The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The BFI's UK-wide blockbuster for 2020 has been announced

JAPAN – May/June/July/August/September 2020
From May – September 2020, the BFI will present a major nationwide season celebrating Japanese film, featuring the great classics of Ozu, Mizoguchi and Naruse, the samurai swordsmen of Kurosawa and the creative dissidents of the New Wave. Vivid visions of anime masters and the netherworlds of J-Horror will be back on the big screen and we’ll also celebrate contemporary visionaries such as Takeshi Miike, Takeshi Kitano and Naomi Kawase. As the world’s attention is on Tokyo for the Olympics over the summer, the season will include spectacular live events, special guest appearances, talks, workshops and fun for families, and the BFI will work in close collaboration with partners to present events and screenings across the UK.

The season will include BFI re-releases, a major season at BFI Southbank and new collections of film on BFI Player, DVD & Blu-ray and in Mediatheques. The season will also draw on the BFI National Archive’s significant collection of early films of Japan dating back to 1897, including travelogues, home movies and newsreels, offering audiences a rare chance to see show how European and Japanese filmmakers captured life in Japan in the late 19th and early 20th century.

MAL offering Free Manga (samples)! Seems similar to the Manga PLUS app with a few chapters available now and new ones added each week, (EDIT after actually checking it!) but scroll down and there's a cut off where you have to buy the rest!
There's only 5 at the moment, but it does include Somali and the Forest Spirit whose anime adaptation is starting in Winter 2020.

Sounded great until the needing to buy volumes. Of all the digital platforms you could use I can’t say MAL is one I want to give money to...

Sounded great until the needing to buy volumes. Of all the digital platforms you could use I can’t say MAL is one I want to give money to...
All part of the Media Do buy out which does similar stuff in Asia. Meanwhile the actual site has gone down hill a bit with loads of database additions by members not approved yet (including one I did months ago now!) and stuff like the Bot down voting of Chihayafuru s3 not being fixed.

What difference would it be in people visiting the site as a memorial as opposed to people coming and going from work when the company was there? I would think a memorial would be much less disruptive to the neighborhood than the actual business was, especially considering the previous traffic and parking for 70 employees and business visitors all day long. And whether or not they put a memorial there, the site is still going to be visited by a lot of people, so they may as well make proper accommodations for them.

Back