The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I can already feel my facial muscles trying to fold into a cringe just from reading the announcement. Considering that it was already broadcast in some areas despite only being announced 12-hours ago, I wonder how terribly those earlier airings did rating-wise? I could understand producing a low-budget affair to be streamed exclusively on Crunchyroll, but forking out for a series of graveyard slots on national television is pretty much the definition of wasting money.

I don't understand. Do the people getting mad at this get angry that when they buy a bottle of Coca-Cola because some of that money goes into producing Sprite? Do you get mad that Netflix or the BBC produce shows you don't watch with your subscription money? Since when do customers get to choose how the money they pay to a private company gets spent? Personally I couldn't care less if a company I buy anime from spends all their year-end profits on a massive crate of booze. I gave them money and I got what I wanted for it. That's where my interest in the business ends.

ayase said:
I don't understand. Do the people getting mad at this get angry that when they buy a bottle of Coca-Cola because some of that money goes into producing Sprite? Do you get mad that Netflix or the BBC produce shows you don't watch with your subscription money? Since when do customers get to choose how the money they pay to a private company gets spent? Personally I couldn't care less if a company I buy anime from spends all their year-end profits on a massive crate of booze. I gave them money and I got what I wanted for it. That's where my interest in the business ends.

No, I'm not upset that Crunchyroll are advertising. I was perfectly fine with them advertising on the How Did This Get Made podcast and other webshows, I'm upset that they're spending money on infommercials. At least do advertising that's likely to reach anime fans. As I joked before, the Comedy Central slot was a waste of money, because the crossover between Gabriel Iglesias and anime is quite slim, and even if there was a huge crossover I doubt anybody is subscribing to Crunchyroll because they saw the staff members acting like asshats on cable at 4am...

When accompanied with Crunchyroll's previous behaviour it gives off the distinct impression that we international customers are subsidising their American endeavours and the company simply does not value our custom. That's what pisses me off, the fact they aren't even pretending to give a **** about us anymore...

As much as I like the idea of Mike Toole on TV, I'd much rather it be him talking about anime ephemera (as is the case with his Dubs that Time Forgot, alot of which are British btb) and less on doing a half coked [adult swim] "informational" (Too Many Cooks, Unedited Footage of a Bear, etc).

That or waxing lyrical about Odin.

And, yes, down with the regions, Rah Rah, so on so forth.

ayase said:
I don't understand. Do the people getting mad at this get angry that when they buy a bottle of Coca-Cola because some of that money goes into producing Sprite?
You should have seen my reaction when they started selling bottles of Coke with other people's names on them.

The thing that confuses me most about the CR infommercial thing is that they already have what seems to be a successful ad campaign out there. I'm increasingly seeing Youtubers I frequent advertise for CR - people that get hundreds of thousands to over a million views per video. Even one of the latest Jontron videos which has been viewed over 2m times has a CR ad. They're advertising in the right places, so why go a completely different seemingly nonsensical route now?

Mangaranga said:
The thing that confuses me most about the CR infommercial thing is that they already have what seems to be a successful ad campaign out there. I'm increasingly seeing Youtubers I frequent advertise for CR - people that get hundreds of thousands to over a million views per video. Even one of the latest Jontron videos which has been viewed over 2m times has a CR ad. They're advertising in the right places, so why go a completely different seemingly nonsensical route now?

I get the feeling that there's a lot of internal jokes at the Crunchyroll office that leak into the public sphere and never quite get explained (like their recent "Library Expansion Project". which was apparently an internal joke to see how pretentious and silly they could make the announcement). I would not be surprised to discover this was another case of that happening.

00-top.jpg

Japanese site Gigazine have provided tons of photos from the Madogatari exhibition.

Madogatari celebrates 40 years of studio Shaft's efforts highlighting their anime works including Hidamari Sketch, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Monogatari, Nisekoi and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Madogatari combines the words of Madoka and Monogatari, Shaft's two most popular anime works.

Examples of the photos:
[spoilerbutton]
GGZ_9351.jpg

GGZ_9353.jpg

GGZ_9359.jpg

GGZ_9363.jpg

GGZ_9368.jpg

GGZ_9370.jpg

GGZ_9376.jpg

GGZ_9372.jpg

GGZ_9392.jpg

GGZ_9488.jpg

GGZ_9500.jpg

GGZ_9549.jpg

GGZ_9522.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]
You can check out more photos on their website.

Other anime titles that Shaft have worked on:
Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger (TV, April 1995)
Dotto Koni-chan (TV, November 2000)
Mahoromatic series (joint production with Gainax)
■ Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden (TV, September 2001)
■ Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful (TV, September 2002)
■ Mahoromatic: Summer Special (OVA, August 2003)
G-On Riders (TV, July 2002, joint production with TNK)
Popotan (TV, July 2003)
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (TV, April 2004, joint production with Gainax)
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase (TV, October 2004)
He is My Master (TV, April 2005, joint production with Gainax)
Pani Poni Dash! (TV, July 2005)
Rec (TV, February 2006)
Negima! Magister Negi Magi series
■ Negima!? (TV, October 2006)
■ Mahō Sensei Negima! Haru (OVA, October 2006)
■ Mahō Sensei Negima! Natsu (OVA, November 2006)
■ Mahō Sensei Negima!: Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba (OVA, August 2008)
■ Mahō Sensei Negima!: Mou Hitotsu No Sekai (OVA, September 2009)
■ Mahō Sensei Negima! Anime Final (Movie, August 2011)
Hidamari Sketch series
■ Hidamari Sketch (TV, January 2007)
■ Hidamari Sketch Special (TV, October 2007)
■ Hidamari Sketch × 365 (TV, July 2008)
■ Hidamari Sketch × 365 Special (TV, October 2009)
■ Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu (TV, January 2010)
■ Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu Special (TV, October 2010)
■ Hidamari Sketch x SP (TV, October 2011)
■ Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb (TV, October 2012)
■ Hidamari Sketch: Sae & Hiro's Graduation Arc (OVA, November 2013)
Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei series
■ Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei (TV, July 2007)
■ Zoku Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei (TV, January 2008)
■ Goku Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei (OVA, October 2008)
■ Zan Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei (TV, July 2009)
■ Zan Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei Bangaichi (OVA, November 2009)
Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two. series
■ Ef: A Tale of Memories. (TV, October 2007)
■ Ef: A Tale of Melodies. (TV, October 2008)
Maria Holic series
■ Maria Holic (TV, January 2009)
■ Maria Holic: Alive (TV, April 2011)
Natsu no Arashi! series
■ Natsu no Arashi! (TV, April 2009)
■ Natsu no Arashi! Akinai chū (TV, October 2009)
Monogatari series
■ Bakemonogatari (TV, July 2009)
■ Nisemonogatari (TV, January 2012)
■ Nekomonogatari (Black) (TV, December 2012)
■ Monogatari Series Second Season (TV, July 2013)
■ Hanamonogatari (TV, August 2014)
■ Tsukimonogatari (TV, December 2014)
■ Owarimonogatari (TV, October 2015)
■ Kizumonogatari (Movie, January 2016)
■ Koyomimonogatari (TV, January 2016)
Dance in the Vampire Bund (TV, January 2010)
Arakawa Under the Bridge series
■ Arakawa Under the Bridge (TV, April 2010)
■ Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge (TV, October 2010)
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (TV, October 2010)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica series
■ Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV, January 2011)
■ Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part I: The Beginning Story (Movie, October 2012)
■ Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part II: The Eternal Story (Movie, October 2012)
■ Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: The Rebellion Story (Movie, October 2013)
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (TV, April 2011)
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai (TV, January 2013)
Nisekoi series
■ Nisekoi (TV, January 2014)
■ Nisekoi Season 2 (TV, April 2015)
Mekakucity Actors (TV, April 2014)
Gourmet Girl Graffiti (TV, January 2015)

Also involved with
Yume kara, Samenai (OVA, 1987)
Arcade Gamer Fubuki (OVA, 2002)
Kino no Tabi: Byouki no Kuni -For You- (Movie, 2007)
Shina Dark (Music Clip DVD, 2008)
Katte ni Kaizō (OVA, May 2011 - October 2011)
Kid Icarus: Uprising -Palutena's Revolting Dinner- (ONA, March 2012)
Magical Suite Prism Nana (2012-2013)
Fate/Extra CCC (Animation Opening Movie, January 2013)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U (Palutena Character Trailer, June 2014)

Last edited by a moderator:
Such photos. Such wonderful photos.

Mangaranga said:
Same is true for some big podcasts that run ads for CR. I do wonder if this other... thing is really costing them much, or if it's something that is just convenient to do anyway so "why not".

Palutena's Revolting Dinner was easily the best of the Kid Icarus shorts; I'd definitely love SHAFT to produce a full-length Kid Icarus anime.

Back