The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Limited to 2000 units. The previous Ghibli steelbooks took a while to sell out so that's a wise decision. Ghibli films are the best selling anime BD's/DVD's with some topping out at 40k a year in the UK but I'm not sure if these will sell out so quickly. I'm any case I put an order in of course!

A bunch of Japanese fans chose their most "magnificent" anime of the year. Their number one is truly baffling...

10) Prison School
09) Gintama
08) Is the Order a Rabbit?
07) Haikyu!! Second Season
06) Blood Blockade Battlefront
05) One-Punch Man
04) Mr. Osamatsu
03) Sound! Euphonium
02) Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
01) Charlotte

I can only assume the last three episodes of Charlotte were not released in Japan, I remain insulted by how badly that show tanked itself in those episodes. 72 minutes of pure torture.

I liked the first half of Charlotte and the concept* for the final episode but the rest was just... the exact same problems as Angel Beats.

*By concept I mean the idea of going around the world and getting people's powers. That would've worked much better as either a full cour season or even an entire show in itself (basically X-Men: Solo Edition).

No love for JoJo I see, maybe it was probably in the #11-15 as it's still popular enough to warrant an adaptation of Part 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Charlotte but it definitely shouldn't have been that high. No Gakkou Gurashi is sad, I still really hope we get a second season. Wish OPM was higher. No Kinmoza should be punishable by death.

I don't know anyone who said it was bad, but I know plenty who thought it was average and quite a few who have yet to finish it as they found the second half pretty meh. Certainly worth watching, but no where near a 10 for me.

Anyway, glad to see Blood Blockade Battlefront on there, and I REALLY need to make time to watch One Punch Man soon.

How come the Japanese like Charlotte so much anyway, considering it was a gigantic train-wreck from about the half-way mark? (Also, no Shirobako?).

In regards to Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, I have next to no knowledge about the original visual novel but didn't really find myself feeling lost on any step of the way; in fact, despite its source material's status as a supplementary prequel, I imagine not having seen Fate/Zero would have been more confusing (such as why Gilgamesh was such a big deal).

Considering the recent successes of Danganronpa and Steins;Gate, I'm actually surprised that no one has tried to officially localise even the Réalta Nua version of the visual novel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back