The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Apparently the Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning UK premiere is at London on 23rd September at BFI Southbank. Although BFI Southbank's website has yet to be updated with such an event.

Source.

Ian Wolf said:
For those interested in something more adult, tomorrow DMP is holding a yaoi-themed Twitter trivia contest as part of "Yaoi Day".
How have DMP failed to explain in the article why tomorrow is called "Yaoi Day", when their own yaoi imprint is named after it?

ElixeIdej said:
I got an email from Sainsbury's this morning saying the Grave of the Fireflies BluRay had been pushed back from 12th November to an unspecified date. For whatever reason they don't list Totoro BD at all but it's a safe assumption that it would be delayed as well. Play.com also list Fireflies without a date. iirc this happened last year as well with Ghibli BD's put back to the new year.

And Play have put this up for 12th November

The Castle of Cagliostro BD double play.

Which is still a StudioCanal license, despite the temp Manga artwork.

In Manga News...

Shiki Part 1 scheduled for 8th October

Guess it hasn't been Kenichi'd into non-existence.

Just Passing Through said:
The Castle of Cagliostro BD double play.

I'm going to have no money left for xmas at this rate. Not that I'm complaining :wink:
I was wondering when this would get released here. The french have had it for a while now.

Crunchyroll PS3 App Launches Today

Well Actually Now...I know this is probably non-news due to being released NA only...but if you have a NA PSN account you can download it from the NA Store and you can login via your EU accounts, it does work, I'm currently watching Space Brothers at the moment.

lskhcrcopy.jpg

That just reminds me, I need to start watching Space Brothers again! I only saw the first 3 eps and thought they were great. I love it when I remember I've got loads of good anime to catch up on.

MrLaserSharkKH said:
but if you have a NA PSN account you can download it from the NA Store and you can login via your EU accounts, it does work, I'm currently watching Space Brothers at the moment.
Ah, good looking out. I'd nearly forgotten about that, even though it's how I have Netflix running on my Vita.

Strike Witches 2 release date update!

Not ours of course, which is still pencilled in for September 24th at the time of writing. That isn't going to happen by any stretch BTW.

Because Funimation has just issued a release date for the DVD-BD combo...

Well, the war on pants continues! Strike Witches Season 2 will be available on Blu-ray + DVD Combo on October 2nd (or December 31st?).

So there's no way that we'll get it before October. And incidentally Madman only announced their acquisition of the title last month and haven't even set a release date.

The only way I can see Manga getting it out this year is if they author the discs themselves, and I'm sure I'm not alone in begging them to wait for the Madman masters, after having seen what has happened with Panty and Stocking. 2013 for Strike Witches 2 is fine by me.

Interesting Tweet from Manga about releasing anime with locked subs...

Do you have some kind of list over which of your releases have locked subs?

No we don't. Sorry. I think we'll be required to lock subs on most future releases though. Especially for DVD.

I think that was a goof about DVD and they actually meant Blu-ray. At least I hope they meant Blu-ray. As mentioned on various Persona 4 threads, the Japanese companies don't care about reverse importing DVDs.

We're in the same DVD region and a different BD region, but locked subs are more common on BDs to my knowledge. It might be inheritance from the US version mind.

Shiroi Hane said:
We're in the same DVD region and a different BD region, but locked subs are more common on BDs to my knowledge. It might be inheritance from the US version mind.

Most of the BDs being released in the UK right now come via Kaze, and they lock everything as a matter of course, regardless of whether a contract stipulates it or not. They'll lock their mothers away if they could

Shiroi Hane said:
Manga has explicitly stated that UPOPs are a licensor stipulation (it is generally just assumed as far as I can tell).

Which licensor would demand that a DVD player's timer be disabled during playback? Which licensor would demand that stopping a Blu-ray disc during play would mean reloading the disc from the start, instead of just resuming playback? Kaze DVDs just demand to be watched on VLC on my laptop.

If they wanted to reduce my whinging (slightly), they should add a third audio option on the discs.

English with subtitles. Right now you get English with signs, or you get Japanese with subs. They'll never remove the UPOPs, but if they introduce that third option, locked though it may be, at least hard of hearing fans will have a use for Kaze releases.

Sub Lock never made any sense to me. That's just begging for some sort of discrimination case to blow up in their faces. Course then again if it is a Japanese thing (which let's face it, if they could they'd stipulate the amputation of arms and legs to just watch the intro of Madoka) then it doesn't need to.

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Crunchyroll PS3 App Launches Today

Well Actually Now...I know this is probably non-news due to being released NA only...but if you have a NA PSN account you can download it from the NA Store and you can login via your EU accounts, it does work, I'm currently watching Space Brothers at the moment.

lskhcrcopy.jpg

Oh and look, it's even poping up when I log into my native account, awesome.

Liner TV is looking hella silly right about now.

ConanThe3rd said:
Sub Lock never made any sense to me. That's just begging for some sort of discrimination case to blow up in their faces.

Locking subs on for the Japanese audio is fine but what is really annoying is not having the freedom to turn subs on/off for the English track.

I reckon their might be a case to be made if someone buys something and expects to be able to have subs along with their english track(like the back of the box suggests). It'd be hard to justify for the deaf but those with partial hearing could argue they wanted the english track but also with subs to back it up.

Back