The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Solid slight above average I'd say. (It's 5.5 to 6/10 in my books.)
The premise is kind of pretty dumb and most of the setting is hard to take serious, which fits the comedic tone. The title's biggest asset is that it manages to incoporate a good bunch pretty real RL issues into it. But almost all of them are high school-student-school-education-family-build your identy-related though, so if you're out of that age, there is probably not as much identification value anymore. (And even if, the west has by far not as much pressured cramming.) It's also somewhat more episodic in S1. There is some adult side, too, but it mostly comes around S2-wise, along with getting more dramatical, as the premise's plot comes looming.
Anime production wise it's neither terrible nor anything special, was just servicable to me. (Read: it's visually pretty static for the most part, but stays on-model about all the time.) S2 had its moments at the midline at some drama parts (FukuJun doing a really good job) and some low lights at some action mini-arc. (Too much shacky cam trying to hide that they just couldn't get someone specializing in action animation for a fight that was even quite pivotal.)
S1 ist kinda slow imo, almost felt streched compared to the source material. S2 in turn picks up the pace a good deal in order for fit everything in. (S1 was I think 8 volumes. Total volumes are 21.) It's not really butchered in the anime, also is ok if you have it to some snoballing effect. But it's conceivable.

Trivia side note: There is a character in this show, which looks extremely like of Doramon's Gian and even has the same voice actor. (Kimura Subaru.) A recurring trait of Doraemon is that every episode (or even half episode) resets itself into having never happened, so every single lessons learned the characters ever have gets scrapped along with that. Watching AC was like seeing how that Gian actually managed to grow up.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide pictures of the innards of the AL Patema Inverted collector's edition? I can only find pictures of the Kickstarter "ultimate edition."

Wow, that was actually a bit lower than what I had hoped for lol.
Well, going by premise I'm not really the target audience, so it was actually a neat surprise that it managed so many down to earth-relatable level topics within this absurd premise. Also gotta give it to the manga author for having the galls to have a protagonist with a literal smiley face head whilst making it work at the same time. (Think about what a genius move that is to reduce the deadly workload of drawing the weekly chapters!) The covers of the manga are equally just Koro's Smiley faces, but as the volumes go on it's also an example of how even smileys can have quite a variety. (And then comes the last volume that breaks the combo, whilst still having a smiley facing, by utilizing the moon.)

If you are mean, this is the child-friendly version of GTO as it can hide everything questionable behind a gag. It never really gets really perverted (beyond recurring gags), nor is sexuality really ever a thing. (Beyond miss Bitch-sensei who is equally played for a gag in almost all cases.) That is, if you ignore what questionable reputation tentacles have. But they are never used like that in the show. (Though at some scenes it's probably very much playing with it without every saying it.)

About the dub btw - I rather discourage from it. The show lives and falls with the voice actors (as it's not really all that visually engaging for the most part) and Koro's FukuJun voice is pretty hard to beat. At least I didn't last more than 5 minutes in the English dub.

Would $42 be worth it for the blu-rays? Both seasons.
It's 2 seasons of two cour episodes. price wise for the length that's pretty cheap. It's also decidedly cheaper than what I paid for the half sets, lol.
Btw. Everything aside those two seasons is pretty dismissabl. The movie is just a recap with some new scenes and those new scenes aren't saying much new that's not kinda obvious from the end of S2. Koro quest is a RPG parody on what could be considered a parody of real life already. It found it entirely forgettable. (But then, I'm also no gamer.)

I thought the movie was a sequel, damn, gotta read a bit more up on it then.
The frame story of the movie is indeed a sequel. But that's like... 5-7 minutes or something? of it. It's pretty much just two of the character who return a year later after their school time ended to reminicence over their life there.

Somebody is asking if they could use their Germany blu ray player (which presumably should be B) to play my US Strawberry Panic DVD release.

I play my stuff on PC, the thing is just a bunch of Vob files and the like and I was able to play the disc with no region hacks.

Does that mean this blu ray player the person has should be able to play it with no problems either?

(I don't really have a clue about normal players and Region codes, Especially for DVDs. I've had quite some acquantainances who jumped for the DVD version a few years ago, just because their players would play the RC1 DVD with ease, but wouldn't for A BDs.)

Region coding is completely different between Blu-ray (A, B and C) and DVD (0 trough 8). As @Relaxo indicated VLC generally ignores the region coding for DVDs. So being able to play it back it in VLC tells you very little.

Ultimately it will depend on the actual region(s) of the DVD and if their Blu-ray player enforces DVD region codes. Some players have ways to make them region-free or switch region, but that greatly varies between devices.

Would these shows/movie be worth picking up?

No Game, No Life
No Game, No Life Zero
Kokoro Connect

I always found people review NGNL as either really good or meh. I really enjoyed it. Good if you're ok with a bit of Ecchi. Is it still on CR? If so it might be worth giving it a few episodes

Kokoro Connect I'm still refusing to watch

Why won't you watch Kokoro? - The story seems interesting, and it's on CR, so I'll be watching the first episode.
While I don't mind jokes and know full well Japanese Events/TV is different than what we have in the UK

The way they treated Ichiki was still really shi••y. If they have zero respect for a VA then I have no interest in watching the show

While I don't mind jokes and know full well Japanese Events/TV is different than what we have in the UK

The way they treated Ichiki was still really shi••y. If they have zero respect for a VA then I have no interest in watching the show
I just read what happened:

Blimey! I guess they were trying to replicate the mind-f**kery the characters experience in the plot, but putting fictional characters through that is one thing, but to do it in real life is in very poor taste.

Well it's too late for me as I have already watched it and for what it's worth I enjoyed it quite a lot. The character development through said mind-f**kery is very interesting.

I thought Kokoro Connect was pretty meh, I didn't care for it much at all. I watched it with the next-door neighbor girl in my theater about 6 months ago; we sat through the entire series but she didn't care for it either. The only thing of any interest in the show for me was best girl Inaba. I have my Sentai Blu-ray on my To Sell pile. In contrast, both of us loved MMO Junkie and ReLife - we watched MMO junkie just before and ReLife just after Kokoro Connect - those are two of my neighbor's favorite anime now.

Last edited:
Oh my, how time passes... I've heard of the prank when the show aired. Still the boycott was a bit sad, as the show isn't altogether terrible either and it's also glossing over the people of the project who must have worked hard on it. (But that's just the thing with those loose-loose situations...)
Contentwise I would say solid slight above average. (Personally the most interesting part of it was how it was pretty blantantly trying to give it some KyoAni charm. And quite some does feel quite reminicent, it's stuck at there, just reminicent.)

NGNL is indeed a show you either like or hate in terms of characters. The two protagonists are, while presented as geniuses in one way, utterly pathethic and unable to properly live. They are essentially trolling their way though their isekai adventures. They are two very questionable characters, but everybody including themselves knows that. But at the same time, they also have their serious moments and useful sides. Essentially depends on whether those trolls feel overboard to you or not. Like their treatment of Steph in pretty bad, but at the same time, she has every freedom to just walk away, but doesn't, so in a way I don't really feel all that sorry for her either.
Personally I liked the optimistic part of it most. It's clearly an escapism fantasy, most literally in the show as well, but if you are at it already, might as well as simply enjoy it.
Direction wise it's really well put together (but the strong saturated colours may not be everyone's cup of tea), both the colorful moments and the sober ones. And there are a whole bunch of Otaku references to pick up. (It even has a Hyouka reference!) And that hopeful/optimistic note is strong there as well. Has a bit of an uplifting effect, too.

I just don't really like the Zero movie though. It's using the same pattern, while being really dark and sober and the main characters aren't such questionable individuals, so the face value cringy parts don't even feel like a troll, but just cringy. I guess another problem is that Riku is set out to be this respectful tragic hero, so the scale of bad things that happens in there kind of just feels undeserved. Alongside that the games (or the bluffing/trolling) part of it is somewhat weak. (The LN handled it better, the movie cut it short in favor of focusing on the romance drama.)

Back