The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

I'm back for more recommendations!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me any shows similar to Berserk. As in, low fantasy, mild magical/supernatural elements, super violent/gory. Closest I can think is Claymore but I've already seen that.

Any recommendations would be great!

Most of my favourite fantasy shows fall at the final hurdle but Basilisk might apply to if you don't mind ninja (with some fantastical abilities) rather than a typical western(ish) fantasy setting. In a similar vein I still haven't managed to get to the anime adaptation but the manga of Blade of the Immortal would be a fine choice too.

R

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'm back for more recommendations!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me any shows similar to Berserk. As in, low fantasy, mild magical/supernatural elements, super violent/gory. Closest I can think is Claymore but I've already seen that.

Any recommendations would be great!

Have you seen the classic Ninja Scroll? That's got the violence, supernatural and retro feel. Blu-ray is gorgeous.

B*stard, Legend of the Legendary Heroes and Shigurui, all have fantasy elements with violence. I'll say Record of Lodoss War, too, since it's a great fantasy series.

Rui said:
Most of my favourite fantasy shows fall at the final hurdle but Basilisk might apply to if you don't mind ninja (with some fantastical abilities) rather than a typical western(ish) fantasy setting. In a similar vein I still haven't managed to get to the anime adaptation but the manga of Blade of the Immortal would be a fine choice too.

R

Suggestions noted!

NormanicGrav said:
Have you seen the classic Ninja Scroll? That's got the violence, supernatural and retro feel. Blu-ray is gorgeous.

I have not, but I just saw it's a Madhouse production so I'm sure to now!

Jatz said:
B*stard, Legend of the Legendary Heroes and Shigurui, all have fantasy elements with violence. I'll say Record of Lodoss War, too, since it's a great fantasy series.

Added these too. I also must say how redundant of a title Legend of the Legendary Heroes is :lol:

IncendiaryLemon said:
Added these too. I also must say how redundant of a title Legend of the Legendary Heroes is :lol:

It's an awful title (wonder how many seconds it took to come up with) and I'm not a big fan of it, but it has the stuff you're looking for.

Here's one for the hivemind:

I dug out my DVD set of FLCL a couple of days ago and discovered that:

1. I'm clearly getting old and can't remember stuff that happens in shows anymore,
2. This state of affairs actually ROCKS, because big chunks of FLC are new to me again,

and

3. I REALLY do not like the picture quality on the DVD. Jagged lines everywhere.

So, I'm now considering picking the show up on Blu Ray. Can anybody tell me how the show fares in HD? Is the upgrade in format worthwhile?

HdE said:
Here's one for the hivemind:

I dug out my DVD set of FLCL a couple of days ago and discovered that:

1. I'm clearly getting old and can't remember stuff that happens in shows anymore,
2. This state of affairs actually ROCKS, because big chunks of FLC are new to me again,

and

3. I REALLY do not like the picture quality on the DVD. Jagged lines everywhere.

So, I'm now considering picking the show up on Blu Ray. Can anybody tell me how the show fares in HD? Is the upgrade in format worthwhile?
Funny that you ask that now considering this was posted just yesterday.
The short of it is that the BD is an upscale.

Unfortunately, I'm now so old that I now can't remember what I asked, or why you're posting that.

I kid! I kid! Thanks for that, Mangaranga. Unfortunately, the images in that post aren't displaying for me.

Thank you very much, Incendiary!

Y'know what? I'm gonna pull the trigger on that. I just love this show too much not to.

Thanks for the speedy replies, folks. I love how our little community helps each other out with this stuff. :D

Wow, people beating up on the title of DenYuuDen? :-/ Good luck finding titles that interesting in a year's time when 85% of your show titles contain the words "isekai" and "tensei".

When I bought the Blue Exorcist sets from Aniplex, someone pointed out that the video quality in the Manga releases were identical. Is the same true for the Blue Exorcist movie?

DragonBlaze67 said:
Just started a one month sub to Crunchyroll by accident (meant to cancel after my trial ended) so does anyone have shows they'd recommend that aren't simulcasts? I can access the USA/Canada region through my tablet/PS3 if that makes any difference to the recommendations.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shirobako (unless I missed it, where's our resident obsessive?).

Regarding "Legend of the Legendary Heroes", the title does kind of work in the context of the show since there were in-universe Legendary Heroes that kind of set the world on it's path and that's relevant to our current characters and the Legend they're creating (the one you'd be watching/reading). Something like that anyway, I may be explaining it poorly.

If I remember correctly, it's a pretty good show up until around episode 22 where there's a decent moment to end things and then the story continues and spirals out of control with constant random changes and developments. I suppose it almost becomes a trailer for the books, showing events but not necessarily what led to them or the overall context. It did also seem to mess up all of the characters and story a bit, though perhaps it always planned to go that way and I wouldn't have enjoyed it even if they'd actually done another season to take their time with things.

Just by way of giving a different opinion, I didn't really get on too well with Legend of the Legendary Legends.

I picked it up on somebody else's fervent recommendation some months back, during one of my 'need to watch something besides mecha shows' phases. I'm actually halfway through putting together a Youtube review of it for early next year, but it was a tough one to stand back from and work out how to approach.

Suffice to say, I think it's an absolute mess, story-wise. It has some neat stuff going on in it, and if you enjoy dubs, it's fun to hear J. Michael Tatum, Luci Christian and Ian Sinclair having an obviously good time. But if you want a fulfilling story... forget it.

HdE said:
Just by way of giving a different opinion, I didn't really get on too well with Legend of the Legendary Legends.

I picked it up on somebody else's fervent recommendation some months back, during one of my 'need to watch something besides mecha shows' phases. I'm actually halfway through putting together a Youtube review of it for early next year, but it was a tough one to stand back from and work out how to approach.

Suffice to say, I think it's an absolute mess, story-wise. It has some neat stuff going on in it, and if you enjoy dubs, it's fun to hear J. Michael Tatum, Luci Christian and Ian Sinclair having an obviously good time. But if you want a fulfilling story... forget it.
I wouldn't say that's too different to how I felt about it. I did somewhat enjoy it (I believe I did watch the dub too), though it's probably one of those shows that I enjoy certain moments/episodes but doesn't hold up quite so well overall.

I don't think this would really qualify for the original criteria (especially the super violent/gory part) but I think it's worth mentioning Twelve Kingdoms because it's really a great fantasy story in general. It does cover some content that would probably qualify as "dark", though I don't think there's anything close to the sort of things that happen in Berserk. Most importantly, it has some really great character development that's probably worth seeing if you like that kind of thing and even if you don't normally watch shows in the genre. On the downside, that does mean that some of the characters may be tougher to deal with at certain times (apparently some people struggle to get into the show to begin with, though I didn't find that to be a problem myself).

I'm not sure how easy to get the Media Blasters Blu-ray release is now though. It seems like a decent release and is Region B playable so it's a good option if you can get your hands on it. I guess someone else might do a new release of it at some point, it'd be an interesting option for Anime Limited but I very much doubt that'd happen. I couldn't really see it doing well enough over here, though you never know.

Back