The Visual Novel Thread

The problem is that you can choose to omit the sex in Katawa Shoujo. I don't have to spell out the implications of that.

While I do agree with you, Fabio, about sex being a powerful event on an emotional level, it's not the only highlight of a relationship and I'd like to see emotional connection beyond the horizontal dance. Basically, variety is the spice of life.

Edit: I think it's also important to point out that they're reducing their market presence if they reduce themselves to the adult market.

Well it may be cookie-cutter but i personally found most of the paths to be very emotionally engaging...

The music really is good though heh

As for the sex scenes, the impact of disabling them probably only really affects two routes i'd say

Now, I'm not going to deny the obvious and claim that sex scenes in visual novels aren't intended to titillate, because most of them are, but a) I don't necessarily think that's a problem, and b) they can also be touching and powerful climaxes (no pun intended... I think) to well-developed character relationships.

This is a perfectly good point of course. And I agree, there isn't anything wrong with using sex in games, for those purposes. I guess it's just a) I have become used to thinking that nearly all the sex in Japanese (or the style of them at least) VN's is pretty poorly done, and b) from what I've read the sex in Katawa Shoujo is pretty poorly done, they may not actually have included it for the purposes of titillation at all, but the scene's don't sound very enjoyable in any other sense either. Though, I guess I'm a bit quick to judge it, seeing as I haven't played it.

MaxonTreik said:
In case anyone is interested, an English patch for Rewrite, the latest Key visual novel, is out.

Oh My...Glob!

I'm gonna be all over this
Have to say that was sooner then I expected for a patch to be released, I was thinking I'd be working on Little Busters ME before this

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing he still needs to think over it. From how he worded it, it most be good but complex or under/over-welming at parts.

I case anyone wondered, I've well long and truly dropped Katawa Shoujo now. I just never mentioned it because well, Fallout 3. Oh and osu! That's neither here nor there

It actually just slipped my mind.

I have mixed feelings about the character routes. It probably has something to do with the fact that there were 3 different writers. This is the same problem Little Busters had. Too many writers leads to inconsistencies. Kotori's route served as a good info dump route, and was probably the best one overall. Chihay's route felt like the "shounen" route since it had a lot of action and not so much angst or character development. Shizuru's route felt rather short, but at least she's the best girl. As for Lucia and Ayane, their routes were filled with angst and they got old fast, although the horror style of the beginning of Lucia's route was quite well done. Moon route was probably the best route, which is sad since it was only about 3 hours long. At least it has this awesome OP. Terra route had its moments, but I felt the way it ended kind of just brushed aside the central problem/crisis with a "it'll probably work out in the future". I also don't understand why Kotarou (the main character) had such a big personality change in that route.

As is typical with Key visual novels Kotarou is a competent main character, though I feel that Key are relying a little too much on prankster characters. The support cast is pretty good as always too. I don't know if it's just me, but I always seem to think the men are always more interesting and funny than the women. The women themselves are still fine though. I really like that Kotarou's childhood friend Kotori actually plays along with Kotarou's jokes/trolling. She seems to be one of the few Key girls I've seen that actually has a sense of humour. Yoshino was pretty good as the reluctant friend. I do hate Kagari though. I'm not sure why Kotarou falls in love with her when she has the charisma of a turnip and a personality about as interesting as cardboard.

The music is great as always. The art seems to have improved from previous visual novels. It might have something to do with having new staff or higher production values. Whatever the case, it's less "Am I kawaii uguu~" so people put off by the usual Key art can probably tolerate it.

If I had to rank it, I'd say it's below Clannad and maybe equal to or a little below Little Busters.

So anyone else read Dra+Koi, now that it's been released? Just finished reading it and I found it quite satisfying. Not my favourite out of the short Nitroplus titles but still pretty good anyway. The soundtrack was fantastic too. I don't think I disliked any of the songs.

It's only like 2 hours long so I'd recommend it to anyone with a few hours to kill.

Recent news!

Jast's visual novel/RPG Yumina the Ethereal has finally (FINALLY) gone golden master and should be out at the beginning of August. Huzzah!

MangaGamer have announced the release of Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo 2, the prequel and sequel to the excellent Kara no Shoujo. They have a lot on their plate at the moment but for Cartagra they'll be using the completed, previously C&D'd fan translation, so hopefully that'll be out sometime this year.

EXCITED!

Well the initial translation was really rushed so the translation wasn't very good and it didn't get edited or QC'd properly either so I imagine quite a few people who actually care about translation quality held off reading it. There were probably problems trying to get 5pb's consent too, considering it's more of a 5pb game than a Nitroplus one.

Anyway, Jast also announced Shiny Days, Shoujo Mahou Gaku Little Witch Romanesque and the fandisc for My Girlfriend is the President for anyone who is interested.

Greenmeido said:
Well the initial translation was really rushed so the translation wasn't very good and it didn't get edited or QC'd properly either so I imagine quite a few people who actually care about translation quality held off reading it. There were probably problems trying to get 5pb's consent too, considering it's more of a 5pb game than a Nitroplus one.
Are you implying I don't care about translation quality? If you are, you are incorrect. It's just that my desire to read it was greater than my caring about translation. I'm sure many who have read it felt the same way.

Looks like the Angel Beats visual novel is now official.

1380281554829.jpg

Back