The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

There is but your average Japanese Businessman doesn't have the balls to man up to them.

I mean I would pay £50+/- 10 for all of Bebop HD (assuming that to be a standard box set). I honestly don't think that's that bad a price.

Nevermind Japan would want me to pay £300 for it just so they could hawk it at home for £500.

It's quite litterly cutting their nose off to spite their face.

To be honest though, I can understand where the Japanese are coming from with reverse importation. Yesterday, I went on Amazon.co.jp and searched for both "けいおん" and "K-ON!" and I found that Sentai Filmwork's season 2 blu-rays are being sold for 5,280yen (part 1) and 5,853yen (part 2). Compare this with one Japanese season 2 blu-ray, which costs 6,216yen after Amazon's discounts (for a more direct comparison, Bandai's season 1's first volume blu-ray is 3,000 yen, while the Japanese volume 1 is 5,746 yen) so it's blindingly obvious why fans would reverse import.

Now, we in the west can pout and say "Japan should lower their prices!" but they obviously won't if it's working for them. The K-ON! movie costs 6,745 yen on blu-ray (£54.63) and that still sold 96,430 units in the first week on sale. Now, I think it was in a recent MangaUK podcast where it was said that the international market only amounts to 10%, meaning 90% is in Japan. Now, business-wise, how logical is it to bring down 90% to put it more to line with a 10%, when you could just increase that 10% to be more in line with the 90% or make that 10% unappealing to that 90%? Not very.

If something small like blocking people from viewing the original Japanese language track without subtitles in a country where Japan is not the commonly spoken language or region locking helps prevents reverse importing and thus allows for releases more in line with our prices, I don't see a problem with that (especially as multi-region players are more widespread). Sure it might affect a vocal minority, but frankly, how many of the casual buyers would actually care? I doubt many will. It's also a pro vs cons situation I imagine, where having the Japanese voice track without subtitles might appeal to a minority of that 10%, it would appeal to the vast majority of that 90% they are trying to stop importing.

With the American Persona 4 situation, that is unfortunate. Cutting out the original language track is perhaps taking it a step too far and yeah, it does suck that Sentai have been made to say "If you want to watch the show in Japanese, then buy the DVD instead" but as long as America and Japan share a BD region, they'll have to put up with stuff like that in the future. As it stands, Kazé have received no such request from Japan (most likely due to the differing blu-ray regions).

With Cowboy Bebop, yes it's expensive, but I'm guessing that's supposed to be a premium item even in Japan. After all, it's a HD remaster of a show that's almost 15 years old.

Bebop isn't anywhere even remotely close to £300 in Japan, let alone £500. It's more like half that, and if the exchange rate wasn't in such a ridiculous mess it would be rapidly approaching a perfectly reasonable premium price for our market. Since Bebop should sell well in the west to more casual buyers, I think negotiating it to an aggressive price point wouldn't be impossible.

I don't actually mind locked subs (it helps that I can disable them in software >_>) but it's not going to stop there. Japanese home buyers are perfectly happy with locked subs too when it comes to saving hundreds of pounds; they lived with it in the VHS days and a portion of them will be happy to live with it now. Likewise, region locks mean nothing, realistically, and neither does blocking exports. I'll quite happily help my Japanese friends to get around these problems because the whole situation offends me so much, and our American friends will help us. The measures to deliberately gimp the foreign versions are absolutely going to get worse and worse over time if we tolerate this kind of thing now.

R

I openly admit to exaggerating (I believe, however, that's more or less what Aniplex would want if you wanted all of FATE/ZERO on home video right now).

That said, the japanese entertainment industry needs to wake up and smell the coffee before they suffer their own version of the Fukushima disaster (Which was noted to be a result of the Yes man culture that Japan pretty much persists on) because the day is coming where they will not be able to sustain the "Let's get 3000 otaku to buy this [ludicrous]¥ box-set and the hell to anyone else" attitude and by the time they've figured that out, they'll be half way down the cliff.

ConanThe3rd said:
because the day is coming where they will not be able to sustain the "Let's get 3000 otaku to buy this [ludicrous]¥ box-set and the hell to anyone else" attitude and by the time they've figured that out, they'll be half way down the cliff.
Evidence?

ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:
because the day is coming where they will not be able to sustain the "Let's get 3000 otaku to buy this [ludicrous]¥ box-set and the hell to anyone else" attitude and by the time they've figured that out, they'll be half way down the cliff.
Evidence?
I'd say them not having the confidence in thier own market to allow US/EUR (potential) customers to have a version of P4:TAS that's not embellished in some manor is pretty evidence enoguh.

Seriously, if they had any faith in the market they are running they wouldn't go to the lengths they do to ensure that their sku is the attractive one if only by virtue of it being the only horse that hasn't had it's kneecaps shot.

The lunatic view on recent Blu-ray developments (because I know how much you all covet my opinion):

I kind of wish I'd waited for the DRRR! Blu-ray. But seeing as I own the excellent Aniplex USA DVDs and don't exactly love the series, I'm happy to stick with what I got and save that cash for whatever outrageous sum Aniplex fancy charging for Bakemonogatari.

Castle of Cagliostro on Blu-ray? YES. But not if it's another Madman/Optimum (or whatever they're called these days) DNR'd-to-buggery job. I WANTS ME GRAIN.

Aniplex being bumfaces over Persona 4? Well, I don't like it but I can see why they're being so aggressively market protectionist about it. Credit to Sentai for getting their shows out quickly, which is something fans have long clamoured for, but the downside to that is going to be gimped releases, at least for shows that are doing well or expected to do well in Japan. Personally I'm not affected since I have the game and can't think of a reason why I'd want to watch a cheaply animated adaptation with its most interesting aspects stripped away... but it's a crap situation regardless.

Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray? I am officially interested in the sort-of reasonably priced standard edition - but only if the English dub is included. I wouldn't even care if there were no subtitles as I can't imagine myself ever watching Bebop in Japanese.

Tiger & Bunny Special Editions announced

The first one, "Tiger & Bunny Special Edition: Side Bunny" will be a compilation of the first 13 episodes with narration by Barnaby Books Jr., whereas the second one "Tiger & Bunny Special Edition: Side Tiger" will be a compilation of the last 12 episodes and will feature narration by Kotetsu "Wild Tiger" Kaburagi. Each one will be 90 minutes long and also feature new sequences.

The first volume will be released in Japan on 21st December, with the second on 29th January. Both will also have a limited first edition that will include a book-style case illustrated by original character designer Masakazu Katsura, a CD with audio drama and cast discussions tracks, a 16-page "Monthly Hero" booklet, video extras and a jacket cover illustration by character designer Kenji Hayama.

And the movies weren't enough?

EDIT:
Tickets for Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning go on sale on 21st August at 11:30am.

Apparently, a trailer for the Shakugan no Shana Season 1 DVD/BD combo pack is on the Strike Witches blu-ray...and the Shana season 1 blu-ray...uses the Japanese masters >> (Source: Fandom Post. Stupid links >>). So tempted to cancel my pre-order now (I own the Geneon boxset).

I just hope the season 2 blu-ray is because FUNimation are doing their own upscale now...at least, I hope T_T.

ConanThe3rd said:
Inazuma Eleven is back on TV on CITV's Morning block (and also playing on thier VOD player http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=321745)

Let's see if they do any better than Disney XD did (not the hardest thing to do but this IS that channel that airs fleabag monkeyface so let's just say hopes are set low).

Sounds like a good spot for it, at least it's available to everyone on that channel.

Disney XD just plain sucks, I used to enjoy Jetix but then we had a name change and a massive unwelcome influx of live action shows :( I don't think there's a single show I now watch on XD.

Back