The Wii U Thread (Including NNIDs)!

Joshawott said:
I dunno, I'm getting a lot out of it, but that might be because I've never had a PS360 for more than a few days, so I've been playing some of the ports, like Batman and Tekken.

I do wish it had more support though.
I personally think Nintendo made a massive mistake with the Wii U. They are so behind now. Releasing a console which is barely better that what has been on the market for 7-8 years now just as the 'real' next gen consoles are coming is stupid. The reason the Wii managed to survive was mainly because of the casual crowd, guess what, they're not interested in the Wii U, and I wouldn't be surprised if Devs aren't either when they have much better hardware to make games for.

I really can't tell who Nintendo are trying to appeal to anymore. They alienated the core audience with the Wii and now it seems like they are making a half assed attempt to try and bring them back. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Wii all over again - weak hardware, unwanted gimmicks and no third party support. The only person I know who bought a Wii U is a Nintendo fanboy and pretty much only bought it for Mario and Zelda games. The only things I would want from it would be Smash Bros, that new Xenoblade game and a Pokemon game. Even then, the more I see from the new Pokemon games, the quicker I'm losing interest in the series.

Max Takeshi said:
A bit upset (and peeved) that Lego City has performance issues. Was really looking forward to it, but some reviews make it sound like a game breaker. Chances of a day one patch? Please...

Not a good start for the U.

The load times are the only negative thing I can bring up, i've beat the game and it was brillant throughout, it's actually one of the best games i've played this year, alongside Bioshock Infinite. The comedy is top notch, it truly is, I cried with laughter on a lot of the scenes and references.

It's got a ton of side-quests, collectables, new abilites. The City looks and feels a lot bigger once you start playing it, it's got a surprisingly epic ending (In a good way). I really, really can't recommend it enough, a great game for the Wii U.

Dunno if it will be patched, again, if you can deal with those loading times, you will have a lot of fun, it's a brillant game for all ages.

Yesterday, the Virtual Console service went live, with the system update (that improves loading times and such) having gone up the day before.

Guess what's available today? Mothertruckin' EARTHBOUND that's what. £6.99, but I got it for £5 less due to having qualified for a Nintendo Network Premium code....and this purchase qualified me for another.

I got a Wii U today (thought it was a good time to get one since the 2014 games lineup looks pretty cool) and my nintendo id is: Tarahiro

I went to Hyper Japan today and took a look at the amiibo:
Btf7-qzCAAM5XSZ.png

Hyrule Warriors is also fun, but does need a graphical upgrade. Very jaggy.

So I finally took the plunge and bought a ̶B̶a̶y̶o̶n̶e̶t̶t̶a̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ Wii U. Maybe it's a sign of how long it's been since I bought a console that I did not expect a full hour of system updates after turning the machine on. At least the system screen music is soothing.

Having managed to play Mario Kart for about ten minutes last night, today I can't get it running because the software wants to update itself and fails on every attempt. Also cannot seem to register a NNID for myself that is not already taken.

Wii U experience so far: not great.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Wow, that is not a pretty looking game, even by Wii U standards. Like come on, did they even try to put in anti aliasing?

Haha the game has rough edges no doubt, having it play at a steady 60fps seems to be key (outside of local mutl, which is 30fps), but that's the least indicative screenshot, I just wanted to show off my character :p The game actually looks really nice in motion, with loads of colors and nice effects. The "by Wii U standards" comment is unfair too, MK8 looks better than anything else out there in my opinion. That screen is from the main hub, I'll take some in game later if people want :)

Oh, I'll agree with you there. Nintendo always have and always will produce miracles with the graphics they manage to get out of their quite dated hardware. I was talking more third party. I'll also take some jaggies if it means a good 60 fps (Although IIRC MK8 looked gorgeous AND ran at 60, Nintendo are miracle workers) especially in a MP only game.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Oh, I'll agree with you there. Nintendo always have and always will produce miracles with the graphics they manage to get out of their quite dated hardware. I was talking more third party. I'll also take some jaggies if it means a good 60 fps (Although IIRC MK8 looked gorgeous AND ran at 60, Nintendo are miracle workers) especially in a MP only game.

Glad you agree :) Jaggies are a pain, but I'm not too bothered by them in the end as I've come to terms with what the Wii U is capable of. Splatoon is first party too, and it shows. I find that with Wii U games, they look a lot better in motion, just like how 3DS games look better on the hardware itself and look horrible blown up. Even MK8 looks a bit rough when static, but in motion its a joy and Splatoon is the same. The bright and vibrant colors of the paint mixed with the grey urban stages makes from a striking combination.

Splatoon is pretty interesting. Some things I'm less excited by, like the fact that in online multilayer, two stages are in rotation at a single time, so you find yourself playing the same stages again and again, which I guess is good in the sense that it means that you learn the in's and outs but it can also get repetitive. In the end, within the heat of the moment, the gameplay and game mechanics are all you think about, and its super fun and a great, Nintendo twist on the genre. I'm really happy to see Nintendo marketing and pushing this new IP too. In the end, I got it for just under £23 and I would have easily paid £30.

Just got Splatoon myself (Get wrecked, Van Hijackers, Digital Download 4 Lyfe) and the half hour I put in was pretty great.

Could have done without that one match that was pretty much a wash because I was on a team with Lv 2 equipment going up against Lv 15 guys with what looked like an air strike but that's life.

Another thing of note there's a lot fo Squidward images floating about which is nothing if not amusing.

Some of you should add me, my ID is QaizAli :)

Took some more pics, the game is super stylish :) Sorry for the vast amount of pics and the huge sizes :( Hopefully this does a better job of selling the games visuals :p

Splatoon is a great game. I don't really have any friends on the wii u so I'll put up my NNID. Is that a sequence of numbers of your nintendo network name?

I think this Splatoon game would appeal to me on the "dress-up" aspects alone (which is also one of the main reasons I'm an RPG fan). Sadly, I don't have a Wii U and I'm not likely to get one. Maybe that's for the best though if it's a team based game and I ended up dragging everyone down by being rubbish and missing opportunities to progress in favour of examining people's choice of attire.

Back