The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Also kinda surprised OPM didn't do a little better than 6k on BD first week, but it's still obviously a good number.

Joshawott said:
How come the Japanese like Charlotte so much anyway, considering it was a gigantic train-wreck from about the half-way mark? (Also, no Shirobako?).
Shirobako is a 2014 vintage. I don't know if start date was an absolute cut-off point in that survey, but it would be for me.

thedoctor2016 said:
6000 is a mildy succesful show i would have guessed it would sell higher

Well..gonna be that person now but with DVD's OPM hits over 8k, almost 9k. IBO only sold less than 300 copies more if my maths correct.
OPM has had a manga boost (it's always sold extremely well though) & I imagine merchandise is going through the roof. It's doing very well for itself.

Total's thus far.

Owarimonogatari 23,418
Gochiusa 12,510
Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 9,254
One Punch Man 8,887
Starmyu 8,207
Fafner EXODUS 5,891
YuruYuri 4,177
K RETURN OF KINGS 3,831
VALKYRIE DRIVE -MERMAID- 2,914
Owari no Seraph 1,043 (minus BD which means it will be higher)
Dance with Devils 937 (Again minus BD)
Kagewani -KAGEWANI- 933

Released but no sales data yet (sold less than 3,941 BD and 851 DvD)

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Heavy Object
Lupin Sansei Part IV
Young Black Jack
Hackadoll The Animation
Hidan no Aria AA
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru
Shinmai Maou no Testament BURST
Tai-Madou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai
Fushigi na Somera-chan

I'm impressed by Gochiusa's sales, Japan sure love their cute girls sipping tea.

May as well start this one up again!

Conversations which lead to longer discussions might be split out into their own separate threads at the discretion of the moderators.

First up, to celebrate the UK cinema release of When Marnie Was There, StudioCanal and their partners are offering UK fans a chance to win a holiday in Japan: http://www.seejapan.co.uk/jnto_consumer ... p-to-tokyo

R

I hope some screenings for Leeds pop up for When Marnie Was There. Health-wise I'm not in the best position for Manchester or York (plus it'd be pretty expensive going into the summer when I have other expenses...).

Bit of a shame considering the last two ghibli movies were shown here from the off as well. :(

The JoJo twitter account has confirmed that Diamond is Unbreakable is going to be 39 episodes long, 9 episodes shorter than Part 3, and will all air at once, not being split into two cours like Stardust Crusaders.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/741137850956144640[/tweet]

That's awesome news.

Edit: Woah, Tweets embed themselves on this forum? Now there's a feature I would have liked on the old AUKN!

I vaguely remember someone asking about this on the previous forum, but I got my Gundam The Origin III CE shipping notification from AL today.

R

IncendiaryLemon said:
The JoJo twitter account has confirmed that Diamond is Unbreakable is going to be 39 episodes long, 9 episodes shorter than Part 3, and will all air at once, not being split into two cours like Stardust Crusaders.

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/7 ... 0956144640

That's awesome news.

Edit: Woah, Tweets embed themselves on this forum? Now there's a feature I would have liked on the old AUKN!

So it is confirmed now? Ok. I was expecting more episodes because Part 4 is longer i hear, but some are saying with the way the pacing is, it makes sense. Will see how it plays out as we go. Still so good though! They do such an amazing job with Jojo at David Pro

I'm surprised Kiss Him Not Me is fall, I was thinking it would hit in the summer originally. I'm looking forward to it though :)

Some more casting annoucements related to that US live-action Death Note have occurred, but I found them less interesting that the fact that the project has changed hands and is now being bankrolled by Netflix.

To be honest, it never ceases to amaze me that anyone even still cares about Death Note at this stage, but I'd be curious to see how a Netflix-produced anime adaptation would go down, as it strikes me that a successful venture from one of the streaming giants might finally open the floodgates for more like it.

Professor Irony said:
Some more casting annoucements related to that US live-action Death Note have occurred, but I found them less interesting that the fact that the project has changed hands and is now being bankrolled by Netflix.

To be honest, it never ceases to amaze me that anyone even still cares about Death Note at this stage, but I'd be curious to see how a Netflix-produced anime adaptation would go down, as it strikes me that a successful venture from one of the streaming giants might finally open the floodgates for more like it.

I have to wonder how Netflix can keep bankrolling these $40-50m films. If I've done my maths rights (and I almost certainly haven't), they apparently have 75m subscribers, at $40m that's 54 cents per subscriber. That seems like a lot of money for a remake of probably limited appeal, and it's not like Death Note is a big name franchise in the grand scheme of things, and they have a good cast but not really a $40m cast. Not to mention it's only probably 2-2.5 hours of content, Breaking Bad had a reported budget of $3m per episode, wouldn't you rather have the 13-episode TV show than the 2.5 hour film? I can't see how this makes any financial sense to Netflix, unless they plan to use it for an aggressive play in the Asian markets, and that's before you take into account the insane amounts of debts the business has (Unaudited liabilities of $8,945,041,000 as of 31/03/16).

Back