The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

reborn said:
Please hold of re-subscribing until you hear the news though - there's more to discuss than just simulcasts !
So from the sounds of things - new subscription prices, new subscription options and hopefully we'll start seeing some shows that aren't going to have a chance of dvd release but at least is stream worthy.

All in good time - this season is kind of a transition one and we want to treat you right during that period. Watch this space on it and as ever I can't say more but I've been working on this project for a very long time now so am looking forward to being able to tell you more in as time goes on this season :).

All will be revealed and please wait on re-subscribing as I say.

Andrew

Ath said:
Anime-on-Demand (remember them? Me neither!) have put out a few new tweets here:

Anime on Demand said:
So everyone must be wondering what we're up to by now - well we're sorry for the delay and playing possum - big changes coming this season.

The first of which being we have a pile simulcasts to announce! #beatingtherushofjokes

Please hold of re-subscribing until you hear the news though - there's more to discuss than just simulcasts :)!

Wish we could say more - but alas there is a big burly man with a baseball bat threatening to hurt us if we do. #lawyershavechanged
We've heard this all before, but maybe it'll actually be different this time, I don't think they have to worry about people resubscribing though :lol:

In all seriousness, if they come out fighting with a good selection of titles, actually simulcast on time within hours of Japan every week in HD, then I'll give it another shot. That's what Crunchyroll offer (most of the time) and that's what they have to compete with if they want people to subscribe. 2 or 3 free seasons to all current subscribers to make up for the lost months would help as well!
Unless it's ether a) Neon Ally or b) Back to the CR model (Freemium, basically) then I don't want to hear it.

A dead service is less offensive than a bad one.

Damn, I should always remember to login when Conan has posted! Those new Forum features come in handy ;)

I'm very looking forward to seeing what AOD has to offer.

I've always been a supporter of the service and will continue to support it regardless of status or model.

reborn said:
Meanwhile there are those in the real world who realise advertising isn't good enough for the UK....

Shhh, don't you know that the only way to save anime in the UK is to appeal directly to Conan's specific requests? :O

As we already know advertising doesn't work here, pending any change on that front I'd like the current system to stay, though perhaps with more options (and more content ;_; I wanna be watching Kingdom).

R

Rui said:
reborn said:
Meanwhile there are those in the real world who realise advertising isn't good enough for the UK....
Shhh, don't you know that the only way to save anime in the UK is to appeal directly to Conan's specific requests? :O
It is, because my request is "Don't be stupid".

And, with the paymodel stuck in idiot mode, that isn't happening.

There's been absolutely no evidence or insinuation that their current model is wrong. They went silent on new content shortly after relaunching so to conclude the relaunch is the reason people aren't subscribing in droves when there's only been one simulcast in recent history would be premature :p

R

The fact that they could only get one Viz (their own stable, fyi) simulcast speaks volumes to how well it's doing to them. The Japanese won't given them the rights and I suspect that's from a lack of funds, indeed caused by the current model not working on top of the previous model not pulling the amount they wanted.

I can not think of a scinario where the uptake in subscriptions for one show (ONE SHOW) would work to undercut what was lost from the transition from an advert and subscribe based model outside of the UK anime customer base loosing their goddamned minds (and by that I mean the lunatic fringe gaining their minds and then losing it again) if they can not get the numbers based on a freemen model I can't think how they did it (if they did it) with a subscribe only model.

Fact of the matter; whether they like it or not; Kaze is fighting against the free of the fansubbers (to say nothing of the Freemium of CR and the archive that Netflix is slowly, yet surely turning into) and fighting that with a model that barely makes any sense whatsoever (Oh pay this amount for a season, how long is that good for? Dunno, guess you'll find out!) is not fighting remotely smart.

I really, REALLY hope Kaze get their act together and put AOD back on track (and/or simply bring Neon Ally over here in some capacity that isn't simply taking the name and slapping it on the site), but I fear that we'll just end up with the scraps again as Viz sets up something fantastic in Neon Ally and airs their shows though that, maybe giving us one show a season if we hold our gruel stand bowls and ask for more in a pathetic enough voice.

Of course, I'm just some cranky old bastard who wants his free stuff (and I apparently imagine the £12 a month I spend on Netflix and CR) and will pitch a fit on his rocking chair if he doesn't get it and is doing nothing to persuade you of my point.

So, really, all 'yal can just keep riding that bus (with your culthulian AOD subscriptions which I'm SURE you bought) right off the cliff with AOD for all I care.

I have no interest in Neon Alley and its dub-centric policy. At all. I think it would be a good thing generally for the UK to get some Funi-style proper streaming going for dubs aside from Netflix, but it would have no appeal to me as a customer.

Interestingly Kaze just cancelled my AoD renewal. I'm sort of glad as I had forgotten it was automatic, though I'm increasingly fascinated to know what the new system will be like.

Edit: In the name of optimism I'm going to irrationally hope AoD has One Piece for streaming :D

R

Ooh ooh, if Bakuman is sub-only can we piggyback on the French version's production run and also get a BD? :D

I've had the US DVD volume 1 on my shelf for what feels like forever.

*waves cash around*

R

VoxPhantom said:
Bakuman's UK release will be sub-only, due to the cancellation of the US release.

Source.
AH HELL NAWW!! At least the first seven episodes are available dubbed and i own them. I guess if there really is no dub available for the whole thing then I'll just have to get them sub-only. Too bad as well, the dub cast was decent.

Back