The Visual Novel Thread

But how can anyone know this until they have read it?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take long to find "proper" VNs that "aren't that good".

But is it though? Do you seriously read reviews from 1up and IGN and then decide what games to buy, for example? Do people wait to see Paul Ross 5/5 before they go to see Transformers?

How could anyone come to the decision that it wasn't very good if everyone had to wait for someone else to give them their opinion?

The way the entertainment industry works for most plebs is a) how much advertising did something get and b) how much will it cost me.

Not to mention, I've seen a lot of people elsewhere enjoying the title, and C) Peer recommendation
is also a fairly valid form of rating.

Perhaps it's not the best VN, but as my first foray into the medium, I found the writing at least an enjoyable read, and thats all I was expecting/hoping for.

Out of interest, as it sounds like you've played quite a few from flicking around, what's wrong with Kawata/what do other VN's do much better or offer that Katawa doesn't? I'm guessing others offer more minigames or interaction perhaps?

I've certainly read books that weave more gripping tales than most books, too. Time to stop wasting my time reading books, I guess!

/confused

ilmaestro said:
But is it though? Do you seriously read reviews from 1up and IGN and then decide what games to buy, for example? Do people wait to see Paul Ross 5/5 before they go to see Transformers?

How could anyone come to the decision that it wasn't very good if everyone had to wait for someone else to give them their opinion?
Reviews aren't the only way to access information. Whatever happened to research? Do you just blindly buy things that you think look cool? I'd like to think you don't, and prefer looking for more information.

alexrose1uk said:
Out of interest, as it sounds like you've played quite a few from flicking around, what's wrong with Kawata/what do other VN's do much better or offer that Katawa doesn't? I'm guessing others offer more minigames or interaction perhaps?
The art for the CGs is pretty bad and inconsistent and the backgrounds are just photos. The sex scenes are awkward as hell and shoehorned in just because. The routes aren't bad but they're nothing special at all and I was expecting better considering the theme of the VN. To be honest, the only credit I can give it is that is has nice music.

Kyaku said:
To be honest, I'm not big into VNs, in fact I think they are only really worth it for the naughty parts because wow, I've certainly read books that can weave more gripping tales than most VNs

1322798437001.png

I hear you need key?

MaxonTreik said:
ilmaestro said:

Reviews aren't the only way to access information. Whatever happened to research? Do you just blindly buy things that you think look cool? I'd like to think you don't, and prefer looking for more information.
Research via what? The thorough investigative journalism you get from entertainment industry coverage? If I think I might like a film, I go see it. If I think I might like a game, I play it. Obviously if I see a news story like "this game doesn't work" or "this film is in Ukrainian with no subtitles" I will have a second think, but someone saying "hey... this isn't so good bro" is hardly going to sway me too much, because there aren't enough people out there whose opinions match mine closely enough for me to care.

Surely you don't just watch and read things that other people say are good or well made? I'd like to think you were an independent enough thinker that you don't.

ilmaestro said:
MaxonTreik said:
ilmaestro said:

Research via what? The thorough investigative journalism you get from entertainment industry coverage? If I think I might like a film, I go see it. If I think I might like a game, I play it. Obviously if I see a news story like "this game doesn't work" or "this film is in Ukrainian with no subtitles" I will have a second think, but someone saying "hey... this isn't so good bro" is hardly going to sway me too much, because there aren't enough people out there whose opinions match mine closely enough for me to care.

Surely you don't just watch and read things that other people say are good or well made? I'd like to think you were an independent enough thinker that you don't.
That's not what I'm saying at all, but you seem to be intentionally not getting the point just to argue more with me, so I'm done with you on this, and this is getting off topic.

MaxonTreik said:
The art for the CGs is pretty bad and inconsistent and the backgrounds are just photos. The sex scenes are awkward as hell and shoehorned in just because. The routes aren't bad but they're nothing special at all and I was expecting better considering the theme of the VN. To be honest, the only credit I can give it is that is has nice music.

To be fair I didn't mind the warpsharp photo backgrounds, despite the nature of the beast, it offered a pseudo-realism and some of them at least looked pleasant. I pretty much ignored the sex scenes as I wasn't exploring it for those.
I haven't played enough of the routes to give a full appraisal of the story and I can imagine other professional titles might have better writing, but I thought it could have been far worse in the writing stakes, I was expecting poor, sloppy writing all over the shop, which wasn't actually the case for Shizune's arc, it was certainly enough for me to reach the end.

I also quite liked the music, they've made it free for download if you hadn't seen :)

G Senjou no Maou is a bit good, innit? The first couple of hours were the usual high school shenanigans, but once the story gets moving it's hard to stop reading. Someone needs to kill Kanon though.

And I got My Girlfriend is the President yesterday. Looks totally goofy but should be good for a laugh.

G-Senjou is decent, although it does get a bit ridiculous once you get far into the true route. If you want a fantastic VN by Akabeisoft2, you should read Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo. The concept is pretty good and doesn't suffer from being too slow at the beginning. It also has Norio Wakamoto.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t32tp13I9ko?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t32tp13I9ko?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Somehow I managed to get onto Tsubaki's route despite choosing to investigate Maou with Haru rather than get involved with Tsubaki and her family.

Sharin no Kuni sounds good. Think I'll finally get around to playing Ever 17 first though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back