The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

At the end of the day, their focus is on making money.

WSJ is insanely cheap - probably one of the biggest bargains ever in terms of what you get for your sub fee. Viz will make their money on the individual volumes, and as much as it's tempting to say they should run earlier chapters to tempt people to stick with series, if they know a certain portion is going to go out and buy all the digital volumes of Nisekoi, they're quids in.

I'm not sure how they could offer more than what they already do as free sample issues/discounted volumes and still make money?

Joshawott said:
Ath said:
So when filling out the Jump Next survey for Shonen Jump yesterday, I did two things:

1) Voted for Hi-Fi Cluster
2) Asked if Shokugeki no Soma would ever get added to the Shonen Jump lineup.

Lo and behold:

1) Hi-Fi Cluster has won the vote.
2) Shokugeki no Soma has been added to the Shonen Jump lineup.

:lol:
What lottery numbers would you recommend?
Also, shame I forgot to read WSJ over the last couple of weeks, although none of the JUMP Start series' really grabbed my attention

I really wish that Weekly Shonen jump would serialise titles like Food Wars from the beginning. Sure, include the newest chapters to combat scanlations, but why not also have the earlier chapters to bring in new readers?

Would love to support WSJ myself but Viz's baffling decisions of not allowing international customers to use the PC reader and their lack of support for 10 inch Android tablets means that I can only view the chapters with my phone which is horrible.

Hmm, I disagree, Joshawott. The point of these digital serialisations isn't to promote the sales of volumes, it's to give legal readers the chance to keep up with their favourite series without a massive time lag from Japan, enabling them to live spoiler-free and buy the latest merchandise.

The types of manga which run in serialisation are designed to accommodate new readers constantly stumbling upon them (hence the occasional mini-recaps and bouts of exposition) and starting a serialisation from the beginning again doesn't accomplish anything. You're still going to end up with a bunch of readers who start at the wrong time and end up lost, it's just they'll be lost at an earlier point in the story while all of the most hardcore readers are angry they are two years behind Japan and can't join in with the hype for some new anime adaptation.

There's an argument for publishers to do more sampler-style magazines which collect up interesting first chapters, but I think the day-and-date serials should stay as they are. There's no point at all in subscribing to a magazine which serialises old manga when it's so readily available elsewhere (though I know they do it occasionally to promote a new print edition etc).

There are also some series which look absolutely terrible at the beginning (*cough* Oh My Goddess! *cough*) and giving people who, say, buy WSJ to read One Piece a glimpse of what they can expect from later chapters might get them more interested in new series than the author's scratchy early efforts.

I never read scanlations, but I read the random chapters of manga included in monthly Japanese magazines and back in the day I picked up volumes of Mixxzine, Smile, Tokyopop etc. and tried my hardest to give each title a fair read, even if it meant missing some chapters here and there. To be honest, the series which are actually good are still good even if you come in halfway through the story, and it takes literally seconds to go to the Kindle store or another legit site and buy the rest nowadays (a number of WSJ titles were completely free on the Kindle store the other day!). However, publishers do need to tighten up on the situation where the newest chapters are available in a simulpub and the old ones are in print with a gap in the middle. That's just silly.

Perhaps this is my age speaking, but as a kid most of the television shows I got into were titles I didn't know were going to be good from the start. I generally started watching new series from some episode in the middle based on hype and the randomness of my daily schedule, then if I liked the show it became really exciting when they reran the early episodes and I could finally see what happened at the start. Shounen Jump titles - much like Saturday morning cartoons - aren't exactly finely crafted works of art which are completely ruined by enjoying them out of order.

R

MVM have started putting their announcements up, so far:

Battle Girls: Time Paradox DVD - January 26, 2015
Michiko & Hatchin Part 1 DVD - January 05, 2015
Otorimonogatari Blu-Ray & DVD - January 19, 2015
Michiko & Hatchin Part 2 DVD - February 23rd 2015

They also have:
Arakawa Series 1 & 2 Collection (DVD) - January 12, 2015

- http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home ... n=0&page=1

Edit: More going up, will update as I see:

Kamisama Dolls DVD - February 2nd 2015
Shangri-La Collection DVD - February 9th 2015
Chrome Shelled Regios Collection DVD - February 9th 2015
Onimonogatari Blu Ray & DVD - February 16th 2015
Koimonogatari Blu Ray & DVD - March 2nd 2015
Infinite Stratos Series 2 DVD - March 16th 2015
Tsuritama DVD - March 23rd 2015

Dannielle said:
MVM have started putting their announcements up, so far:

Battle Girls: Time Paradox Complete Collection DVD - January 26, 2015

They also have:

- http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home ... n=0&page=1

I'm surprised about Arakawa - as far as I know the individual volumes absolutely bombed, so surely any appetite for it has already been satisfied...

Dannielle said:

I only have Series 1 and Series 2 is fairly expensive. Unless Series 2 springs up on DOTW, I may well just sell Series 1 and ask for the collection for my birthday.

I've noticed that if Viz Media can get a series to premiere in Shonen Jump at the same time as Japan, they tend to start with issue 1 (like All You Need is Kill and Jaco The Galactic Patrolman) or if it's only slightly behind, they publish with an accelerated schedule until they catch up (like Seraph of the End and Hi-Fi Cluster). Obviously, with longer series' like Food Wars (which currently has over 90 chapters), is that catching up any time soon would be near impossible, unless they practically published a volume per issue.

I think a fair compromise would be for Viz Media to do what they did with My Love Story this year. They published the Nisekoi crossover chapters, but also accompanied them with the first chapter of My Love Story, just before the print volume was due out. Even if Viz Media don't fully serialise Food Wars from the beginning, I'd at least like to see them publish the first 2-3 chapters in the magazine, which can be followed by a link to purchase the digital volumes of the series (as like Nisekoi, Viz have accelerated the digital release).

Absolutely nothing from MVM for me.

Too many shows not on Blu-Ray there. After recommendations, l'll pick up the Funimation Blu-Rays of Michiko and Hatchin.
The only things from Manga that interest me are Harlock, Fairy Tail, and Eva (if it's even out in Feb/March).

Quiet Q1 for me unless Anime Limited grab hold of my wallet!

chrisjmuk said:
real shame about mvm giving up on blu ray for Q1. I'll either import or skip the titles I had my eye on.

Is that actually a policy for the company as a whole though, or just because the titles aren't big enough to justify it in their eyes?

No Game No Life is getting a Blu-Ray, right?

Updated everything in my initial post with all the MVM stuff, or you can look in the schedule thread :)

I expected a Shana 2 & Needless Complete Q1, they've been out longer than the three other shows getting complete sets?

I'll be picking up the Gatari stuff but that's it. Shame but maybe they're being a bit careful with BD releases now as I cannot imagine the likes of Campione! & FOZ (I hope I'm wrong with FOZ, would hate to see the other two licensed seasons as DVD only, only reason I haven't bought the first season is because I'm paranoid over it happening and waiting for confirmation of my paranoia being void) did too great to warrant a "every release has a BD", however much they would like to do so.

Lutga said:
chrisjmuk said:
real shame about mvm giving up on blu ray for Q1. I'll either import or skip the titles I had my eye on.

Is that actually a policy for the company as a whole though, or just because the titles aren't big enough to justify it in their eyes?

I would hope it does, it's a show that deserves to be viewed on Blu Ray and not putting a show that popular out on both formats would be a big mistake.

Lutga said:
chrisjmuk said:

No, but they always disk share rather than author them. They dont seem to have blu rays in oz for a lot of these titles, so no B disk exists.
Michiko & Hatchin is I believe A+B so they could if they really wanted release that on blu.

No game no life better get a blu ray, that was the only announcement of the show that impressed me and is on my wanted list (but at the same time never thought we'd get it so quick)

britguy said:
black1blade said:
Hope that Baccano blu ray is collectors not ultimate ed.
Not me, hoping for a nice fat art/info book hopefully!
To quote from FaceBook:
Anime Limited said:
Simon Rimmer said:
Now when you say Ultimate Edition, do you mean as an exclusive? Because in all honestly I much prefer the collectors editions, like the Bebop & Perfect Blue sets for anything other than large multi-format releases. Gurren Lagann was fine as a one-off, but I don't really want every 13 episode show or movie release to look like that. I neither have the space or money, certainly not for an upscale of a set I already have. Choice is cool & all, but please don't try & turn your releases into one of extremes, where you either buy the expensive bulky set, or a barebones amaray. Personally, the type of hard-card case & digipack sets like Hal are your best work & what I'd personally be wiling to buy 90% of the time.
Based on material I think we'll go towards Collector's not Ultimate as I want to give some variety here :). You're 100% right and we're on the same wavelength :)
So in other words, Baccano will likely be a Durarara-style release. (Yay!) The guy words my concerns right as well. Rigid packaging is what I most of all need (next to the Blu-ray disks themselves).

Dannielle said:
Battle Girls: Time Paradox DVD - January 26, 2015
Kamisama Dolls DVD - February 2nd 2015
Shangri-La Collection DVD - February 9th 2015
Chrome Shelled Regios Collection DVD - February 9th 2015
Onimonogatari Blu Ray & DVD - February 16th 2015
Koimonogatari Blu Ray & DVD - March 2nd 2015
Infinite Stratos Series 2 DVD - March 16th 2015
Tsuritama DVD - March 23rd 2015
Agent-347 said:
I really hope MVM manage to change a few of those Q1 titles to DVD and Blu-ray, as well as adding some Blu-ray upgrades to the schedule. *cough* Needless on Blu-ray, please.
I'm aware there's no Blu-ray in Australia for Kamisama Dolls (yet) and that the Sentai Filmworks Blu-ray was 1080i, but from reviews I hear it's one of the better 1080i Blu-ray releases out there.
I'm also aware there's no Blu-ray in Australia for Needless, although MVM themselves said on multiple occasions "never say never", so I'm keeping my hope up.

But admittedly, Michiko and Hatchin seems from a feasibleness point of view the most likely anime to be upgraded to Blu-ray in the Q1 schedule.
If it gets upgraded to Blu-ray I don't think MVM will manage to have the Blu-ray release on the same day as the DVD release of either part though.

Lutga said:
I'm 99% sure it'll get an UK Blu-ray release. ^_~ [There is no official confirmation though!]

Cel said:
Once you go blu-ray you can't go back :p
I have no problem buying DVDs of 4:3 shows or 16:9 SD shows that have no Blu-ray master. Obviously in that case I prefer NTSC over PAL though.
For stuff that is elsewhere available on Blu-ray or produced in HD you are right, a DVD release doesn't suffice. Even for Shakugan no Shana I don't want the DVDs.

NormanicGrav said:
Funimation have licensed Wanna Be the Strongest in the World [Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!] for home release - 2015 with an English dub.
Also known as Manga Entertainment UK's next bestseller. ;P

Back