The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

Not bad.

I picked up the 6 volumes that make up the first three series of Bleach for £20 in total - so though my shelf space potentially suffers, I don't have to shell out as much as I would have done for the box sets.

(though I suppose strictly speaking Bleach was post-singles era, ie. they're 13 ep releases instead of the traditional 4 - but still, the volumes are very cheap second hand these days)

I don't ever sell my anime, but I don't put my discs in sleeves either. Due to their sheer bulk singles still fill my shelves (and my Japanese purchases are usually singles too) so it still feels as though it wasn't so long ago that it was the norm to purchase anime that way.

R

It does feel very much like their was a sea change sometime around 2009 when singles started to die out. Was there any specific cause, or did they just fall out of fashion?

Lutga said:
It does feel very much like their was a sea change sometime around 2009 when singles started to die out. Was there any specific cause, or did they just fall out of fashion?

I'm not really sure what happened, it feels like I looked away from Anime for a bit and when I looked back it was all 13 ep sets (well MvM were still doing some singles)

Perhaps it was linked to ADV dieing out?

The anime market in USA experienced significant decline between 2006-2009. The market was flooded with too many titles, too much crap and because everyone was making top dollar in the few years beforehand, the Japanese license holders Wed charging more money and the usa companies were ok with it as they didn't foresee the market declining as bad as it did (think it shrunk by half in a couple of years).

This then led to the collapse of geneon in late 2007 and adv films in 2009. The market in its then form just wasnt capable of mantaining itself and it had to adapt or die.

Anime then transitioned from 4 episode volumes to half or full season sets. Companies stopped doing things like art boxes for cost saving measures.

Manga had already found success in this format from 2006 with their naruto unleashed releases and most of their successive titles began following this format too.

After the us market began moving this direction im sure mvm and beez would've followed suit but then of course beez too shut down not too long ago due to financial difficulties.

britguy said:
After the us market began moving this direction im sure mvm and beez would've followed suit but then of course beez too shut down not too long ago due to financial difficulties.

I thought Beez died because Bandai pulled out of releasing Anime themselves, first they killed the US arm, then the European.

I think in the UK, Manga led the charge to half season box sets when they started releasing Naruto Unleashed, Bleach and Death Note and they were the last HUGE Shonen Jump shows (outside of Yu-Gi-Oh!). With those franchises leading the charge, ADV dying, and more fans getting frustrated at series not seeing full single releases before going to Boxsets (i.e. Noein), the half season/full season sets became more popular.

Plus the increase in the ease of access to fansubs/piracy in the broadband age meant companies had to release shows on a quicker schedule and for better value.

That's a very brief version of how I see it as someone was starting to buy anime around that time.

Rosencrantz said:
britguy said:

I thought Beez died because Bandai pulled out of releasing Anime themselves, first they killed the US arm, then the European.

Yes and one of the reasons for bandai pulling out was because of the ridiculous losses some of the arms are making. I've heard half a million euros touted for losses by beez fr

I've noticed that Hellsing Ultimate 9 & 10 is available on Amazon.com. It's a combo pack which I don't want though. Does anyone know when the DVD version will be released by any chance please?

http://www.amazon.com/Hellsing-Ultimate ... g+ultimate

It's the same with AoT too. I wanted to check the US and Aus versions to see if there was more than just the commentaries available as extras on the DVD only versions but all I can see is the combo pack again :(

All of Funimation's releases are Blu-ray/DVD combo packs these days (unless a re-release of an old show that was DVD-only). Your best bet is to wait for Manga to release the episodes here, which shouldn't be TOO far away.

They don't usually release DVD-only sets in the US when there's a combo pack available. There are a few exceptions, where they do a special DVD-only pack for a mainstream store as an exclusive, but the idea behind combo packs is that they'll appeal to both BD and DVD buyers and customers get both versions at the same time for the same price as a DVD-only or BD-only set.

It's actually cheaper for the companies to put both versions together in one set as they only need to market one product and they save on storage/transport and picking, and at the same time customers build up a library of BD titles ready or when they want to upgrade in future without having to re-purchase their favourite shows. So in most cases there wouldn't be much of a market for them to make DVD-only packs as well.

R

Cheers to you both. I guess I'll see what happens on the grape vinen regarding the release as I guess forward thinking, having the combo pack would be handy for the day when DVD becomes VHS and I must move on to BluRay lol but we'll see as I kinda want my Hellsing at least, to match with the other volumes I have in terms of packaging. I didnt end up doing that with Bleach and I forever hate my Season 7 lolololol.

Has anyone ordered Attack on Titan part 2 limited edition with art box from UP1USA? If so does it work out a lot cheaper after postage than the normal UP1?

You'll likely save about £6, looking at it atm it's gnna be about £61 vs £53 (item and shipping) from UP1 vs UP1USA

Then you have to factor in any foreign currency fee your card might charge as UP1USA charge in US Dollars. Visa debit usually is £1, Visa Credit will usually be about 3% (so about £2) so you'll probably save about £6

edit - was looking at the wrong listing, prices updated

I haven't yet picked up the Blu-ray set of Durarara!!! due to the technical issues with the product. With the replacement discs due out in the coming months I was
wondering if this was going to be a relaunch at retail of the product or whether the intention was only to replace the discs on copies already purchased?

Had a look around but couldn't really find a conclusive answer and this is a set I really want to have! :D

Arutha said:
I haven't yet picked up the Blu-ray set of Durarara!!! due to the technical issues with the product. With the replacement discs due out in the coming months I was
wondering if this was going to be a relaunch at retail of the product or whether the intention was only to replace the discs on copies already purchased?

Had a look around but couldn't really find a conclusive answer and this is a set I really want to have! :D

The idea that Anime Limited have planned is that they are going to replace the discs only for those who bought the Collector's Edition set.

When the re-release (aka Standard Edition) and DVD Complete set gets around they will have all of the issues fixed from the replacement discs. This is similar to how Cowboy Bebop is being treated.

NormanicGrav said:
Arutha said:

The idea that Anime Limited have planned is that they are going to replace the discs only for those who bought the Collector's Edition set.

When the re-release (aka Standard Edition) and DVD Complete set gets around they will have all of the issues fixed from the replacement discs. This is similar to how Cowboy Bebop is being treated.

Much Obliged.

Think I may be more inclined then to pick up the Collector's set while it is still available.

britguy said:
You'll likely save about £6, looking at it atm it's gnna be about £61 vs £53 (item and shipping) from UP1 vs UP1USA

Then you have to factor in any foreign currency fee your card might charge as UP1USA charge in US Dollars. Visa debit usually is £1, Visa Credit will usually be about 3% (so about £2) so you'll probably save about £6

edit - was looking at the wrong listing, prices updated

Cheers for the info mate haven't ordered from the USA site before so thought i'd see if was worth it. Gone ahead and ordered the set from UP1USA :D

King Jimmeh said:
I think in the UK, Manga led the charge to half season box sets when they started releasing Naruto Unleashed, Bleach and Death Note and they were the last HUGE Shonen Jump shows (outside of Yu-Gi-Oh!). With those franchises leading the charge, ADV dying, and more fans getting frustrated at series not seeing full single releases before going to Boxsets (i.e. Noein), the half season/full season sets became more popular.
Death Note was released as singles (or rather two disc sets, like they originally planned to do for Hellsing Ultimate) - I still only have the first three volumes as I was collecting it with the Virgin/Zavvi exclusive figures.
Likewise, I collected the singles for the first season of Bleach; I remember this specifically as they were closely followed by a collection in a steel case which really annoyed me (I bought the case and gave my singles away). Thereafter I waited for the steel case to come out before buying (which is, again, why I still only have the first seasons...). It was only later they switched to doing half season sets.

britguy said:
Yes and one of the reasons for bandai pulling out was because of the ridiculous losses some of the arms are making. I've heard half a million euros touted for losses by beez fr
First I ever heard about this. Source?

The Beez/Bandai thing annoys me because it means Gundam is pretty much stuck in limbo - with all that remains of it in the UK is a flood of overpriced second hand volumes being the only way to watch the show. It deserves better.

Back