The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Shiroi Hane said:
ConanThe3rd said:
I don't like those wuss-ass punk air quotes over that "soon". That looks like a "soon" that will be still "soon" this time next decade.
I assume it is "soon" as in that is the exact word used in whatever source ANN are quoting
Still doesn't stop it from being vauge bs that they'll probably not follow up on because screw money.

Shiroi Hane said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Clearly the right course of action is to take initiative and make UK based dubs again. By night, Jerome will become The Dub, costumed sworn enemy to those who interpret Japanese through timed captions at the exclusion of everything else. His endless mission will be to give every prepubescent boy role to ether Maria Darling or the Horrid Henry woman (who I have just learned are two different people)
If we could sell the dubs to the US, fine, but they like making their own. They sometimes make their own even when a UK dub already exists (e.g. GiTS Innocence) or just plain don't release it at all (Millennium Actress), even when we went to the lengths of using a US studio and translating yen into dollars (Space Show).
I was being mildly facetious. Though I ellect to be his Jimmy Olsen if he goes through with becoming The Dub.

Mangaranga said:
SnowWolf said:
Oh dear, cue another blu ray/dvd combo where the dub is only on the blu ray.
This needs to happen more often.

I disagree. I don't think dismissing the people with dvd players is a good idea. The dub is the main reason for buying the dvd for many people and it reaches a broader audience since dvd will play on all players whilst blu ray won't. Mang UK have stated that the reason they won't release Clannad on blu ray is because there aren't fans with blu ray players in the UK.

Rather then buy a blu ray player, many will probably just import.

SnowWolf said:
I disagree. I don't think dismissing the people with dvd players is a good idea. The dub is the main reason for buying the dvd for many people and it reaches a broader audience since dvd will play on all players whilst blu ray won't. Mang UK have stated that the reason they won't release Clannad on blu ray is because there aren't fans with blu ray players in the UK.

Rather then buy a blu ray player, many will probably just import.
I thought he cited low sales as the reason it wasn't getting Bluray?
Either way it's not like it's anything to do with the fact that they released it really late - even after Sentai's first Bluray collection of Clannad.
Anyone who really wanted Clannad on Bluray already either has the Japanese Blurays, or Sentai's ones, both of which work on region B players anyway. Clannad can be bought for £50 on UP1, whilst after story is almost £48 - that's pretty much the same, if not slightly less than it would cost for a UK BD release.

Mangaranga said:
I thought he cited low sales as the reason it wasn't getting Bluray?
Either way it's not like it's anything to do with the fact that they released it really late - even after Sentai's first Bluray collection of Clannad.
Anyone who really wanted Clannad on Bluray already either has the Japanese Blurays, or Sentai's ones, both of which work on region B players anyway. Clannad can be bought for £50 on UP1, whilst after story is almost £48 - that's pretty much the same, if not slightly less than it would cost for a UK BD release.

The reason (if I recall it correctly from the March podcast) was that Clannad was too niche to be released on Blu-ray compared to other titles. Not to mention its 24 episodes which would cost way too much to sort out and that could make them broke either way.

The manga of the past is the manga of the past. To get mad at them now would be to be mad at Michael Bay for making Transformers movies, we must not scorn what nature has programed into the beast.

ConanThe3rd said:
The manga of the past is the manga of the past. To get mad at them now would be to be mad at Michael Bay for making Transformers movies, we must not scorn what nature has programed into the beast.

Especially since we can now get angry at Michael Bay for what he's doing to the Ninja Turtles.

They also said there were no plans to release SJA internationally a couple of Expos ago. Give them a chance, it makes sense to release on one platform at a time rather than investing a fortune on getting it working on every platform possible simultaneously just so everyone is catered for in a market climate where most people prefer to steal stuff :p

Android is popular so it's bound to come next.

I'm pretty confident we'll get more from the manga side in general as they work out the kinks. It wouldn't be good if they said "yeah, we'll do that this year" then let everyone down AoD-style, sailing past their deadlines as negotiations dragged on.

Separately...

It seems Nozomi have been on a licensing binge and grabbed Cat's Eye, Sengoku Collection and Shukufuku No Campanella, as well as rescuing Princess Nine and organising the next two manga volumes of Hetalia. Sentai have taken Dog & Scissors, more of Hakkenden -Touhou Hakken Ibun- and Stella Jogakuin C3-bu. Viz has got Gargantia and Blood Lad.

And Kaiji is now up on CR. This needs to be mentioned as much as possible (it's in the summer stream thread but as it's an older show I'm dropping it here too!).

R

They've had their chance and they blew it. The only way it's going to work now is availability for non iOS Platforms. I mean they have a web viewer, for goodness sake. That would require no coding to get sorted (or, even less than the redirect to the App store link, I'd imagine, actually).

And yes, it's awesome Kaiji is up on CR, it was looking kinda bleak when Joost just sort of disappeared.

Rui said:
It seems Nozomi have been on a licensing binge and grabbed... Sengoku Collection
Quite an overlooked show imo based on ep 1 being poor, it really changed into something a bit a-typical as it went on, I'll be picking this up.

Viz has got Gargantia
This seems odd to me, I had forgotten that Viz did... well, anything like this, really.

ilmaestro said:
Quite an overlooked show imo based on ep 1 being poor, it really changed into something a bit a-typical as it went on, I'll be picking this up.

Fully agreed on this. Sengoku collection was great for what it was, never thought it'd get licensed though.

Hoping Manga release HOTD OVA on Blu-ray once Sentai have done it. Just release a clone of that release. Standalone or as a set would be fine with me, as long as the set isn't too expensive.

Shiroi Hane said:
Just Passing Through said:
Just noticed that Australia's Madman release of Stein's;Gate on DVD is NTSC...
Here's a list of all their NTSC titles as of March.
I colour them blue on my master list.

That list is inaccurate. I recall posting on that thread that Manga's Oblivion Island disc was native PAL and authored by Madman Entertainment, recently I watched MVM's Is This a Zombie?, and they aren't shy of releasing NTSC discs, yet Zombie was also native PAL and authored by Madman.

Rui said:
It seems Nozomi have been on a licensing binge and grabbed Cat's Eye, Sengoku Collection and Shukufuku No Campanella
That's wierd.. because FUNimation already has Campanella, including home digital and UK rights.
Yup, still there on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/show/blessingofthecampanella

Just Passing Through said:
That list is inaccurate. I recall posting on that thread that Manga's Oblivion Island disc was native PAL and authored by Madman Entertainment, recently I watched MVM's Is This a Zombie?, and they aren't shy of releasing NTSC discs, yet Zombie was also native PAL and authored by Madman.
It's based on what Madman state on their own site.

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
It seems Nozomi have been on a licensing binge and grabbed Cat's Eye, Sengoku Collection and Shukufuku No Campanella
That's wierd.. because FUNimation already has Campanella, including home digital and UK rights.
Yup, still there on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/show/blessingofthecampanella

Yeah, people have been bombarding Funi with questions about when it will be released on DVD for a while now. I guess it didn't perform well enough as a stream and they decided to let it go or something?

R

ConanThe3rd said:
robot monkey said:
James Cameron is still working on the Battle Angel Alita film, glad to hear he hasn't forgotten about it. It seems he will finally start work on it sometime in 2017.
And I'm the queen of Shiba.

Knowing the speed he works at I find that timescale fairly believable. As it is going to be made in the same way as the Avatar films he's hardly going to knock it out in the minute.

robot monkey said:
James Cameron is still working on the Battle Angel Alita film, glad to hear he hasn't forgotten about it. It seems he will finally start work on it sometime in 2017.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106185

Wait he's making an Avatar 2 & 3? a sequel seems like it's un-needed let alone a 3rd film

Battle Angel Alita definitely ranks as one of my favourite all time Manga's so it'll be interesting to see what if anything happens. At least we know he can probably get a good 2-3 hours to do it in rather than being forced to cram it into 90 minutes

Back