The Visual Novel Thread

Great news about Deardrops! Judging from the demo it addresses the two main issues I had with the ostensibly similar KiraKira: the protagonist in Deardrops is an interesting, personable individual and the game has no characters that come close to being as annoying as Kirari. Can't wait!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Great news about Deardrops! Judging from the demo it addresses the two main issues I had with the ostensibly similar KiraKira: the protagonist in Deardrops is an interesting, personable individual and the game has no characters that come close to being as annoying as Kirari. Can't wait!
Still doesn't look as fun as Dengeki Stryker.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgAWmGkOFdY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgAWmGkOFdY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

It'll be a long time before we see this though.

done Kud's route, very enjoyable. It would be worth while if they done the animation following Kud's route, though it wouldn't surprise me if they did went with something safe, like Rin.

Still Kud's route left some questions unanswered like What that happened after that hysteric conversation on the phone or whether what Riki was seeing with Kud being chained was just their subconsciousness or actually real. I went with the former since it made more sense, but still to meet her at the end unscathed.Maybe the deluxe edition elaborates on certain parts.

Now I'm working on the genki girl

Last edited by a moderator:
Otaku-san said:
done Kud's route, very enjoyable. It would be worth while if they done the animation following Kud's route, though it wouldn't surprise me if they did went with something safe, like Rin.

Still Kud's route left some questions unanswered like What that happened after that hysteric conversation on the phone or whether what Riki was seeing with Kud being chained was just their subconsciousness or actually real. I went with the former since it made more sense, but still to meet her at the end unscathed.Maybe the deluxe edition elaborates on certain parts.
You'll figure it out when you get to Refrain. :D I hope you've done Rin's route already because you have to do it twice, as well as all the other routes to access Refrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
MaxonTreik said:

Dengeki Stryker looks excellent indeed. According to MG's latest blog post the game could be out as early as May. While that sounds a touch optimistic to me, MG seem to have their **** together more than JAST do, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a late Spring/early Summer release.

fabricatedlunatic said:
MaxonTreik said:

Dengeki Stryker looks excellent indeed. According to MG's latest blog post the game could be out as early as May. While that sounds a touch optimistic to me, MG seem to have their **** together more than JAST do, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a late Spring/early Summer release.
Yeah, but I don't think JAST can be entirely blamed for that, at least when it comes to Nitro+. They apparently have this weird thing about VNs being released too quickly and have told JAST to limit releases to one per year, or maybe two years. JAST are really pushing for Steins;Gate to get a quicker release. Of course this sounds like excuses and doesn't explain their other releases taking so god-damn long.

ilmaestro said:
Semi-tempted by LB! on the Vita, higher res art on smaller screen is quite tempting. I feel like you have been impressed by it, Ota-san?

I'm a sucker for Key's stuff, man I hope Kud wafter gets looked into by the same team as well

MaxonTreik said:
You'll figure it out when you get to Refrain. :D I hope you've done Rin's route already because you have to do it twice, as well as all the other routes to access Refrain.

Oh what a pill, there needs to be more hours in the day. I've been going at it at such a placid pace. Anyhow have done Rin's route once already. Went Komori, Rin to Kud now Haruka. Clever how certain things differ on each playthrough

So...who plans to buy a copy of Dear Drops now that it is finally released today? :D

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gCHTWFdFYCA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gCHTWFdFYCA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Just bought myself a copy a few minutes ago...now just have to wait for it to download

I'd rather give them my money for Dengeki Stryker. Deardrops just looks like another Kira Kira to me, and I found Kira Kira rather meh.

MaxonTreik said:
I'd rather give them my money for Dengeki Stryker. Deardrops just looks like another Kira Kira to me, and I found Kira Kira rather meh.

I'm enjoying it more than Kira Kira at the moment to be honest. For starters the characters look awesome, the main character is more likeable than his KiraKira counterpart plus its not set in a School Setting which is rather nice for a change. You should try out the demo Maxon to get a feel for it before judging it

Deardrops and KiraKira are similar in tone, though I agree that the main character is more likeable. In fact I'd say the cast as a whole are a more interesting bunch than KiraKira's.

The only thing that's bothered me so far is that I'm finding a lot of the dialogue reads awkwardly. Not quite in a "written by a non-native speaker" kind of way, more a "this could've used an editor" kind of way. I keep thinking how I'd word certain lines differently. Not a big deal, really, but it can be distracting.

CloudedMinds said:
MaxonTreik said:

I'm enjoying it more than Kira Kira at the moment to be honest. For starters the characters look awesome, the main character is more likeable than his KiraKira counterpart plus its not set in a School Setting which is rather nice for a change. You should try out the demo Maxon to get a feel for it before judging it
I probably will give the demo a try. Don't expect my opinion to change though. I'm usually right about whether or not I'll like something.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The only thing that's bothered me so far is that I'm finding a lot of the dialogue reads awkwardly. Not quite in a "written by a non-native speaker" kind of way, more a "this could've used an editor" kind of way. I keep thinking how I'd word certain lines differently. Not a big deal, really, but it can be distracting.
I'm pretty sure that's a common problem with MG's releases. I haven't seen quite so much of what JAST have to offer, so I can't comment on their editing.

right so finished Little Buster a couple days ago, loved the Refrain arc, if a bit repetitive from seeing the story at different perspectives. Though that's part of it's charm as well. Plus found out today that Kurugaya's arc is better on the second play through. Anyhow I'm sure there are lots of little conversations that I've yet to uncover.

Now I'm on Katawa Shoujo blazed past Emi's arc to then find I'm halfway through Shizune's arc. Only to be blind sighted that there's no Misha arc. I mean What The Hell!! 4LS, spend 5 years on a game, to not include an arc on the girl with sex hair (and figure)!
I continue it anyhow since there's been a lot of effort gone into other elements, such as falling blossom and animated sequences. Which amazes me why Key haven't bothered trying the same elements.

I've spent the last two days reading Little Busters as the anime announcement reminded me to get to it. Unsurprisingly I have to agree that the Refrain route was far and away the best. Of the actual girls' routes it's a close call between Haruka's and Mio's.

MikeP said:
I've spent the last two days reading Little Busters as the anime announcement reminded me to get to it. Unsurprisingly I have to agree that the Refrain route was far and away the best. Of the actual girls' routes it's a close call between Haruka's and Mio's.
Haruka's route doesn't get enough love. It's rather sad.

MaxonTreik said:
MikeP said:
Haruka's route doesn't get enough love. It's rather sad.

It's not that I minded Haruka's route, but it certainly had some WTH moments on my part

If I was going to choose one of the routes to go WTH at it would be Kud. I'm still unsure of what happened towards the end of that, and whether it was supposed to fit in with "the secret of the world" from Refrain.

Back