The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

britguy said:
Anime limited announce Baccano with plans for an ultimate edition! Love the show and owned the aniplex LE bluray but sold it so will gladly buy this

http://www.alltheanime.com/baccano-bluray/

Interesting! It's definitely a show in need of the treatment, but also the first of Anime Ltd's titles where I'll be double dipping due to already having the Manga DVDs - so will very interested to see what additional materials they can pull together to make this worth a buy.

I'm pretty sure Baccano was animated in standard definition. It's a another favourite of mine but I own the Aniplex Blu-ray set so Andrew will have to come up with something special to get me to buy his version. The mention of a possible ultimate edition makes me cautiously optimistic that he can pull it off, though...

cyborg 002 said:
I don't know why people like Gankutsuou so much? It must have a fantastic story.
It can't be the animation style can it?
I love Gankutsou for its fantastic story (based on a famous and popular work of literature) AND its striking visual style.

I missed out on the US Blu-Ray of Baccano (too many other shows I was interested in back when it was released) so it's another swing and a massive home run for Anime Limited!

I really don't see Anime Limited licensing a show I'm not interested in.
Shame Lodoss wasn't one of them. :( I know I keep going on, but that is the one single show I really am desperate for a license and Blu-Ray.

I'm also in the club of having the Manga DVDs and so will be waiting to see what kind of improvement/extras will come with the Blu-ray release. It worked with Cowboy Bebop, so it's far from impossible to make me upgrade!

I own the Baccano DVD collection, but I will definitely get the blu-ray set! I love that show! I had already tried to sell the DVDs so I could buy the american blu-rays, but wasn't able, but I will get this release no matter what!

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm pretty sure Baccano was animated in standard definition. It's a another favourite of mine but I own the Aniplex Blu-ray set so Andrew will have to come up with something special to get me to buy his version. The mention of a possible ultimate edition makes me cautiously optimistic that he can pull it off, though...

cyborg 002 said:
I don't know why people like Gankutsuou so much? It must have a fantastic story.
It can't be the animation style can it?
I love Gankutsou for its fantastic story (based on a famous and popular work of literature) AND its striking visual style.

The "striking visial style" is what kept me from it. The weird hair colors, the weird pattern on the clothing.

If I pick it up it will be because of the story.

UKAN's live tweets:
- The panel begins! We're starting with a round-up of MVM Entertainment's licenses.
- Also confirmation of Manga Entertainment's release of Yu-Gi-Oh's English broadcast version on DVD. Season one: November 17th
- Manga Entertainment have also confirmed they will be releasing Samurai Bride on DVD and Blu-ray.
- Andrew Partridge is here to confirm Anime Limited's licenses - Baccano! Blu-Ray, Short Peace and Gankutsuo.
- Anime Limited are talking about Tokyo Ghoul, which they're hoping to release on home video next year depending on when the dub is done.
- Is anyone looking into licensing JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? It's a complicated title to pick up, but "maybe".
- The final volume of Kill la Kill from Anime Limited will include the OVA.
- Is Hunter x Hunter on anyone's radar? The movie didn't do well at all at Scotland Loves Anime, says Andrew Partridge.
- Andrew would like to license more Gundam series on Blu-Ray in the future if possible.
- Andrew Partridge is hinting that someone has licensed Log Horizon, and possibly Captain Earth, for the UK.
- Any chance of old or new Macross in the UK? Rights are still locked up with Harmony Gold, but there is movement to try and get the rights.
- Any chance of Nadia or Ranma 1/2 getting a UK Blu-ray release? Ranma 1/2 is up to Kaze for Europe, but Nadia is very possible.
- Chances of a UK release of Inferno Cop or Little Witch Academia? Inferno Cop is more likely, Anime Limited are looking into it.
- Little Witch Academia is more complicated, as there is no production committee or international rights seller.
- Aniplex USA's pricing model has come up in this Q&A session, under the guise of "What is Aniplex's problem?"...
- Andrew Partridge: Aniplex has to defend its Japanese pricing model, and the US pricing reflects that.
- Aniplex are working hard to put shows on digital platforms, they don't do it to spite customers!
- "Aniplex pricing sucks for customers, but they aren't profiteering from their model".
- No news on any license of the Strike Witches movie at this time.
- No licensing news on Kamigami no Asobi at this time.
- We're now talking about digital rights, and getting anime onto Netflix.
- Anime Limited are talking about Full Metal Panic briefly, it should be out towards the middle of next year.
- An Ultimate Edition of Full Metal Panic is still being looked into by Anime Limited, depending on what assets are available.
- Andrew Partridge is talking about the probable decline of exclusivity for digital anime and importance of getting everything out everywhere.
- Dream licenses? For Andrew P, Baccano was one, and of course Attack on Titan!
- For unlicensed "dream licenses", Andrew Partridge would love Ranma 1/2 or Sailor Moon.
- Jeremy Graves' dream license: The first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
- Andrew Partridge is hinting that we'll see Space Dandy S2 on Netflix by Christmas.
- Are Manga Entertainment considering going down the Netflix route for their shows? It's being explored, but no firm news.
- Will there be a dub for the Persona 3 movies? Andrew Partridge is keen on them but no news of an English dub. That's a question for Aniplex.
- Will there be a UK release of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works TV? No news, it's probably one for MVM Entertainment to consider.
- And that's the end of the panel! No new license announcements aside from what we already knew we're afraid!!

I can only imagine the glorious Attack on Titan Ultimate Edition All the Anime could have gave us. Shame Manga got it and give us that piss poor "collectors edition".

Interesting comments re Macross - I thought it would be a cold day in hell before HG gave up an inch on that battlefront. Cautiously optimistic there.

Also, Nadia? Oh please yes!

kuuderes_shadow said:
I guess my prediction of "one license announcement from Manga that noone really cares about" was pretty much on the money after all.

R.I.P. Manga UK?

It's interesting they seem to have swerved the Netflix question as well as I'm sure that'd be their main priority for this year.

If I'm perfectly honest though, I'm starting to get a little concerned - I'm sure there will be new license announcements coming as we enter the new year, but it really feels like we're on the cusp of a period of change, and Manga's strategy for the year will largely dictate that change.

My main concern is that for the last big event of the year, there wasn't really any big announcements for Q1 2015, which is still pretty empty.

As for Manga UK, they have Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragonball Z, Attack On Titan and now Yu-Gi-Oh! under their belt. Don't try and tell me that their next goal isn't world domination.

Joshawott said:
My main concern is that for the last big event of the year, there wasn't really any big announcements for Q1 2015, which is still pretty empty.

As for Manga UK, they have Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragonball Z, Attack On Titan and now Yu-Gi-Oh! under their belt. Don't try and tell me that their next goal isn't world domination.

Oh, for sure, there's no question those shows will continue to sell well for them, and they're great 'bankers' to rely on year in, year out - but speaking from my own point of view as a fan, it's the stuff above and beyond the breand and butter Shonen titles that gets me excited as a fan - and I'd like to think Manga would still play a part in that.

MVM have certainly upped their game nabbing No Game No Life for next year, so I'd be interested to see what 'big' recent show Manga might have up their sleeve in answer to that, now that AoT is out.

As Jojo's seems a no go for the time being, and an English dub release of SAO II is no doubt a long way off, will be interesting to see what can keep things ticking over in the mean time.

⇉ ANIME LIMITED
Let me start with the most caring and important company on the UK scenery at this point. I hope to see them release their Q1 2015 release schedule soon and get word on what's going on with Blood Lad.
What catches my attention is that all of Anime Limited's licenses beside Nerima Daikon Brothers and Outlaw Star are for Blu-ray (and DVD).
I hope that isn't going to annihilate the chances for certain SD titles to get (re)released in the future since some of my favourite anime don't have Blu-ray masters.
Although I'm aware there're experiments with putting SD anime content on Blu-ray I doubt Anime Ltd would commit to that for series like Moon Phase, Vandread and School Rumble I want them to license. =P
I would also like it if Andrew gave us another "XX anime movies and YY anime series that haven't been announced by us yet are in the process of being licensed"-count like he sporadically did in the past.

→ Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (announcement|FaceBook)
I can't remember ever hearing about this show before, so Andrew made a great acquisition! (not sarcastic, I think this is a great move)
I'm not really convinced about and by the animation, but the premise sounds good so I'm going to probably give it a chance.
Checking the Blu-ray vs DVD comparisons posted by NormanicGrav I find the Blu-ray looks way better just like with Shakugan no Shana. One again I might be the only one thinking that though.
At this point I can't comment yet whether I'd pre-order it, but I'm simply interested. When some release dates get announced I'll be able to give a better answer though.
The anime ended 30 March 2005, so if Andrew can release it 30 March 2015 it'll be released exactly 10 years after the anime ended which would be great timing on that part!
Judging the FaceBook post I checked after writing the above line Andrew might have that idea already.

→ Short Peace (announcement|FaceBook)
This definitely feels like the "lesser of the three" if you compare the three announcements.
I have my doubt I'd pick this up. I watched a livestream on the game and while okay I don't expect to be blown away by the short pieces to justify paying for it.
But like some others have said, Andrew is a master in convincing people to get his releases. *whistles mysteriously*

→ Baccano (Blu-ray) (announcement|FaceBook)
Andrew mentions he thinks nobody expected this, but I actually did expect this one. Now go and get the Blu-ray rights for Clannad, Andrew!
That put aside (seriously, go get the Blu-ray rights for Clannad, Andrew), I should say some more on this announcement.
I'm happy to see this announced for UK Blu-ray, I was tempted to import the US release a few times, but I didn't and am glad I didn't.
I just hope the presumably forthcoming Ultimate Edition isn't going to be overly expensive. I personally think a SRP of £59.99 might be pushing it already though, but we'll see what they come up with.
It seems like a great show with neat animation and plenty of praise for the English dub, which is only a bonus.
This is by far the best announcement of the weekend and a pre-order candidate.

⇉ MVM ENTERTAINMENT
I tried ordering the announcements from most to least interesting here in the MVM section. I tried.

→ No Game No Life
Great announcement. I'll definitely consider getting this, assuming this will be a Blu-ray release.
I have my doubts about their tweet stating this is going to be a Q1 title though. It's not even in Sentai's release schedule of January or February.

→ Michiko and Hatchin
What happened, Andrew? How did you lose this title to MVM?!
Seriously though, if MVM are putting this out on Blu-ray (with artbox perhaps) they'll have already a great start to 2015.
I'm only interested in a complete collection or collector's edition parts though.

→ Kamisama Dolls
Great license announcement. Blu-ray please.

→ Otorimonogatari and Koimonogatari
Obviously this was expected, great to see these instalments of the second season surface.
I'm still going to wait for a complete collection for the second season though. It'd take way too much shelf space otherwise.

→ Battle Girls: Time Paradox
I'll consider it if it gets a Blu-ray release, otherwise I won't. I'm interested though. Not as much as with Kamisama Dolls, Michiko and Hatchin & No Game No Life though obviously.

→ Tsuritama
I am considering it. But as with all the others a Blu-ray is essential for me to consider buying it.

→ Infinite Stratos 2
I got this anime recommended before, but without Blu-ray I'm definitely not picking it up.

⇉ MANGA ENTERTAINMENT
Just like Joshawott I question what they are planning on releasing in Q1 2015 given nothing much has been announced for it yet.
It's not unusual for Manga to have a quiet Q1, but this quiet would be overkill. Maybe they are going to surprise us with some Blu-ray upgrades or something else? I'm not getting my hopes up though.

→ Samurai Brides
The good news is we got the Blu-ray confirmed. The bad news is that we don't know whether this actually is a Manga release, a Kaze release or a Kaze release in disguise (like the One Piece movie collections).
Either way, unless they print more of Samurai Girls on Blu-ray I doubt I'll pick this up. I do want to watch the anime though!

→ Yu-Gi-Oh!
I'll consider it when it drops in price if it is a PAL conversion.

⇉ THROWBACK TO MCM MAY 2014
Agent-347 said:
→ Q → Could we see a UK release of Hyouka?
→ A → The odds are high of a release at some point, so it's likely a matter of "when" not "if".
Good to hear! I am definitely interested in watching this one! ^_^
Sad we haven't heard anything yet from either USA or UK about this. I'm waiting. (I do hope it'll get dubbed though)

Agent-347 said:
→ Q → Tamako Market or Chunibyou to come to the UK?
→ A → "There's something in the works", says Manga Entertainment.
Interesting! I honestly would prefer to see Chu2Koi released by Anime Ltd... But it all comes down to me wanting a rigid case. :3
The annoying part in this all is that Sentai releases are getting locked to region A again. :/
Tamako Market would be a good announcement, but I wouldn't mind this being a barebones release, I think.
It surprises me neither Anime Limited, Manga or MVM had an announcement for either Tamako Market or Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai.
I will -however- be disappointed if whoever gets Chu2Koi doesn't make an actual collector's edition with a rigid artbox.

If Andrew reads this, any teases you can give us? "At least one of the titles you mention you want to go to us is actually going to us" would already be pleasing. ^_~

⇉ REPLYING TO COMMENTS OF OTHERS
Elaniel said:
Shame Lodoss wasn't one of them. :( I know I keep going on, but that is the one single show I really am desperate for a license and Blu-Ray.
You have only one show you desperately want Anime Ltd to license? Only one? ONE?!
Seriously. It's sad to think about it, none of the series I already watched and really really really want to own have been announced/licensed yet in the last few years (or released on the right format).
It's like saying I have bad taste without actually saying it. xP I'll just continue under the assumption like with Hyouka and Chu2Koi that it's an event/announcement bound to happen though.

Cel said:
I can only imagine the glorious Attack on Titan Ultimate Edition All the Anime could have gave us. Shame Manga got it and give us that piss poor "collectors edition".
Yeah, that collector's edition is a disgrace to even regular editions. I'm not planning on buying it, ever.

NormanicGrav said:
Jeremy Graves' dream license: The first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
That's my dream license announcement as well, but only if it's in a nice chipboard box with season 2 and the movie and all on BluRay. Never gonna happen :cry:

I'm shocked at how sparse Manga UK's lineup is over the coming months. Looks like they are reliant on a handful of big name long running series from now on. But then I even thought that MVM and AL were a bit light on new acquisitions, I was expecting about double of what was actually announced. At least there is some good stuff in their lineups, but after GitS Arise there are no Manga releases of interest to me whatsoever.

Back