The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Rosencrantz said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Sub Lock never made any sense to me. That's just begging for some sort of discrimination case to blow up in their faces.

Locking subs on for the Japanese audio is fine but what is really annoying is not having the freedom to turn subs on/off for the English track.

I reckon their might be a case to be made if someone buys something and expects to be able to have subs along with their english track(like the back of the box suggests). It'd be hard to justify for the deaf but those with partial hearing could argue they wanted the english track but also with subs to back it up.
Yeah. And then there's wierdos (Ie: me) who like having subtitles on as an estietic choice.

Just Passing Through said:
Which licensor would demand that a DVD player's timer be disabled during playback? Which licensor would demand that stopping a Blu-ray disc during play would mean reloading the disc from the start, instead of just resuming playback?
Err... we were talking about locked subtitles.

ilmaestro said:
Rosencrantz said:
Locking subs on for the Japanese audio is fine
No, no it isn't, thanks.

How so? The vast majority of viewers watching the japanese audio track will need the subtitles on. I can understand if you are fluent in japanese you'd prefer to have them turned off but your going up against the majority of viewers and also the liscensor decideing not to charge us 5-10x the price becuase we have something viable for reverse import.

Rosencrantz said:
ilmaestro said:
Rosencrantz said:
No, no it isn't, thanks.

How so? The vast majority of viewers watching the japanese audio track will need the subtitles on. I can understand if you are fluent in japanese you'd prefer to have them turned off but your going up against the majority of viewers and also the liscensor decideing not to charge us 5-10x the price becuase we have something viable for reverse import.
Why try to defend the indefensible? The real problem here is the companies trying to fight reverse importation in the first place, which is a protectionist move that goes against the idea of the free market that they, as private enterprise, are supposed to stand for. They want to have their cake and eat it, and their realisation that they can't continue to do so in a global marketplace is leading to ever more desperate measures - especially now the Japanese consumers are getting wise to the situation as well.

Shiroi Hane said:
Which licensor would demand that a DVD player's timer be disabled during playback? Which licensor would demand that stopping a Blu-ray disc during play would mean reloading the disc from the start, instead of just resuming playback?
Err... we were talking about locked subtitles.

Shiroi Hane said:
Manga has explicitly stated that UPOPs are a licensor stipulation (it is generally just assumed as far as I can tell).

You said UPOPs a.k.a. User Prohibited Operations which is pretty much Kaze policy, not just subtitles.

Heck I have discs (not anime) which disable the stop button on my player whenever there's a copyright screen showing. It won't let me turn the disc off.

HTPCs, or ripping and reburning discs to my specifications seems like a more and more sensible option.

mangaman74 said:
Joshawott said:
Cowboy Blu-bop!

It's finally happening in Japan

No mention yet as to whether there will be any English audio or subs.
Anyone but KazéUK & Manga Entertainment needs to license rescue Bebop and give us a blu-ray.

Fixed that for ya.

Fixed it for you.
So who else? MVM? But apart from Broken Blade, they haven't done any blu-rays.

I think Manga will be fine as long as they don't master it themselves xD

Joshawott said:
mangaman74 said:
Joshawott said:
Cowboy Blu-bop!

Anyone but KazéUK & Manga Entertainment needs to license rescue Bebop and give us a blu-ray.

Fixed that for ya.

Fixed it for you.

I think after recent history with Manga's releases I'd rather trust MVM.

mangaman74 said:
Joshawott said:
mangaman74 said:
Joshawott said:
Cowboy Blu-bop!

Fixed that for ya.

Fixed it for you.

I think after recent history with Manga's releases I'd rather trust MVM.
I'd wait until we hear more about blu-ray releases from MVM though.

And here's what we're expecting from the BD

Specs: 4:3 1080i, DTS-HD MA 5.1, LPCM (surround). Special features DVD includes some English audio (this is indicated specifically for the special features only)

Amazon Exclusive includes: exclusive illustration (Toshihiro Kawamoto) box, cloth poster, illustration cards(10), "future blues" DVD (same as 2001 one)

LE:
- 32p booklet
- OP/ED finalized storyboard
- Cover art illustrations postcards
- Film strip
- Newly written novel (by Keiko Nobumoto - series composition. It's about how Spike and Jet met)
- DVD: Extra Session (same as the one released back in 2005)

- Non-super ED (..yeah, not sure)
- PV, CM collection
- Full-sized music video - from session #0
- Club remix ver. music video (UK ver)
- Shinichiro Watanabe direction clip (scheduled)
- Ein's summer vacation (picture drama - scheduled)

- Audio commentary (same as 5.1 DVD-BOX) ep1, 17, 24
- as well as newly recorded audio commentary

- Art box illustration by Toshihiro Kawamoto (but it seems like this is different from amazon exclusive)

RE:
- Non-super ED
- PV, CM collection

Bandai Visual Club Exclusive Complete Package: http://shop.bandaivisual.co.jp/mall/...m_no=BDOT-0144
- TV BD-BOX + Movie BD + movie cel (1) = 44,940yen

If MVM's first dabble was a success overall (I'd like to know that!) then picking up something as popular in the west as Bebop would be a good choice for the next attempt...:)

R

ayase said:
Why try to defend the indefensible? The real problem here is the companies trying to fight reverse importation in the first place, which is a protectionist move that goes against the idea of the free market that they, as private enterprise, are supposed to stand for. They want to have their cake and eat it, and their realisation that they can't continue to do so in a global marketplace is leading to ever more desperate measures - especially now the Japanese consumers are getting wise to the situation as well.

You shouldn't overlook the fact that by wanting both full features and a low price US and UK fans are likewise wanting their cake and to eat it.

You have accept some basic facts, the companies producing Anime make the money they spent back over a period of years from BR/DvD and other sales. They have no legal obligation to sell to any foreign country and when they see that allowing others to sell their product so cheaply is affecting their ability to run a business they of course take action.

Locked subs is a minor inconvenience compared to them deciding they don't want to sell Anime outside of Japan.[/quote]

Rui said:
If MVM's first dabble was a success overall (I'd like to know that!) then picking up something as popular in the west as Bebop would be a good choice for the next attempt...

BD bebop would be awesome, assuming it transfers well. Though I can't help but feel we'd either not get it for 3-4 years or we'd be looking at a fate/zero style scenario

Look, if you want to be metaphorically fisted by the japanese companies, that's your business but don't impinge me just because I happen to like watching things with captions on (and not be otherwise inconvenienced by Japan having an economic state that would make 1920's America look booming), OK?

And besides that, just about everything the Japanese are doing right now that involves exerting extra control on a property is a complete admission that they have failed to market their wears in their own market (and not just anime, games too, thank you very much, ATLUS) and now will actively interfere with other markets to keep afloat for as long as it can.

And, really, if Japan retlarge wants to wall itself off completely, it's free to try. We got by when all we had was VHS tapes so we can and very well get by in this day and age, legitimately or otherwise.

Rosencrantz said:
ilmaestro said:
Rosencrantz said:
No, no it isn't, thanks.

Because I believe that accepting things like this because it doesn't (this time) affect the "vast majority" is not only insulting and inconsiderate towards the minority, but is an awesome way to get one foot on a particularly slippery slope.

ConanThe3rd said:
Look, if you want to be metaphorically fisted by the japanese companies, that's your business but don't impinge me just because I happen to like watching things with captions on (and not be otherwise inconvenienced by Japan having an economic state that would make 1920's America look booming), OK?

And besides that, just about everything the Japanese are doing right now that involves exerting extra control on a property is a complete admission that they have failed to market their wears in their own market (and not just anime, games too, thank you very much, ATLUS) and now will actively interfere with other markets to keep afloat for as long as it can.

And, really, if Japan retlarge wants to wall itself off completely, it's free to try. We got by when all we had was VHS tapes so we can and very well get by in this day and age, legitimately or otherwise.

I only said I was in favour of locked subs for Japanese audio, I too hate it when I'm prevented from putting the subs up on the english audio, not to mention all the other strange feature locks some discs have (zoom disabled? no a-b? whats up with that)

From a western perspective the business model seems mad but what we fail to realise is it's still a very small market in Japan. When I look at my shelves I have 50+ series, Japanese fans simply don't buy in this manner thus they target the few fans that will with expensive collectors sets. Lower prices have been tried but just don't balance out versus higher priced collectors.

How would you change this sitaution?

We are also ultimately dealing not with an author who wants the world to see their work but a business that needs to ensure they recoup what they invest. They need to make business decisions that keep them in business and you can't fault them for that.

I'm not saying don't get upset but it'd be nice if I could see an underlying sense that you understand why things are like they are. Even better is to propose a way forward, this is a tricky one for sure and I don't see the US being happy to go all PAL, or an easy way to get BD regions changed.

Ultimately this will end badly, best case scenario we get releases late, worst case they stop selling to the US outside of high price sets and at all times the internet will be providing fan subs to undermine legitimate sales.

Apologies for the doom and gloom and de-railing the news thread, i'll refrain from continuing this but feel free to respond with counter points.

All PAL wouldn't be a solution even if it was possible, it would be just as destructive as locked subs in terms of quality. My preference would be for there to be two tiers of releases in the west; one for collectors and one for more casual fans who just want to amass a huge amount of very cheap anime. The latter could be locked in every way necessary and sold to shift large numbers, and the former would be a high quality offering. As far as I can tell the experiments with premium releases in the US have been rather successful to date, unless companies are deliberately printing too few to turn a decent profit. In the UK the premium set of Wolf's Rain completely sold out while Manga can't even give away their unsold copies of underperforming titles.

In the case of Bebop the standard edition BD set is being sold at a sufficiently low price that a NISA-style US release (i.e. not a bargain basement release but not priced prohibitively) wouldn't necessary damage sales at all, so fears of reverse importation would be minimal. For Persona (both game and anime), I'd have absolutely no problem with their 'strategy' for the release if there was a high priced subbed BD offering as well, and if the game version's Japanese edition wasn't locked. There are surely solutions other than continuing to undervalue anime and cutting out the people who don't want to waste money on a poor quality release entirely :/

R

Back