The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

What are people's thoughts about stuff going out of print, and how that factors into your decision to buy a title?

Will you ever buy a release, just to add it to your backlog to be sure you've at least got a copy, even if you don't watch it straight away. I have to admit, some times I've felt compelled to purchase something earlier than I normally would have as I've been worried it will go out of print and then become harder to find/more expensive.

I usually preorder so it doesn't tend to come up these days, but if I hear something is going out of print (a good recent example is the Love Live set from NISA) I might bump it way higher up my list than it should be to make sure I don't miss out. Since I buy a lot of products from Japan I'm used to the emotional scars of missing out on a great preorder so I try to keep ahead, even though it means I end up with a backlog. This sometimes means I'm watching the first editions well after the series has become available as a cheap S.A.V.E. collection (d'oh).

I used to buy stuff I didn't really want at all just out of paranoia, but I've become better at telling myself to be certain it's a title I want before falling into the trap of a rare special edition. Most of the time.

Are there any rares which people here especially regret not picking up at the time? I'm always annoyed when I look at my Galaxy Angel DVD collection and see Rune volume 4 is missing, and I've never seen a copy in the wild I can buy. To make it worse I didn't particularly like Galaxy Angel Rune anyway. Still, not having that one volume really bugs me.

R

If I don't like something I sell the other parts rather have the irritation of incompleteness...

What is the difference between 1080i and 1080p? does 1080i mean that it has been upscaled from 720p or something?

Edit-
Does anyone know what websites I can import Aus Blu's without getting hit by customs, thanks.

st_owly said:
1080i is indeed an upscale. 1080p is true HD.
By that logic everything released on BD by the BBC is an upscale. 1080i does not mean the content is upscaled, it is merely one way of presenting the content.

The "i" means interlaced. When watching something that is interlaced (DVD/1080i content) only every other line of the picture is on screen at any given moment, compared to "1080p" (progressive) where the whole image is on the screen at once. I know I've given a very vague explanation but I'm terrible when it comes to explaining things.
To my knowledge, when it comes to BD, only if something is mastered in 1920x1080 @ 24fps then it can be progressive. If it's done at 25fps (PAL) or 29.97fps (NTSC) then the content is presented in 1080i.
There's also cases where content is presented at 1080i because the source has a mix of framerates. Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for example, are 1080i because the CG was done at 29.97fps, and converting that to 24fps would result in the CG looking choppy.

black1blade said:
The bbc uses 1080i because it's less data to transmit.
For most HDTV airings this is true, but not for home video. My understanding is that most BBC shows released on home video are 1080i because they were shot at 25fps.
There was an instance where one of the Doctor Who specials was released as 1080p24, but it had actually been slowed down by ~6%.

Does anyone know if the Ghost in the Shell DVD Complete Collections come in Artboxes? I've been trying to find pictures online, but I can't for the life of me fine any.

Thanks in advance.

The first press came in artboxes, but the later releases come in plastic cases similar to Trigun.

GolGotha said:
The first press came in artboxes, but the later releases come in plastic cases similar to Trigun.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what the Trigun packaging was like. Do you mean that it has separate DVD cases in one art box or just one plastic case with all the discs? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Jatz said:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what the Trigun packaging was like. Do you mean that it has separate DVD cases in one art box or just one plastic case with all the discs? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
It's just a big plastic case with all the discs inside. If you go on ebay you will find pictures of it on there (I would link but not sure if against rules or something), I got the big plastic cases ones from Amazon but bought the artbox versions off ebay for about £15 each a few months later.

Buzzkillington said:
Jatz said:
Thanks for the reply.

It's just a big plastic case with all the discs inside. If you go on ebay you will find pictures of it on there (I would link but not sure if against rules or something), I got the big plastic cases ones from Amazon but bought the artbox versions off ebay for about £15 each a few months later.

I only really want the thinpack in the artbox. So should I not got for the Amazon ones, if that's the case?

Jatz said:
Buzzkillington said:
Jatz said:
Thanks for the reply.

I only really want the thinpack in the artbox. So should I not got for the Amazon ones, if that's the case?
Yeah Amazon will only have the big plastic case version left as the thin cases inside the artbox where limited to the first print run, if you want them you will have to buy second hand.

Buzzkillington said:
Yeah Amazon will only have the big plastic case version left as the thin cases inside the artbox where limited to the first print run, if you want them you will have to buy second hand.

Ah. Thanks. I'll go with second hand, then.

Apologies, I should of said 'plastic 8 disc amaray dvd casing' instead. Or something.

Lutga said:
What are people's thoughts about stuff going out of print, and how that factors into your decision to buy a title?

Will you ever buy a release, just to add it to your backlog to be sure you've at least got a copy, even if you don't watch it straight away. I have to admit, some times I've felt compelled to purchase something earlier than I normally would have as I've been worried it will go out of print and then become harder to find/more expensive.

This has been something of an issue for me with mercifully few titles, though it has happened. I got lucky and grabbed the re-release of Anime Legends "Cowboy Bebop" when that came out a while ago, after missing out on the boxset first time around. Others I have missed out on though which I recall promising myself at the time have been titles such as "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi", "Planetes" and a disgustingly cheap steelbook edition of GITS: Stand Alone Complex" which I since wish I'd bought. It has inspired me to do as you suggest and grab DVD's as I've encountered them though - a stand out success for me with this was the boxset of "Azumanga Daioh" which was hideously expensive last time I looked, as opposed to the £14.99 or so when I got it.

I will buy things I think or know are going to go OOP then leave them for ages before finally watching them. Most of my physical anime collection has not been watched. I have 2 separate lists; one of things I've not seen at all, and one I've seen by other means (fansubs, borrowed off friends, at the cinema etc) I snagged Haruhi series 1, House of 5 Leaves and Durarara when I found out Beez were going under. Still not watched any of em, although I watched Haruhi via fansubs years ago. OOP manga hunting is a fun game as well.

If I know a title is going OOP & I've had my eye on it for a while, I'll get it asap, even if it's just added to my ever increasing backlog. I've missed out on shows before by them going OOP when I was far less knowledgeable about the Anime Industry.

I recall missing out on the the Azumanga Daioh Box, Fruits Baskets box, Excel Saga Complete & that big Wolf's Rain set, I contemplated buying all four for a few months into my anime buying but I thought "Eh, they can wait" ..next thing I knew, gone! So I'd rather not take the risk nowadays.

Back