The Visual Novel Thread

Hit my third bad end in F/SN today, so as I hadn't bothered watching either of the previous ones, I thought I'd watch the Tiger Dojo scene this time. Was quite surprised at how directly they likened the game to a dating sim - the comparison hadn't ever occurred to me before that.

I'm still trying to carve through Fate/Hollow Ateraxia's story. I like the everyday-like events placed in it - but there's a fair few times where it has dragged in dialogue and I wonder "Can we get to the point here, and soon?" I'm currently at the "5th" stage of story development and watched one of the "Eclipse" specials on the main menu.
The story is perfectly fine for me, and there's been a fair number of laughs - Like getting the chance to beat up Berzer-car and the Lancer vs Archer 2 - Angler off section. So far, disappointed in the "Bath" additional events, when 90% of it is about "Oh, her hair SMELLS nice" ... wut?

Kind of feeling that I've climbed to one peak of the mountain, about to celebrate and then... There's still another large peak to hoist yourself up. Give me strength. lol
Oh and instead of the Tiger Dojo - You have to buy things with credits after each attempt to continue the story. I don't mind that at all - but I did love it when Taiga-sensei teaches you what you did wrong. Always very animated - but at least she still has that kind of role somewhere in the game. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there any particular reason it's taken them so long to translate Hollow Ateraxia? I wasn't sure if the lack of haste might be any indication of quality.

Professor Irony said:
Was there any particular reason it's taken them so long to translate Hollow Ateraxia? I wasn't sure if the lack of haste might be any indication of quality.
From what I thought or heard, the translation progress was so long because the attempt was passed on from group-to-group because they lost the ability to continue it. There was also a large time-gap in which one group took over the translation process and a lot of the fans eagerly awaiting the English patch wondered if it was EVER going to be released.

However, I don't know the specifics for these issues.

Fair enough, I'll likely have a go at it myself in time.

Finished the Fate route of F/SN the other night anyway. Glad I stuck with it - it took a bit of perseverance to get through the some of the more expository moments and that ridiculous first sex scene, but I really enjoyed it in the end.

Last week I found out that we actually finished our first playthrough of School Days HQ with the Lust Ending (i.e. Somewhat-Neutral Ending with Kotonoha). And we decided to make another playthrough with different choices, and we actually did better in this one.

I finished it just now and we got the With Honesty Ending (i.e. Good Ending for Sekai).

Spoilers for the route below:
This surprised me in a way, I thought that given Sekai barely appeared in the playthrough that something bad could happen since we went more towards Kotonoha and somehow we managed to avoid that from happening. What also shocked me was that the way Kotonoha was treated, it was well executed in our second route than the first. For instance in the first playthrough we had to pick the film for our first movie date and she had some shy responses but in this case, she pretty much picked the film automatically and got along with Makoto much easier to the point that we even got to see her parents. There was one instance however that NEARLY made me rage out of the room if it had happened but thankfully it was avoided - basically during the swimming trip, Kotonoha nearly joined a group of guys to a VIP room but thanks to the tough response Makoto made (and before complementing how beautiful she was) she decided not to go with them. If she did, it could have possibly ending up giving us a rape scene which would infuriate me because the way she was treated throughout the whole game was great. Now you're probably wondering, why the Sekai ending? Well we had to balance the bar on the top to avoid a possible bad end and my two other mates wanted Makoto to be more towards Sekai and thus we got the With Honesty end thanks to the last choice. If we chose the other choice, something bad could go wrong.

On a funnier note, Makoto ended up still a virgin. LOL.

Finally finished the main story of Fate/HA - And just before New Years Eve, which I'm proud of. :D
I'm very much liking Number 201's "Hollow" so I'm sticking that on my playlist for the foreseeable future. As for the game, I still have to play the side stories, but I enjoyed the whole thing. Wasn't many surprises for me as I knew about most of the general plot before the game was translated for us. But I liked the explanations and the discussions within the game. Certainly learned more about the other Servants in the game, and I got to see more of my favorite trio (not the Black Panther etc, but Sakura, Bazett and Luvia.)

I would probably review it like this:
Story = 3.5-4/5.
As the typical style of TypeMoon VN, there was a lot of "body" in the explanations and character discussions. Fate/HA was probably on a larger scale when you try to average the content given in each scenario, and whether you like to hear every gritty piece of info in it could be either labour-some or enriching. This peaked and fell inconsistently for me, but the events themselves were very refreshing most of the time.
Gameplay = 4/5
Easy to go through - a map display of the different routes and event for the time you are given each play-through, spanning across 4 days - Morning/Afternoon/Night (unless you pick a "school day" to on.) Just click and read, choosing an event if one is appointed. I liked how the event tabs on the map change as each one displays a chibi-character with one expression, changing into another when selected.... simple things, eh? Another thing to point out is that you do a HUGE number of play-throughs for the one storytelling. That is however the entire point of the game, and it's not too hard to figure out what you're supposed to do next in each one - just complete the "!" events for something developing in the main story, or "New" for the other content.
But if you liked how the imagery and text script worked in the other games in the series, then you'd still like how the set up is - with the main body taking up some of the story, the background imagery taking up some more quotes momentarily and how the images move about with an action (sword swings for instance.)
Music/Graphics = 4.5/5
As you know, I'm liking the main intro song. All the art is as you'd expect from the prequel, F/SN. It just focuses on new events and the likes. There's a lot more variety with this game in terms of being able to get more wallpaper content, character profile images, extra sketches etc, as well as the usual movies, music and gallery content. I just need to collect them all to fully appreciate it. (Needs more Taiga/Iliya-chan doodles like on one of the extras.... lol) The Music gallery is filled mainly with stuff already heard before, but the additions work well with it.
Overall: 4/5
As biased as I am, I tried to say the best review I could without the spoilers. I liked the game. Despite a system that is mainly one-click and then read a lot of dialogue, there is a large variety on different ways to go about the events of the game. If inclined to play-through the entire game from start-to-finish again, you can chose to do some thing in another order, except the main storyline. You get a new selection of events per advancement in the main story, but in all a significant change of order can still be achieved. It's flashy when it needs to be, and getting to know 2 sides of the story is something I liked in these VN. I liked it in the "Heaven's Feel" arc in F/SN, and it continued with Shirou/Bazett.
It's quite long for something that's a aftermath of the original game, so it's a story of it's own really, with content and background collected from the other game. A good sequel in my opinion.

I don't believe I noticed this thread before.
I have read a few Visual Novels before, those being Clannad, Little Busters, Air, Kanon, Katawa Shoujo, Steins;Gate, Muv-Luv and Muv-Love alternate.
I am currently reading Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji.
Anyone recommend anything for after I finish this?
I tend to prefer romance themed things and stuff with mystery.

Professor Irony said:

Regardless of the speed, it's a machine translation so the quality is bad.

Professor Irony said:
Fair enough, I'll likely have a go at it myself in time.

Finished the Fate route of F/SN the other night anyway. Glad I stuck with it - it took a bit of perseverance to get through the some of the more expository moments and that ridiculous first sex scene, but I really enjoyed it in the end.
The ending is pretty awesome but it only gets better from fate.

Is Fate Stay Night particularly explicit? I haven't read many VNs, but going by the anime version, it's hard to know how 'far' it goes?

There is this epic relta nua patch on beast's lair that has options pretaining to having the sex scenes on or off. While the sex scenes are stupid, they actually have a purpose plot wise and the things they are replaced with are even more stupid. It would probably better just to cover your eyes and skip through the sex scenes as the do happen and can b important to the characters (last route mainly).

Was away on holiday for a few days, so I thought I'd fire up the DS and try to finally finish Hotel Dusk. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the cartridge, so I started into Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors instead, with which I was suitably impressed. The puzzles aren't greatly taxing and there's some dubious localisation going on in the script, but I've found the story very engaging and I love the 'sinking ship/solve convoluted puzzle rooms to advance' conceit - it reminds me of nothing so much as the Crystal Maze.

Funny that you mention "holiday = VN Catch-up."

Got Steins;Gate for a b-day present earlier this month - And I've rarely stepped out the house in this week whilst using my vacation time.
Eating a meal - Turn on PS3.
Iron clothes - Turn PS3 on.
Nothing planned for the day - Turn PS3 on.
Free time between 2 activities - Turn PS3 on.
I think if someone puts a VN in front of me - I become addicted to it and use all my strength to complete it. orz

This VN has given me so many laughs and so many things I cannot unsee. I think I'm on the last leg of it now, and I wanna go back to finish all the trophies off. This is bad... But at least it's not a continuous game you can play over and over with new ideas or results - like sports games and MMORPGs... otherwise - I'd have no chance of survival. lol

Back