The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Professor Irony

Cursed Image
I’ve got time for Ilya, generally (he did a nice bit of GitS fanart based on the original movie designs a few years back), but his work has tended towards that softer, rounder look lately, and I don’t think it’s a great fit for GitS. I’ll still watch the show anyway; it’d take a lot to make me not want to watch more GitS.

blinx01

Dandy Guy, in Space
Why do Netflix go down this 3D route? Is it cheaper or do they think it appeals to western audiences or something?
Hard pass for me.
If they want to do 3D elements then they should look at what Studio WIT is doing with Vinland Saga. Blending in these elements with traditional animation to great end result.

ayase

State Alchemist
Why do Netflix go down this 3D route? Is it cheaper or do they think it appeals to western audiences or something?
I’m not so sure people should be so quick to pin the use of 3D animation on Netflix - They’ve been willing to fund plenty of 2D anime, and I.G has been using 3D elements in GitS:SAC from the beginning (remember 1st GIG’s intro?) so it may be that they felt it was a logical next step.

Ian Wolf

Shinigami
AUKN Staff

ActionFaust

Stand User
Great to see the staff returning and not having the constraints of the TV series. I just hope they don't base the sequel on the mobile game and actually stick with what made the series so good.

Ian Wolf

Shinigami
AUKN Staff
An anime-related fact appeared in the QI-related podcast No Such Thing as a Fish yesterday. The fact was that over 80% of Japanese temples suffer from raccoon damage. This was because in 1977 the anime Rascal the Raccoon popularised the animals which are not native to Japan, so people imported them from America to keep as pets. However, raccoons are bad animals to keep as pets, as is revealed in the original book the anime was based on, so people released their raccoons into the wild. These raccoons are now a major pest and imports of raccoons are now banned. (Fact begins 29:42 in)