The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ayase said:
Just Passing Through said:
Spotted on Right Stuf, as well as the Tenchi goodness...

Black Lagoon S1 & S2 DVD Blu-ray combo Nov 13th $54.98 pretailling for $32.99

That price has to be wrong.
It had bloody well better be, and I hope they don't honour it. I don't think I've ever known the first US release of a title be that much cheaper than the UK version, ever. Cheap reprints after something's been out several years, yeah, but not an inital release. How on earth would Funi have managed to get the licence so cheap as to make that price viable (not to mention Japanese reverse import paranoia)?

As I said in an earlier post, it is being released as part of the Classics range* hence the cheap price. When YuYu Hakusho was released on blu-ray it went straight to the Classics range as well.

* If you click on the link to TRSI it is listed as Black Lagoon DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - Anime Classics (Seasons 1-2).

mangaman74 said:
ayase said:

It had bloody well better be, and I hope they don't honour it. I don't think I've ever known the first US release of a title be that much cheaper than the UK version, ever. Cheap reprints after something's been out several years, yeah, but not an inital release. How on earth would Funi have managed to get the licence so cheap as to make that price viable (not to mention Japanese reverse import paranoia)?

As I said in an earlier post, it is being released as part of the Classics range* hence the cheap price. When YuYu Hakusho was released on blu-ray it went straight to the Classics range as well.

* If you click on the link to TRSI it is listed as Black Lagoon DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - Anime Classics (Seasons 1-2).

If you convert Kaze's RRPs for the Blu-rays to Dollars at today's rate, it comes to just over $125...

If you convert Kaze's RRPs for the Blu-rays to Dollars at today's rate, it comes to just over $125...

That is because Kaze is releasing both seasons seperately. If Funimation did the same it would have a RRP of $110 which is much closer to Kaze's pricing.

mangaman74 said:
ayase said:

It's still the first time it's been released on BD, and since we don't have YYH on BD here there's no precedent to this situation. If this is real then I would like an explanation from either Kaze or Funi of how Funi are both able and allowed to release something which is such a hot property (as a result of this, I imagine Japanese would be ****-scared of reverse imports which is a big deal currently) so cheaply. Seriously. The price difference beggars belief. If this is true then I don't see any reason anyone would pre-order anything on BD from Kaze ever again.

ayase said:
It's still the first time it's been released on BD, and since we don't have YYH on BD here there's no precedent to this situation. If this is real then I would like an explanation from either Kaze or Funi of how Funi are both able and allowed to release something which is such a hot property (as a result of this, I imagine Japanese would be ****-scared of reverse imports which is a big deal currently) so cheaply. Seriously. The price difference beggars belief. If this is true then I don't see any reason anyone would pre-order anything on BD from Kaze ever again.

It maybe that it isn't expected to sell well in Japan so they aren't bothered about the low price. Also we don't yet know the region code for Funimation's release. It may well be that it is region A locked which will mean Kaze wouldn't lose too many sales after all (other than for those who have multi-region bd players).

mangaman74 said:
That is because Kaze is releasing both seasons seperately. If Funimation did the same it would have a RRP of $110 which is much closer to Kaze's pricing.
Well, yeah. I think the more pertinent point is WHY Kaze are releasing both seasons separately and charging the same for each as Funimation (apparently) are for both.

i don't think Black Lagoon is a huge seller in Japan (the only sales info I can find is that the first volume moved just over 5000 units), so reverse importation may not be as pressing an issue as it is with more popular series.

mangaman74 said:
It maybe that it isn't expected to sell well in Japan so they aren't bothered about the low price. Also we don't yet know the region code for Funimation's release. It may well be that it is region A locked which will mean Kaze wouldn't lose too many sales after all (other than for those who have multi-region bd players).
In which case, why such a high price point in Europe? And why two separate releases? Something doesn't add up here.

terryschocorange said:
The English dub cast for Shakugan no Shana season 2, the film and OVAs.
Colleen Clinkenbeard as Margery Daw was to be expected.

Cherami Leigh's Shana is a much needed improvement over Tabitha St. Germain, but I don't like Kent Williams's Alastor (Father shouldn't be the God of Atonement xD). Frankly, Paul Dobson did a much better job; but both fall flat to Rie Kugiyama and Masashi Ebara anyway.

Nice to see J Michael Tatum as Friagne. I don't like Greg Ayres as Sato one bit; I would have cast him as Marcosias.

I like Sydonay's casting; Jason Douglas was pretty darn sinister in Elfen Lied. I imagine if he took Bandoh's voice and made it sound a bit less deeper, it would be a perfect voice.

I needed reminding though...do Sorath and Tiriel appear in the movie or season 2? (I haven't seen the movie and it's been years since I've seen season 2).

Mohawk52 said:
terryschocorange said:
The English dub cast for Shakugan no Shana season 2, the film and OVAs.
Hey Jerome! You want my money? Bring this over ASAP.
MVM have already licensed season 2, which will be due out here in 2013.

Joshawott said:
I needed reminding though...do Sorath and Tiriel appear in the movie or season 2? (I haven't seen the movie and it's been years since I've seen season 2).

They appear in season 2. Yay Wilhelmina's name is how it should be and not Wirhelmina like it was in season 1 :lol:

Hanabee announce new licences at Manifest...

Arakawa Under the Bridge
Bodacious Space Pirates
Ef - A Tale of Memories/Melodies

Apparently someone else is quoted on Facebook as opining that Space Pirates will be Blu-ray.

Say, didn't MVM announce Space Pirates for the UK?

EDIT: It seems like they did at May's Expo.

When I buy Manga Entertainment for £23 quid I expect controlling ownership of Manga entertainment. Not some half bit Ghibli Clone with creeper coming out of the seams.

Back