The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

There better be regular DVD releases of 12-13 releases as well, or no change in price (which I doubt given it would include another disc)...

ColdCobra said:
There better be regular DVD releases of 12-13 releases as well, or no change in price (which I doubt given it would include another disc)...

You're going to be relying on the second hand market a lot more, BD owners looking to get shot of DVDs they don't need.

Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
EDIT:
Next year, most 12-13 episode series' will probably be DVD/BD combi-packs. Sengoku Basara season 1 BD sales were less than 500 units and Strike Witches 1 didn't sell enough to justify season 2 on BD.
I'm assuming that's talking about Funi's releases?
MangaUK.

I'll believe their "most 12-13 episode series' will probably be DVD/BD combi-packs" thing when I see it though.
Yeah, that seems unlikely. Cool, but unlikely (maybe if they literally have 51% of their releases lined up like that, but even then).

So the SW comment is seeason 1 didn't sell enough (on DVD) to justify season 2 (on BD)... does that mean season 2 will still be released on DVD? Or do they mean "this is why we will be releasing shows like SW in DVD/BD combipacks"? Either way, it hardly surprises me when otaku-focused shows like SW don't sell well here.

Persona 4 is going to be DVD/BD combi-pack only. So at least from Kazé, it looks like you'll be forced to buy blu-rays.

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
EDIT:
Next year, most 12-13 episode series' will probably be DVD/BD combi-packs. Sengoku Basara season 1 BD sales were less than 500 units and Strike Witches 1 didn't sell enough to justify season 2 on BD.
I'm assuming that's talking about Funi's releases?
MangaUK.

I'll believe their "most 12-13 episode series' will probably be DVD/BD combi-packs" thing when I see it though.
Yeah, that seems unlikely. Cool, but unlikely (maybe if they literally have 51% of their releases lined up like that, but even then).

So the SW comment is seeason 1 didn't sell enough (on DVD) to justify season 2 (on BD)... does that mean season 2 will still be released on DVD? Or do they mean "this is why we will be releasing shows like SW in DVD/BD combipacks"? Either way, it hardly surprises me when otaku-focused shows like SW don't sell well here.
Strike Witches 2 is currently scheduled for a DVD-only release. I imagine Strike Witches sold enough units to make releasing season 2 on DVD viable, but the numbers weren't high enough to justify the cost of a blu-ray release.

Regarding that $89.98 price point for the Serial Experiments Lain remastered Blu-ray boxset from Funimation...

RACShas mentioned that (linked on Mania)

"We've been getting a lot of questions about the Lain Blu-ray, it's not an up-res, it is native HD. They actually went back and remastered the whole series, we even have a 24 page restoration booklet (along with a 320 page artbook) included with our release."

A 320 page artbook makes that price look pretty damn sweet now.

I'm curious to know what they'll fill 320 pages with - every frame of every episode? Not sure if I'll bite: I'm a sucker for special editions with decent supplemental material (i.e. not tat) but Lain confused the hell out of me when I first saw it. Hopefully it's not limited as I'll need to find the inclination to rewatch the DVDs before deciding whether to buy.

Not sure if I wanna bite either... I don't really need it but Lain is one of my favourites. That and Haibane Renmei kinda changed how I looked at what animated series could do.

Zin5ki said:
One notes that the reported BBFC classification is senior to that of the boxart by six years.
Explained on the podcast. Amazon won't accept TBC and they have to err on the side of caution so submit everything as 18. The provisional box art has what they expect the actual rating to be (hence there being multiple versions of the Angel Beats cover with different ratings for example)

theirsbailiff said:
That and the Boxset happens to have the words 'Fractle' on it written in big white lettering.

Ohh.. that was listed as Freezing for a while but has now been corrected again.

Screencaps of the JP release of Lain make the new transfer look amazing, I would love to be able to get that book as well. Is that standard in the US release, or just through RACS?

ilmaestro said:
Time for that Mikan and Nana hype train to start.
I find it funny how Lala and Haruna are featured a lot in that trailer, when they hardly appear in the manga.

I just wonder how censored the anime will be xD

lol yup, if you didn't come for Yami/Mikan or twins action, you might be disappointed. As for the "more important" question, what TV station is it running on?

ilmaestro said:
lol yup, if you didn't come for Yami/Mikan or twins action, you might be disappointed. As for the "more important" question, what TV station is it running on?
Momo all the way.

I don't think there has been a mention of the channel yet.

Back