The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I just hope that this new venture understands that 'rest of world' includes countries outside the US, too, because Daisuki always stumbled there for its titles which weren't also available on other services.

R

Lutga said:
9 Million dollars sounds like a lot of money, but in this industry it's practically pocket change, especially if you're looking to pretty much set up a video streaming service singlehandedly.

Accounting for inflation it's about twice the investment that Crunchyroll started hosting legal content with.

(edit: added missing last word to the sentence)

kuuderes_shadow said:
Lutga said:
9 Million dollars sounds like a lot of money, but in this industry it's practically pocket change, especially if you're looking to pretty much set up a video streaming service singlehandedly.

Accounting for inflation it's about twice the investment that Crunchyroll started hosting legal content.

Interesting to know - I assumed it'd be much more. But I suppose CR have had time to build to their position as market leader however, whereas this new service will in many ways be entering the market late, and will have a job on their hands to convince people to use them - just look at the struggles Animax etc have had.

Yugioh is coming to Netflix
Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (English) will be available beginning tomorrow, November 1st in the United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland and the United States.

We will be rolling out additional series, local language versions and subtitled series in the coming months on various digital platforms. This rollout will include international streaming on Yugioh.com.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 DVD Box-set coming to the United Kingdom:
Manga UK will be releasing Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 on November 17th. Check out their website for more information.
http://www.mangauk.com/item.php?s=yu-gi ... s-1-49-dvd

Stay tuned , more international DVD/Blu-ray announcements will be coming shortly.

Interesting that they mention subtitled series. I'd be down for that.

Mangaranga said:
Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (English) will be available beginning tomorrow, November 1st in the United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland and the United States.

We will be rolling out additional series, local language versions and subtitled series in the coming months on various digital platforms. This rollout will include international streaming on Yugioh.com.

Manga UK will be releasing Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 on November 17th. Check out their website for more information.

Stay tuned , more international DVD/Blu-ray announcements will be coming shortly.

also interesting that they mentioned "DVD/Blu-ray announcements".
has Yu-Gi-Oh! ever been released on Blu ray? (not including the movie)

Agent-347 said:
Cel said:
Once you go blu-ray you can't go back :p
I have no problem buying DVDs of 4:3 shows or 16:9 SD shows that have no Blu-ray master. Obviously in that case I prefer NTSC over PAL though.
For stuff that is elsewhere available on Blu-ray or produced in HD you are right, a DVD release doesn't suffice. Even for Shakugan no Shana I don't want the DVDs.

The Blu-ray / HD version of Skaugan No Shana was terrible; especially for Season 1. Season 2 wasn't as bad but the DVD's (overall) still seemed better.

Jon O Fun said:
Mangaranga said:

also interesting that they mentioned "DVD/Blu-ray announcements".
has Yu-Gi-Oh! ever been released on Blu ray? (not including the movie)

As far as I'm aware Yu-Gi-Oh! has never been released on Blu-ray (other than the Bonds Beyond Time 3D Movie) BUT HD masters do exist for Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie, as it was once aired on ITV in HD several years ago, and I assume HD masters for Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal are available in Japan.

In regards to 'subtitle and dubbed' versions I assume they will be releasing the edited 4kids US English Dub as well as the Japanese version with English Subtitles; but obviously that's just a guess....

Sentai Filmworks have licensed the following via Oni-con:
- Celestial Method [Sora no Method]
- Shirobako
- Wolf Girl and Black Prince [Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji]

They also confirmed that Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb should have a release date soon.

I'll be buying Sentai's Shirobako and Wolf Girl And Black Prince for sure :)

Good news about Manga UK potentially having some interesting developments for us.

R

Siren Visual have announced they'll be releasing Memories on Blu-ray.

On an interesting note, Angel's Egg is a tough license according to SV:
Oooh Angels Egg. A deadset classic if ever there was one. Beautiful animation and a dreamy, surreal story. I actually have the Japanese DVD, but there are some licensing issues preventing this one from getting the English release it deserves.
Their release of Monster [which was completed earlier this year] will also get an artbox (to fit all 5 volumes) plus a booklet:
I really can't tell you much more than what we have already - we only just got approval to produce the box and booklet and we still need to translate/design/sign-off on everything...and trust me when I tell you that this stuff takes aeons.

All quotes are sourced from their Facebook page

------------------

I noticed something particularly interesting earlier today, I was watching HappyConsoleGamer's recent video (which was an hour and a half long panel video) and about 18 minutes in, his friend Rob said he took part in an English dub for Kingdom. For those who don't know, Kingdom was licensed by Funimation but was never brought out on home video. Not to mention the second season was never picked up for simulcast. I wonder what's going on now that this info has appeared.

Just Passing Through said:
Dannielle said:
Up for Memories, it's a very Anime Limited title isn't it .... ;)
Sony hold/held the license for that in the UK. It's probably in the same predicament as the Cowboy Bebop movie.

Sony has these lot on DVD but not Blu-ray, I wonder if Andrew will be able to get the Blu-ray rights if possible:
- Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
- Memories
- Metropolis
- Steamboy
- Tokyo Godfathers

Back