The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Whiel I'm completely fin with it being sub only I was kinda holding out hope that the dub wasn't dead as it had both Dean Venture (he has no real name, he is Dean Venture) and Rachel Lillis in it, two VAs I really like.

Yeah, it really sucks for dub fans, especially as the first part had teasingly come out and sewn false hope. I'm glad that the problems haven't sunk the series entirely though, and cautiously hopeful about its future now...

R

ConanThe3rd said:
Of course, I'm just some cranky old bastard who wants his free stuff (and I apparently imagine the £12 a month I spend on Netflix and CR) and will pitch a fit on his rocking chair if he doesn't get it and is doing nothing to persuade you of my point.

Wait a second, are you actually implying the idea that you enjoy things? And totally not things that involve some form of schadenfreude of things you hate, right?

theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Of course, I'm just some cranky old bastard who wants his free stuff (and I apparently imagine the £12 a month I spend on Netflix and CR) and will pitch a fit on his rocking chair if he doesn't get it and is doing nothing to persuade you of my point.

Wait a second, are you actually implying the idea that you enjoy things? And totally not things that involve some form of schadenfreude of things you hate, right?
Surprise! Calling people out on ******** doesn't mean you have to be a miserable bastard!

(Good lord these people)

Wow - I go away for a day or two of meetings and things move along pretty passionately!

Skipping replying to some of the individual messages about AoD as I think this addresses them without unpleasantness - this season is all about transition.

So for a full season (i.e. until January) will be 100% free and ad free barring a pre-roll message for one season only. We've removed subscription requirements for this season too as of today and I am working out the best way to recompense people who have been subscribers over the last season to make up for the lack of content. A situation I can only apologize for and that will make sense when the curtain is lifted, for NDA-tastic reasons I can't yet though (I can however say Conan's hypothesis of no-cash was wrong though).

Expect at least 6 new simulcasts running on AoD this season as a part of the above - we'll be announcing one a day starting either today or tomorrow.

We realise this is a very bumpy road we've taken everyone on and we're not there yet - new things are coming though and I will personally be gathering feedback from people both at London MCM Expo and beyond in order to guide that.

Regarding Neon Alley incidentally - I have no interest in porting it to the UK and all changes I am alluding to do not refer to that. I have a great deal of respect for their idea and the concept has some real appeal in the USA but I believe the UK has already diverged from a linear channel for our key demographic.

Nothing worth doing was easy and I want to build something that lasts for a long time for everyone though. I hope everyone is up for joining me for the ride from here on out.

Will be drafting something more official today too but as I started the conversation here I thought I'd give you the less formal version.

Much love,

Andrew Partridge

Joshawott said:
I was wondering, are there plans for AnimeOnDemand to expand into apps for things like Apple's iOS devices, like what Crunchyroll has gone?

It's not off the cards for sure - I'm still a proponent of mobile optimised websites with an encapsulated app effectively off the back of that but we need to optimise the site for mobile before that.

So in short - it has to come for iOS and Android but the question is the best method.

Andrew

Glad to hear that we're not getting Neon Alley personally, and looking forward to AoD rising from the dead! I'm not that bothered about my subscription having been a bit pointless but if compensation is coming I'd be happy to take a credit on the next subscription, however the model is going to work :D

R

Thanks for all this Andrew.

I'm happy to hear about the service going forward and can't wait to see what is in store over the coming days/weeks. One things for sure I'm definitely going to be riding along. ;)

2ij5eon.jpg

Can't wait to hear the new announcements. :)

I think Crunchyroll is once again showing a potential way for AoD to work in the UK... I think the problem with AoD is that the subscriber base is never going to be large enough for it to really prosper. With Crunchyroll now adding other language subs to their streams, it makes the solution more apparent.

Centralise the streaming service for Europe as a whole, and put multi-language options on all the streams. The same way that Kaze distributes its Blu-rays and DVDs. When you're selling subscriptions across Europe as a whole, it makes it cost effective to have multiple subtitle tracks, and you're attracting a larger audience for the streams. I'm sure some server trickery can still localise the ads, and just as Crunchyroll block regions from shows that they dont have regional licenses for, AoD can only stream to the UK those shows for which it has the licenses for, but can still be subsidised as a European entity, not just have to exist as a UK one.

kaze_andrew said:
A situation I can only apologize for and that will make sense when the curtain is lifted, for NDA-tastic reasons I can't yet though (I can however say Conan's hypothesis of no-cash was wrong though).
No, I said you couldn't get Viz (or Japan) to give you the shows for the last season (bar the one, which was a part 2 anyway) because you had a money flow issue.

And, hey, if you go back to a model that isn't barking mad come January (namely, CR's) I might be inclined to believe I was wrong on that part (though your previous model was barking mad, I'm not stepping down from that one).

And no Neon Ally? That's cool, royally sucks for me, cuz I really, really want to hear that dub for Tiger And Bunny this side of ever (to say nothing of anything Inuyasha or One Piece related) but what can I say, I'm only a potential paying customer.

ConanThe3rd said:
And no Neon Ally? That's cool, royally sucks for me, cuz I really, really want to hear that dub for Tiger And Bunny this side of ever (to say nothing of anything Inuyasha or One Piece related) but what can I say, I'm only a potential paying customer.

Ah okay - you meant dubbed anime online, not the whole Neon Alley service? I presumed you were referring to the whole service, which is a linear channel not on-demand as we are hence my reply - sorry for that!

Watch this space in the meantime!

Very best,

Andrew

theirsbailiff said:
Sorry Andrew, I don't mean to be rude or anything but is that picture on your avatar a picture of you?

Not rude at all - it is me :). Thought a bit of transparency was good so people know what I look like at events :).

Andrew

kaze_andrew said:
So for a full season (i.e. until January) will be 100% free and ad free barring a pre-roll message for one season only. We've removed subscription requirements for this season too as of today and I am working out the best way to recompense people who have been subscribers over the last season to make up for the lack of content. A situation I can only apologize for and that will make sense when the curtain is lifted, for NDA-tastic reasons I can't yet though (I can however say Conan's hypothesis of no-cash was wrong though).

Expect at least 6 new simulcasts running on AoD this season as a part of the above - we'll be announcing one a day starting either today or tomorrow.
Cool, the update is much appreciated Andrew. For me the most frustrating thing was the complete radio silence for the last couple of seasons more than anything, but it's good to see things are starting to move again. I want AoD to be successful, hopefully things will go onwards and upwards from here, I'm definitely intrigued to see what's on the cards now. (Honestly, just having the simulcasts put up on time every week would satisfy me at this point :p) I do understand that dealing with contracts and legal stuff must be frustrating though!
Just Passing Through said:
Centralise the streaming service for Europe as a whole, and put multi-language options on all the streams. The same way that Kaze distributes its Blu-rays and DVDs. When you're selling subscriptions across Europe as a whole, it makes it cost effective to have multiple subtitle tracks, and you're attracting a larger audience for the streams. I'm sure some server trickery can still localise the ads, and just as Crunchyroll block regions from shows that they dont have regional licenses for, AoD can only stream to the UK those shows for which it has the licenses for, but can still be subsidised as a European entity, not just have to exist as a UK one.
I think this is a really good idea, especially considering the small size of the UK market. Looking at the stuff Kaze has for France and Germany, it'd be nice to actually get some of the benefits of being in Europe as well. :wink:

Hi Andrew, just a quick question

If AoD is successful in kicking off again, is there a possibility in the future that an app would be produced for the PS3 so you could stream your anime through the console like what you can currently do with CrunchyRoll? (with a US account ofcourse)

If it is a possibility then AoD would be an instant membership purchase for me as was CR when it was available on the PS3.

Back