The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Rui said:
Raising the price is weird enough but to design and resolicit it as singles after the collection? I don't understand why local companies accept and encourage the obviously strange restrictions the rights holders try to put on things ^^; it's not like there's any danger of it being snatched by the roaring competition.

R

I think you'd find its a case of do what we say or no release (and probably no refunds.)

From what I can tell literally every aspect of a foreign release has to be ok'd, not surprising when they have a big comitee of interested parties back in Japan trying to make sure they make maximum profit.

I don't blame them really as not every show makes back the investment but you have to wonder if Manga will actually bother with a singles re-release. Unless they can whip up some massive hype a few lucky people will snag the box sets and that'll be it, assuming the production company doesnt step in and stop the current boxsets.

Rosencrantz said:
I think you'd find its a case of do what we say or no release (and probably no refunds.)

From what I can tell literally every aspect of a foreign release has to be ok'd, not surprising when they have a big comitee of interested parties back in Japan trying to make sure they make maximum profit.

Of course, but it's not like Madoka is the only anime out there with no UK release. It always seems strange when some companies are putting out UPOP-riddled discs with locked subtitles, region locking, delays, no blu-ray and no extras, while rivals put out beautiful dual-platform special editions with no restrictions at all, and I can only think some companies sort of suck at negotiating. This would be such a case >_>;

R

What...the...hell?

I wonder if this means Jerome really had to fight Japan to get us the complete collection, with the limited run being the compromise? After all, even Germany (DVD only) is releasing it in singles (and it wouldn't surprise me if the eventual UK singles are DVD only too, considering the blu-ray situation here).

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for this is because the first 2 Madoka Magica movies are being released in Japan in October as well and Aniplex have realised that this will result in a boom of DVD/BD sales in Japan (like with Strike Witches).

I own all of Aniplex USA's Limited Editions, but I've put in my pre-order on HMV.

Gah... confusing. I'm considering giving the series ago and a purchase however at the moment - i'm not considering it worth pre-ordering but I guess nearer the time, i'll guess I would have to change that viewpoint before Aniplex get Manga to enforce whatever the hell they agreed on.

Of course Madoka gets screwed over because the Japanese say "Jump" and Manga ask "How High?".
It's a wonder my Dragonball Z disks didn't explode in the DVD player.

Manga; for the making sure that Anime never wins.

FFS Conan, we get that you don't like Manga, but you're just imagining the scenario that allows you to pour the most scorn on them.

I think we all know that what really happens is that the Japanese say "Jump exactly this high or you get nothing" and Manga attempt to squeeze as much leeway out of them as possible, which can normally be measured in millimetres. They have their faults, but they're not to blame for things the Japanese licence holders demand of them. What's the alternative - no anime?

Except this time it clearly isn't Manga's fault; it sounds to be an Aniplex problem. The fact that we're even getting a complete collecition for under £30 (as limited as it may be) tells me that Manga really did try to fight for this one.

If MangaUK cock up I will have no problem in pointing that out, but this time, the fault isn't with them.

I'd feel less sour about it if a) this arrangement was made clear the moment the licence was obtained and b) The Amazon page for the preorder was easier to access.

I don't think there's much to complain about since we are lucky and know about it so we can preorder for the bargain price (except in my case I don't want it and have the significantly better import). I guess Aniplex aren't happy supporting such an insanely cheap release for such an important series, and with Manga UK cheap is the angle they always try to go for, for their UK customers.

R

Moving away from us going on about the whole Aniplex/Manga situation and telling Conan to stop being a miserable git, I've somewhat found a listing on Amazon for a US release of Digimon Adventure. It's slated for an October release and I'm just wondering; is it legit?

theirsbailiff said:
Moving away from us going on about the whole Aniplex/Manga situation and telling Conan to stop being a miserable git, I've somewhat found a listing on Amazon for a US release of Digimon Adventure. It's slated for an October release and I'm just wondering; is it legit?

The regulars in the discussion at TFP seem to believe so:

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/sho ... -(Season-1)

I'm not interested in dub-only but it looks like a great deal for fans of the English version!

R

ConanThe3rd said:
I'd feel less sour about it if a) this arrangement was made clear the moment the licence was obtained and b) The Amazon page for the preorder was easier to access.
Tell me about it. All that typing "Madoka" into the search bar and scrolling down half a page... What a bother.

Rui said:
I don't think there's much to complain about...
Abso-bloody-lutely. The full series of a very highly regarded show, on BD, for less than £30. The only people I can see having a problem with this are those who, for whatever reason, wanted to wait six months from the release date before buying it. Guess what, you have three months until it's out to save up. You could make £30 in three months begging on a street corner.

vashdaman said:
I am conflicted by this new piece of news. On the one hand I feel that I need to experience this show(need I remind anyone of this classy thread http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic ... c&&start=0

On the other hand I'm worried that it's not my type of show (need I remind anyone of the same previously mentioned classy thread..)
I'm not sure it's my type of show either; and having read the first volume of the manga and found it pretty disappointing, I've pre-ordered the bluray with more than a little trepidation.

vashdaman said:
I am conflicted by this new piece of news. On the one hand I feel that I need to experience this show (need I remind anyone of this classy thread http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic ... c&&start=0

On the other hand I'm worried that it's not my type of show (need I remind anyone of the same previously mentioned classy thread..)
My prediction is coming true vash... your grip on the ladder of manliness is weakening!

ayase said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Tell me about it. All that typing "Madoka" into the search bar and scrolling down half a page... What a bother.

Rui said:
I don't think there's much to complain about...
Abso-bloody-lutely. The full series of a very highly regarded show, on BD, for less than £30. The only people I can see having a problem with this are those who, for whatever reason, wanted to wait six months from the release date before buying it. Guess what, you have three months until it's out to save up. You could make £30 in three months begging on a street corner.
Oh don't be an **** (for starters that's my job) the last time I check, I did not find the listing at the middle of the page, I found it on page 2 so that's a thing. I have similarly pre-ordered as I was going to do previously.

And I think that there is absolutely something wrong here. If the full set being available was a problem from the off, Manga should have said so people could have acted accordantly WELL before this point.
Course, the last time Manga properly used a channel of communication for anything was about the same time as Dinosaurs roamed the earth.

theirsbailiff said:
As for the boxset, It sounds legit (though that box screams "Made in five minutes with Photoshop" and the company is a new one AFIK) and with a whole block to play with Saban could pretty much air it next to Sonic X on the CW with nary a thought. The timing's right for it.

ConanThe3rd said:
I think that there is absolutely something wrong here. If the full set being available was a problem from the off, Manga should have said so people could have acted accordantly WELL before this point.
What exactly do you mean by "acted accordantly" though? There are still three months until it's released. That's plenty of time to pre-order and find the small amount of cash necessary if you're bothered about missing out.

I'd be annoyed too if Manga had said after the initial solicitation for the full series box that they were going to release in singles instead. That would have been an awful gaffe and would have pissed everyone off to no end - but that's not what they're saying. We can still get the full series and for a very good price, it just might not be available for long. Like I say, I fail to see why that would be a problem, and who exactly that would be a problem for. Can you tell me that?

On this form? Probably no body bar those who are steadfast on the fence and are waiting for reviews (ether from a technical standpoint or from a "I've been living under a rock" one).

My point is Manga must have known this from the start that this was a condition of the licence (if not this seriously raises some questions in regards to not only Manga's busines mannor but Aniplex's) and to have this come up at least three months after the licence was announced as a "Btw" on an answer to a question that wasn't even properly answered is ridiculous. What if no one had noticed that comment and suddenly the Madoka Boxsets were on backorder?

Is it ok then? Cuz if not for PR letting it slip, we wouldn't have known.

Back