The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Not usually one for the flashy box sets, but that Bakemonogatari release is very tempting. Cheaper price than I was fearing, I'll probably order it from UP1 when it shows up on there.

According to Manga UK's latest podcast, sales of the sub-only Blue Exorcist have been disappointing, but still impressive in their own right:

On the sales of the sub-only edition of Blue Exorcist, Mazandarani said: “We were looking at how many (units) we sold through in the first week based on what we shipped, and it was 60%. We did not ship as much as we were hoping to; it didn't get as many pre-orders as we'd hoped. But I'm pretty sure it's the bestselling sub-only release of all time for anime in the U.K. Aniplex announcing a few weeks before we were releasing it that they are going to do a dub (of Blue Exorcist) with Neon Alley didn't help.”

I'm glad that Jerome is looking at the other factors before condemning the model entirely as it does seem feasible that it's going to be the only way niche series will ever see a western release as sales dwindle (whether this particular very mainstream show classifies as niche is a separate matter). Though the reason I personally didn't bite was that the US version was already coming out before the announcement, and it was materially better. If these drawbacks can be solidly addressed rather than the UK always getting the short straw, I'd be more than happy to support such things.

I'm also disobedient by nature so the fact AoA refuses to sell to us makes me perversely less keen on buying local versions. The elephant in the room that is the global anime market needs to be addressed by the companies sooner rather than later.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... film-delay

R

Jerome seemed to warm up to the idea of trying to license the Phoenix Wright movie in that Podcast, I just hope that someone gets the rights and releases a Blu-ray here!

The Blue Exorcist situation annoys me, though it's not MangaUK's fault, I have no idea what Aniplex were trying to do here. You've got this really mainstream shounen action show based on a popular manga that could be shopped to Adult Swim or something...and they release it in volumes on sub-only DVD, which struck me as a missed opportunity. Then after MangaUK decide to take a punt on a sub-only release, Aniplex all-of-a-sudden announces it's getting a dub after all on Viz's Neon Alley? No wonder they were annoyed! MangaUK are now left with a release that's going to probably going to be superceded by an upcoming superior release, impacting these initial sales. What's more, it might not even be worthwhile to do a re-release, since by then Aniplex could have announced a US Blu-ray or people will just settle for the sub-only release cut-price in a sale.

Aniplex of America have found a business model that works at least, even if it prices me out of their releases...not that it matters to them :p. While some of their decisions annoy me, they're giving fans what they want and it's working for them, so fair play. Plus their parent company seem very co-operative with the US licensors when it comes to Bluray, unlike some other companies (looking at you Kadokawa).

VoxPhantom said:
Cheaper price than I was fearing, I'll probably order it from UP1 when it shows up on there.
Though I have spent many a dyspeptic year in this county, I have never until now witnessed so liberal an attitude towards personal expenditure being expressed by anyone therein.

I blame the soil acidity.

The main reason I haven't purchased Blue Exorcist yet is because of the problems I hear with the subs, like poor punctuation at times and some missing lines.

Rui said:
I'm also disobedient by nature so the fact AoA refuses to sell to us makes me perversely less keen on buying local versions. The elephant in the room that is the global anime market needs to be addressed by the companies sooner rather than later.
R
A japanese company would rather die than do anything of the sort.

Cathe said:
Bakemonogatari is up on UP1 now :)

http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/D1736

cheaper on their american site

http://www.up1usa.com/Details/D1736

Now release a dvd version Aniplex D:

Quite a bit cheaper by the look of the exchange rates, I understand they only charge normal UK postage from the US site aswell?

Also, I very much suspected Aniplex would continue this business model, limited releases at high cost. Also no dub and no DvD included in the box set?

Ouch. Luckily, I haven't received anything from my bank yet and my account looks fine. I hope it stays that way, I've already had my card cloned once this year.

Joshawott said:
Ouch. Luckily, I haven't received anything from my bank yet and my account looks fine. I hope it stays that way, I've already had my card cloned once this year.

Had my card hit, luckily the bank stopped it on the 1st transaction, something like £1.61 for airbus? didnt quite catch the full details, just it was clear it wasnt my transaction. I've only just recently signed up with AoL too :(

I'm wondering if we should assume the whole database was hit and people not yet affected should consider reporting their cards pre-emptivly? I guess your covered for fraud but it might be wise to think ahead.

I guess the only thing I'll be watching this week is my bank account. Like A Hawk.
Nothing amiss yet but I did get Princess Jellyfish from AoL a couple of weeks back and have a standing pre-order with them currently so if recently used card details have been taken then mine are almost certainly among them. *%£^~#! :x

I'd like more details when AOL can give them too. They did have that funny security certificate issue late last year... in my case I didn't flag them up as a possibility as I hadn't had a charge from them before, but of course I had input the card at some point when an older one expired.

It's sort of heartwarming in a completely depressing way to see how many of us were their customers ^^;

R

Just checked my account about 15minutes ago and yep...i've been hit

Bit strange to find a £10 O2 Topup from somewhere in Slough when i live in Northampton! Cancelled my card straight away and gonna have to wait till tomorrow before i can dispute the payment.

I'd suggest that whoever has used AOL or any other sites that have been hit to cancel their debit/credit cards

The following is taken from Anime-On-Line:

Anime-On-Line said:
Dear Customer,

In the interests of improved security anime-on-line will shortly re-launch using the Card Save World Pay portal in order to attain the highest level of e-commerce security, 3D secure. Additionally we will be implementing a PayPal option.

These improvements however will mean the deletion of all established customer profiles and any outstanding orders, including part completed orders. Customers are only ever billed for goods physically shipped, so any part completed order would only have been billed for items you have received.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please take the time to re-establish your profile on the new and improved site and we hope to continue to be of service to you in the future.

Anime-on-Line

I wonder what happens to all those points I saved up? I guess there are bigger things to worry about for now.

Back