The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

SnowWolf said:
How did Anime Limited get the Blu ray rights when Manga has the DVD? Aren't they a package deal?
Manga only holds the DVD rights - Similar to how Funimation only hold the DVD rights in America. The Bluray was released many years after the initial release, so I reckon it's safe to assume they were sold off separately.

i'm not gonna lie, for the last 'big' con of the year I was kinda expecting Manga to announce something... anything... (Yu Gi Oh! got announced weeks ago) we know they've got 'Good Luck Girl' & 'Ben-To' for 2015 so was kinda expecting them to license a couple of 'easy sells' that no ones picked up yet (to my knowledge). Stuff like Hellsing 9 & 10, High School DxD New, Maken Ki, Date A Live even the bloody Tenchi Blu rays (i know they're Universal/Geneon but I can dream). But no. Nothing. Maybe they've got something really big up their sleeves for 2015 that will make us all love them again! (but its probably just gonna be Dragon Ball Z Blu rays... damn)

I've given up on Haganai, Heaven's Lost Property and A Certain Index/Railgun ever getting UK releases :'(

Jon O Fun said:
i'm not gonna lie, for the last 'big' con of the year I was kinda expecting Manga to announce something... anything... (Yu Gi Oh! got announced weeks ago) we know they've got 'Good Luck Girl' & 'Ben-To' for 2015 so was kinda expecting them to license a couple of 'easy sells' that no ones picked up yet (to my knowledge). Stuff like Hellsing 9 & 10, High School DxD New, Maken Ki or Date A Live. But no. Nothing. Maybe they've got something really big up their sleeves for 2015 that will make us all love them again! (but its probably just gonna be Dragon Ball Z Blu rays... damn)
They announced Hellsing Ultimate a while ago, I think it's due Q1 2015 (Feel free to correct me).

Yukifan said:
Jon O Fun said:
i'm not gonna lie, for the last 'big' con of the year I was kinda expecting Manga to announce something... anything... (Yu Gi Oh! got announced weeks ago) we know they've got 'Good Luck Girl' & 'Ben-To' for 2015 so was kinda expecting them to license a couple of 'easy sells' that no ones picked up yet (to my knowledge). Stuff like Hellsing 9 & 10, High School DxD New, Maken Ki or Date A Live. But no. Nothing. Maybe they've got something really big up their sleeves for 2015 that will make us all love them again! (but its probably just gonna be Dragon Ball Z Blu rays... damn)
They announced Hellsing Ultimate a while ago, I think it's due Q1 2015 (Feel free to correct me).
I must of missed that :p I kinda assumed they would get the rights same as DxD New its just the lack of info or any kind of release date :(

"- Andrew Partridge is hinting that someone has licensed Log Horizon, and possibly Captain Earth, for the UK."

Manga expressed interest in these on facebook a while back, saying they were looking into them so that would lead me to believe they have both, which makes me wonder why they didn't say anything about them, unless the contact ink isn't fully dry yet? or I wonder if they're holding back on announcements to do them during a big podcast at the end of the year or something.

I'm fine with A/L only announcing three titles, they have lots of stuff to do so focusing on the titles that have had delays, like Durarara DVD,, Daikon, Cyborg, Mai Mai, Escaflowne & the Shinkai Films into the new year & beyond sounds ideal.

If Manga have Log Horizon and are reading, I beg of you to not use the same art work the US did, it looks so lame and boring, not the type of cover to ignite sales of that genre of show.

@Dannielle and others wondering: I listened to the UK-Anime Network live podcast yesterday featuring Jeremy Graves, it was stated there is more we don't know yet for the Q1 2015 schedule, but they weren't allowed to announce those titles yet.
Don't be surprised if just like with Yu-Gi-Oh! we see new releases pop up only a few weeks ahead of release or (during) Q1.
Good Luck Girl, Hellsing IX+X, Fairy Tail part 9 and Ben-To haven't been listed yet but should for what I know also be part of the Q1 schedule.

It was yesterday also mentioned Michiko and Hatchin will be DVD only sadly enough. In response it was mentioned by someone else that the US BD is region B compatible.
A DVD-only is not what that series deserves from what I hear, it should have gone to Anime Limited.
I wonder how the public will respond when MVM list Michiko and Hatchin on their webshop later this week, I saw quite a lot of requests for a Blu-ray of that.

Agent-347 said:
@Dannielle and others wondering: I listened to the UK-Anime Network live podcast yesterday featuring Jeremy Graves, it was stated there is more we don't know yet for the Q1 2015 schedule, but they weren't allowed to announce those titles yet.
Don't be surprised if just like with Yu-Gi-Oh! we see new releases pop up only a few weeks ahead of release or (during) Q1.
Good Luck Girl, Hellsing IX+X, Fairy Tail part 9 and Ben-To haven't been listed yet but should for what I know also be part of the Q1 schedule.

It was yesterday also mentioned Michiko and Hatchin will be DVD only sadly enough. In response it was mentioned by someone else that the US BD is region B compatible.
A DVD-only is not what that series deserves from what I hear, it should have gone to Anime Limited.
I wonder how the public will respond when MVM list Michiko and Hatchin on their webshop later this week, I saw quite a lot of requests for a Blu-ray of that.

Oh, thanks for that. Wasn't aware at all. That's good to know :)

Michiko and Hatchin DVD only? awe man. Did MVM say it themselves? I really wanted a BD for it, now here's to hoping Tsuritama get's a BD release ..

Lutga said:
I'll just have to keep on holding out for a UK release of Oreimo which will probably never happen...

same here. im hoping that something will happen when the US gets a more sensibly priced release rather than the import version.
but im not holding my breath.

Agent-347 said:

With regards to Ben-To, Funimation have still not released their version of it yet so I'm not sure if that will be Q1. UP1 lists the Funi version as T.B.A. at the moment and the Fandom Post's forum lists it as a 2015 release but when in 2015 wasn't mentioned (Sankarea was the other show that was delayed around the same time due to issue with the materials that Funimation received). Any delay to Funimation's releases will impact on when they get released over here.

mangaman74 said:
Agent-347 said:

With regards to Ben-To, Funimation have still not released their version of it yet so I'm not sure if that will be Q1. UP1 lists the Funi version as T.B.A. at the moment and the Fandom Post's forum lists it as a 2015 release but when in 2015 wasn't mentioned (Sankarea was the other show that was delayed around the same time due to issue with the materials that Funimation received). Any delay to Funimation's releases will impact on when they get released over here.

It's been confirmed by Funimation that Ben-To* should be out in early 2015 (or Q1 2015) alongside Sankarea**. At the very least February onwards.

*Facebook response not long after September Livestream
**September Livestream

Mangaranga said:
SnowWolf said:
How did Anime Limited get the Blu ray rights when Manga has the DVD? Aren't they a package deal?
Manga only holds the DVD rights - Similar to how Funimation only hold the DVD rights in America. The Bluray was released many years after the initial release, so I reckon it's safe to assume they were sold off separately.
It actually identical to how FUNimation only holds the DVD rights - FUNimation has the UK DVD and digital rights and sub-licensed it to Manga (i.e. I watched it on their YouTube channel and their logo was on the Manga packaging).
Aniplex released the BDs in the US so the BD rights technically weren't sold off at all over there.

So when filling out the Jump Next survey for Shonen Jump yesterday, I did two things:

1) Voted for Hi-Fi Cluster
2) Asked if Shokugeki no Soma would ever get added to the Shonen Jump lineup.

Lo and behold:

1) Hi-Fi Cluster has won the vote.
2) Shokugeki no Soma has been added to the Shonen Jump lineup.

:lol:

Ath said:
So when filling out the Jump Next survey for Shonen Jump yesterday, I did two things:

1) Voted for Hi-Fi Cluster
2) Asked if Shokugeki no Soma would ever get added to the Shonen Jump lineup.

Lo and behold:

1) Hi-Fi Cluster has won the vote.
2) Shokugeki no Soma has been added to the Shonen Jump lineup.

:lol:
What lottery numbers would you recommend?
Also, shame I forgot to read WSJ over the last couple of weeks, although none of the JUMP Start series' really grabbed my attention

I really wish that Weekly Shonen jump would serialise titles like Food Wars from the beginning. Sure, include the newest chapters to combat scanlations, but why not also have the earlier chapters to bring in new readers?

Aren't they meant to put the 'catch up' volumes on their manga service separately and keep WSJ for new chapters? My household has a subscription but I don't read it because they don't include Gintama ;_;

R

Rui said:
Aren't they meant to put the 'catch up' volumes on their manga service separately and keep WSJ for new chapters? My household has a subscription but I don't read it because they don't include Gintama ;_;

R
But surely the point of serialisation of series' in the various weekly/monthly magazines is to promote the volume releases?

Having Googled it, there are currently 91 chapters of published Food Wars chapters. When I see Chapter 92 in WSJ, I'm not going to think "Oh yes, I'll read this and then buy the past 9 volumes to catch up", I'll most likely think what I do with Blue Exorcist and World Trigger: "Too many chapters to catch up on. Not going to bother" and skip the series entirely. The only people who really benefit from serialisation of new series' starting exclusively with the newest chapters are the people who have already been reading scanlations. Sure, Viz Media are most likely doing it to try and reduce the number of people reading scanlations, but is an audience that is already proven to read things illegally if it suits them really a reliable consumer base? Why not have the latest chapters as a back-up, but have the focus on attracting new readers to the series by publishing the earlier chapters?

Back when Weekly Shonen Jump launched in the UK, I read the free sample issue and fell in love with Nisekoi. However, as the serialisation for us started around chapter 80, I had to spend a weekend storming through scanlations until I caught up (before anyone says it, I do buy the volume releases). While Viz Media are still getting my money from my subscription and my volume purchases, it's baffling that I had to use less than legal means to be able to fully enjoy their legal product.

Back