The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Flim4 are showing some Studio Ghibli flims in April.

My Neighbour Totoro– 2nd April (1.05pm) and 8th April (11am)
Kiki's Delivery Service – 3rd April (12.50pm) and 9th April (11am)
Howl's Moving Castle - 11th April (12.40pm)
Spirited Away – 12th April (12.35pm)

Cheers. I can live with that level of banding and macro blocking. It all depends on how the show looks in motion. I just want it to be better than the DVD and I'll be happy.

It's a pulldown from 30fps to 23.97. This has been shown on the german release to cause scenes to be very choppy.

The PQ could end up worse than AL FR since its had a disc cut from both seasons, and with Manga doing the authoring themselves I dont think they'll prevent the image quality getting worse as a result.

Manga don't have a rep for crappy image and audio quality. They're bad rep comes from chaptering, from subtitling, and from authoring decisions. Their AV is usually okay-ish, for a given value of okay. It's all about how the master is authored onto the disc. 24fps pulldown from 30 might be smooth, might be jerky. We've been dealing with these issues all through the DVD age, and the quality of Manga's product will be dependent on the masters. They won't be copying files off AL FR's Blu-rays. The US release was 1080p, and the last thing that people were complaining about was the playback quality.

It's a pulldown from 30fps to 23.97. This has been shown on the german release to cause scenes to be very choppy.

The PQ could end up worse than AL FR since its had a disc cut from both seasons, and with Manga doing the authoring themselves I dont think they'll prevent the image quality getting worse as a result.
To be honest, I don't know if the super choppiness is an inherent problem with pulldowns or the incompetence of the encoder who did it.

Whilst it is easy to point out their one recent botch job, what you fail to acknowledge is all the other titles they've released since then that are totally fine.
They did mess up some of the recent Ghost in the Shell re-releases with poor transfers and questionable subtitles, that wasn't so long ago.

To be honest, I don't know if the super choppiness is an inherent problem with pulldowns or the incompetence of the encoder who did it.
Even if Manga UK had access to the 30 fps masters, you still wouldn't get a 30 fps release because the official Blu-ray spec does not support 1080p at higher than 24 fps (1080i@60 works though). And they're not going to do a release where they put 1080p masters on 4KBDs just to get that smoother 30 fps frame rate (4KBDs support up to 60fps).
I just think a lot of people are getting hung up on their mistakes and totally ignoring the fact the majority of their recent releases are issue free.
For me personally, I get hung up on them because they never really try to make it right (at least not in my experience). They've for example already stated that the movies that will be included in this set have NOT been re-authored to fix the issues from the re-release. If we compare Manga UK to say, Anime Limited, we see that Anime Limited runs replacement programs for most of their issues that appear. And because of those programs, I tend to be more forgiving when Anime Limited messes up.

Even if Manga UK had access to the 30 fps masters, you still wouldn't get a 30 fps release because the official Blu-ray spec does not support 1080p at higher than 24 fps (1080i@60 works though). And they're not going to do a release where they put 1080p masters on 4KBDs just to get that smoother 30 fps frame rate (4KBDs support up to 60fps).
Afaik, the Italian, Japanese and Korean sets are 1080i@30fps

Last edited:
I was quite hyped for the Stand Alone Complex UK blu-rays, but since it is a 23.97 fps pulldown, I guess I'll save the money for something else and stick with my SAC DVDs.

Crunchyroll just announced a whole slew of stuff they've licensed for the coming season.

Crunchyroll Spring Anime

No territories yet. As long as they don't block Steins;Gate Zero in the UK, I won't have to seek "alternate means". My resolve to use only legal sources is usually pretty strong, but if they try to keep me and Steins;Gate apart, then all bets are off.

Crunchyroll just announced a whole slew of stuff they've licensed for the coming season.

Crunchyroll Spring Anime

No territories yet. As long as they don't block Steins;Gate Zero in the UK, I won't have to seek "alternate means". My resolve to use only legal sources is usually pretty strong, but if they try to keep me and Steins;Gate apart, then all bets are off.
Yep, already on @NormanicGrav 's season thread.
Seems they'll be a SimulDub on Funimation, so I'm happy as that's how I watched the original. No such luck with Tokyo Ghoul: Re though it seems.

Last edited:
Yep, already on
Seems they'll be a SimulDub on Funimation, so I'm happy as that's how I watched the original. No such luck with Tokyo Ghoul: Re though it seems.

Right, Steins;Gate is safe! I need nothing else for this season.

Shame about Full Metal Panic though. That's one I'd been keeping an eye on for a while. Guess I'll just wait until the inevitable home release.

Back