The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Okay, so here is an odd request. Since I added Game of Thrones Season 4 to my library, the alphabetical order I had my anime DVDs is in has been ruined. I was forced to put Ergo Proxy before Death Note because Death Note wouldn't fit in the gap I had on the shelf due to its rather large size. This is an issue I am looking to rectify. So, can anyone recommend any good shows that start with the letters A-D? Shows that can easily be obtained on DVD and preferably not available on Blu Ray (At least Region B Blu Ray) too. These are the shows I already own with said letters:
-Azumanga Daioh
-Berserk
-Blade and Soul
-Claymore
-Cowboy Bebop the Movie
-Death Note
-Akira
-Berserk The Movie 1
-Cowboy Bebop
-Durarara

I realise this is a bizarre request but I hope someone can help me!

My first thoughts are Ah my Goddess and Canaan, though the formers a romance so I'm not sure if it would be your sort of thing. Black Cat's a pretty fun show too. All three occasionally come up on deal of the week so you could get them cheap if you're willing to wait.

Well not all that helpful but though I would mention the only shows I own that fit your criteria (at least, I think they do) which are Darker than Black and Birdy the Mighty Decode. Darker than Black is fantastic (I really want a BD of this) and I couldn't tell you about Birdy the Mighty as I've yet to watch it, drunk me bought it off eBay because I thought the girl on the box (Birdy, I presume) was cute haha drunk me is a bit odd.

Other than options given, there's Baka & Test, as well as Bamboo Blade.

EDIT: Wipe out Baka & Test, just looked for you and it's quietly gone OOP.

@Buzzkillington I actually have seen Darker Than Black and enjoyed it a fair bit. It's a show I've been holding out for a BD (That doesn't come in an awful looking box) on although I could buy the DVD and upgrade later. It even starts with Da meaning I wouldn't have to compromise my alphabetical order at all :lol:

@Dannielle Baka and Test has been a show I've had on my PTW pile, I'll consider it. The Region 1 sets look still in print and rather cheap to boot so that's fine. Bamboo Blade would probably be a no go, I don't really have any interest in sports anime.

Bubblegum Crisis is pretty ace and fairly cheap on DVD (though it is possible to get on Blu-ray, it's pretty difficult).

Edit: 5cm per seconds JP name is "Byousoku 5 Centimeter" according to MAL, so you could cheat and use that too...

NoSurprises said:
Bubblegum Crisis is pretty ace and fairly cheap on DVD (though it is possible to get on Blu-ray, it's pretty difficult).

It is? I'm not sure if we're having conflicting definitions on cheap but looking on amazon, the complete set is like £40.

I watched Birdy the Mighty Decode a couple months ago, pretty enjoyable, i'd recommend giving it a go. Only other one in my collection from A-D i'd recommend is Corpse Princess. Both series you could probably get for around £15-20 at most.

NoSurprises said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
NoSurprises said:

It is? I'm not sure if we're having conflicting definitions on cheap but looking on amazon, the complete set is like £40.
Pow eBay!, not spotted set 2 yet though.

Set 2 looks like it would be a bit of an issue :p

IncendiaryLemon said:
Set 2 looks like it would be a bit of an issue :p
Doh', seems like there's 3 sets. Technically the episodes are all pretty stand alone and run between 25-50 mins, they're more like mini-movies where the characters are the only real continuity, so you could get away with not getting all of them (even though you should, because like I said, it's great!).

IncendiaryLemon said:
So, can anyone recommend any good shows that start with the letters A-D?
On page 90, this thread finally found its true purpose. :lol:

I really like both BakaTes and Canaan, to back up other people's recommendations.

I have to say, you should really strongly consider Bamboo Blade. I think there's plenty of cute girls doing cute things aspects that should keep you happy even if you end up struggling with the "sports" aspects. I think there's enough variety in sports anime that it's risky to assume you will or won't like all of them (quite a few seem to have other elements as well).

A-Channel is handily early in the alphabet. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get at a good price but I do recall that it was originally $19.99 for the blu-ray (seems to be higher at the moment, though maybe it'll be in a sale somewhere). I wouldn't say it was one of the better shows of the type but I'm quite fond of it.

I don't have my lists handy at the moment so I'd have to think about other good options (I expect there are some obvious ones that I can't think of at the moment). Baka & Test is pretty good as others have mentioned, I guess D-Frag is kind of along similar lines to it as well (but also different).

Does Haganai count? The full title technically starts with a B. I think you might enjoy that one.

Smeelia said:
Does Haganai count? The full title technically starts with a B. I think you might enjoy that one.

That depends what's written on the spine :p

Another question, in the Christmas sales, how long does it normally take for AL to dispatch orders? I've only used the store once before last year and it took forever to get my order. I think that was an anomaly so I was wondering what the normal time is like.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Smeelia said:

That depends what's written on the spine :p

Another question, in the Christmas sales, how long does it normally take for AL to dispatch orders? I've only used the store once before last year and it took forever to get my order. I think that was an anomaly so I was wondering what the normal time is like.

For me it's always been rather quick. Arrives the working day after next. So ordered Monday arribed on Wednesday. The funny thing... I only usually get information that they've dispatched it the same day it arrives which is kind of funny.

Back