The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Plus, as Michiko has been effectively region free since its US release, they probably know that a portion of the market for the bluray may already have picked it up. :( A shame.

Just found another release on Anime-On-Line "ef ~ A Tale of Memories & Melodies Collection" , out March 09 - http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... ctid=25342

NormanicGrav said:
Funimation have licensed Wanna Be the Strongest in the World [Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!] for home release - 2015 with an English dub.

This show is a wrestling ecchi anime and it's also available to watch on Crunchyroll.

Dubbed? Hahahaha, hope MC's VA is prepared to do a whole lotta screaming.

Dannielle said:
Just found another release on Anime-On-Line "ef ~ A Tale of Memories & Melodies Collection" , out March 09 - http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... ctid=25342

NormanicGrav said:
Funimation have licensed Wanna Be the Strongest in the World [Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!] for home release - 2015 with an English dub.

This show is a wrestling ecchi anime and it's also available to watch on Crunchyroll.

Dubbed? Hahahaha, hope MC's VA is prepared to do a whole lotta screaming.

Nice to see Wanna be the Strongedt licensed, I really enjoyed watching it on Crunchyroll earler this year, so I shall be picking it up.

With the complete collection of series' that didn't do so well as half-season sets...isn't that the point of a boxset? To basically shift what remaining discs there are?

Joshawott said:
With the complete collection of series' that didn't do so well as half-season sets...isn't that the point of a boxset? To basically shift what remaining discs there are?

So they strip the discs out of the remaining stock of singles, chuck the cases and put the discs in the new boxes?

I know the discs usually are identical because it means they don't need to apply to the BBFC again, but always assumed it was just a new print run, not actually the same physical discs?

Lutga said:
Joshawott said:

So they strip the discs out of the remaining stock of singles, chuck the cases and put the discs in the new boxes?

I know the discs usually are identical because it means they don't need to apply to the BBFC again, but always assumed it was just a new print run, not actually the same physical discs?
I'm not actually sure, as I don't think anyone has ever commented as such. If they are all new print-runs though, I imagine the aim is still the same though - use the lower price point of the series to increase profit margins (or with some shows, reduce the money lost).

FUNimation have unveiled "FUNimation Broadcast Dubs". Basically, an initiative to get English dubs out faster, which is vaguely similar to what they did with Space Dandy.

Subscribers to FUNimation in America will be able to watch English dubs of certain series' only a few weeks after the episodes have aired in Japan. The first two shows that will be a part of this initiative are Laughing Under The Clouds and Psycho-Pass 2. The former will have its first episode released on 1st November, while the latter's will be released on 8th November, which will be followed by weekly releases.

Due to the time difference, the Broadcast Dubs will use the TV broadcast versions of episodes, but the eventual home video releases will use the Japanese home video materials.

Source.

I'd definitely like more sports anime (and manga) to be released over here. I hate watching sports IRL (they bore me) but I really enjoy sports anime. I wrote a rant about it on Tumblr a while back actually.

I’m the laziest person on the planet and I hate watching, or participating in real life sports (I find most of them boring to watch, and PE lessons at school put me off most team sports for life) I freaking LOVE sports anime. Cross Game is possibly one of my favourite series of all time, and I am British and therefore don’t understand baseball, along with Chihayafuru.

I’m currently watching:
Kuroko no Basket
Prince of Tennis
Ace of Diamond

And have completed:
Free!
Hikaru no Go (Another one of my top rated series)
Yawara (another top rated series for me)
Taisho Baseball Girls

I plan to watch:
Hajime no Ippo
Touch
Haikyuu

I think the reason I like sports anime so much is that it’s very raw, and you can see how passionate the characters are about becoming the best. Most of the time as well, unlike a lot of shonen battle anime, they don’t become ridiculously overpowered to do so. (except for Prince of Tennis…) They just put in a hell of a lot of work and seeing them get closer to becoming the best [whatever] is immensely satisfying to watch.

^ sports are ok but like you I'm not keen on them....but there are some sports anime that makes you want to play them.....like

Baseball...I watched windup and baseball girls and they sort of made me want to play the game.

I like how it's made in to a story.

Well .......baseballs balls origins come from great Britain......yes we made it.......but it had a different name back then...it was called knickerblockers...If I'm reading wiki right.

And I agree with you on that last part........with shonene it's with powers of sorts ........It's kinda like Rocky he gets stronger and and stronger after every fight............maybe rocky is a ......naw never mind.

But yeah it's great seeing then putting there swet and fears in to making them selfs better.

You could get the rocky theme TRYING HARD NOW at any sports anime and it would look ace.

I think the only sports anime that I've ever actually watched is Prince of Tennis. Enjoyed it, but never made it all the way though, aren't there nearly 200 episodes?

It's announced that Harmony will be receiving an anime movie in 2015.

Part of 'Project Itoh', Harmony was written by Satoshi Ito (who sadly passed away in 2009) and is the second novel to be getting this treatment following Genocidal Organ last week. Noitamina will be handling both Genocidal Organ and Harmony anime movies.

Both novels have been translated and released in English by Viz's Haikasoru sci-fi prose label (examples of novels under this label include All You Need Is Kill and Battle Royale).

--------------------

Bandai Namco, ADK and Aniplex have created a joint company called 'Anime Consortium Japan, Inc.' as a brand new streaming service for overseas market. It will commence on November 7 and will officially start in April 2015.
The platform will deliver simulcast new anime titles and older series in various languages. The company will launch on November 7 and expects to be in full operation by April 2015. Daisuki, Inc will merge with Anime Consortium Japan with funding by the Japanese government's Cool Japan initiative. The initiative will invest one billion yen (about US$9.1 million) in the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
NormanicGrav said:
It's announced that Harmony will be receiving an anime movie in 2015.

Part of 'Project Itoh', Harmony was written by Satoshi Ito (who sadly passed away in 2009) and is the second novel to be getting this treatment following Genocidal Organ last week. Noitamina will be handling both Genocidal Organ and Harmony anime movies.

Both novels have been translated and released in English by Viz's Haikasoru sci-fi prose label (examples of novels under this label include All You Need Is Kill and Battle Royale).

--------------------

Bandai Namco, ADK and Aniplex have created a joint company called 'Anime Consortium Japan, Inc.' as a brand new streaming service for overseas market. It will commence on November 7 and will officially start in April 2015.
The platform will deliver simulcast new anime titles and older series in various languages. The company will launch on November 7 and expects to be in full operation by April 2015. Daisuki, Inc will merge with Anime Consortium Japan with funding by the Japanese government's Cool Japan initiative. The initiative will invest one billion yen (about US$9.1 million) in the project.

Hopefully this doesn't mean they'll start holding back titles from Crunchyroll because they want to push them on their own service.

9 Million dollars sounds like a lot of money, but in this industry it's practically pocket change, especially if you're looking to pretty much set up a video streaming service singlehandedly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back