The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Yeah I'll be watching the SimulDub, need to get a FunimationNow subscription now I think about it.
Is FunimationNow still as crap as it used to be though? I got rid of it in favour of HIDIVE because it was constantly buffering on all platforms I tried (desktop/mobile/PS4/Amazon Fire).

EDIT - that's with a 100mb connection and other services streaming fine

Is FunimationNow still as crap as it used to be though? I got rid of it in favour of HIDIVE because it was constantly buffering on all platforms I tried (desktop/mobile/PS4/Amazon Fire).

Worked fine for me, except when my internet struggled which isn't the apps fault.

Same thing happened for me. I'm glad I am not a dub fan because that means I just have to wait for everything to end up on Crunchyroll. The app in particular was atrocious. I too have a fast connection that struggled on no other sites, so it was definitely their fault.

Last edited:
So is FunimationNow strictly dub-only streaming? Do any titles on there include an option for Japanese with subs, or do they automatically put all their subbed titles on CrunchyRoll? I've never even looked into that service at all. If FN is all just dub-only stuff, then I will never need to bother with it.

So is FunimationNow strictly dub-only streaming? Do any titles on there include an option for Japanese with subs, or do they automatically put all their subbed titles on CrunchyRoll? I've never even looked into that service at all. If FN is all just dub-only stuff, then I will never need to bother with it.

Well I'm not entirely sure. For the last year or so they've slowly been removing subbed stuff from their site and just letting Crunchyroll have it in batches. All their newer stuff has been dub only, and I had assumed the end goal was to be completely dub only. However, in the recent show announcements, they held back two shows (Tokyo Ghoul and FMP), and appear to be streaming those in both dub and sub and assumedly not letting Crunchyroll have them. So, nominally they are working toward being dub only, but perhaps they are reconsidering that position.

I certainly hope they aren't reconsidering though. Their site was a truly heinous experience last time I tried it, so I'd prefer if they had no exclusive subbed streams.

Edit: Sorry, it was just Tokyo Ghoul they appear to be keeping to themselves. I forgot Crunhyroll mentioned FMP on their season lineup.

Last edited:
OK, then I won't need to consider that service, since I don't care for either of those series anyway - one less monthly subscription to pay for. I'll probably be signing up for HIDIVE instead at some point, still waiting for a Roku app for that...

However, in the recent show announcements, they held back two shows (Tokyo Ghoul and FMP), and appear to be streaming those in both dub and sub and assumedly not letting Crunchyroll have them.
To clarify both Crunchyroll and Funimation have them, but Crunchyroll haven't announced the regions yet and Funimation seemingly aren't allowed to in the UK? Possibly because AL have the licences to these and don't want them streaming, although they have the licenses to loads of stuff that are on Netflix and have been on VICELAND including all the previous TG seasons/OVAs. So maybe they will appear on Netflix, but only in the UK?

The agreement between the two distributors is that all of the titles that are dubbed will go on Funimation while all of the titles subtitled only will go on Crunchyroll. That means a number of catalogue titles that got added onto Crunchyroll will lose their sub-only status on Funimation with the exception of the 'no dubbed' titles and special licenses like One Piece.

To clarify both Crunchyroll and Funimation have them, but Crunchyroll haven't announced the regions yet and Funimation seemingly aren't allowed to in the UK? Possibly because AL have the licences to these and don't want them streaming, although they have the licenses to loads of stuff that are on Netflix and have been on VICELAND including all the previous TG seasons/OVAs. So maybe they will appear on Netflix, but only in the UK?

Basically the long story short of all this is that Crunchyroll & Funimation simply do not have the UK & Ireland rights to both Full Metal Panic! IV and Tokyo Ghoul;re. This is because someone has very much likely acquired the rights. These two big shows are titles that would be licensed under Funimation rather than Crunchyroll for consistency reasons.

They can appear on Crunchyroll if the UK licensor wants them to be.

The Animerama double feature set of 1001 Nights & Cleopatra are now available to pre-order on Amazon UK for both Blu-ray & DVD from Third Window Films. The set will be available on 18th June 2018.

The release features a slipcase & reversible sleeves plus liner notes by film critic Simon Abrams for the first 1000 units. On-disc features include an Interview with director Eiichi Yamamoto, and Audio commentaries by Helen McCarthy (The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga).

Slight side note but we don't not want them streaming our stuff per se, we just need a commercial offer to do it :). They've been working hard on laying the groundwork for the platform with the content they have in-house first though before looking externally I'd suspect and I think it's a statement of how far they've come that I'm seeing more people note when a show isn't on there for a simuldub now! So all in - don't think it's impossible that shows will show up there in future when we license them just like they do on Crunchyroll already :).

Best,

AP

Some Japan related news rather than strictly speaking anime news, but I mention because it may interest some.

Next week (as of 21st April) BBC Radio 3 is broadcasting a season of Japanese-theme programmes entitled "Night Blossoms".

Beginning in April, a new sound across weeknights for culturally minded audiences - directing them through Radio 3’s existing music and speech programming in the newly titled After Dark, every Monday - Friday at 10pm.

This new late zone will launch with a special week-long season, Night Blossoms, exploring the mysterious, counter-cultural and unexpected side of Japanese music and arts across the station’s evening programmes, running from Saturday 21 - Friday 27 April.

Highlights will include a dedicated edition of The Essay exploring those who have resisted ‘modernity’ and the mainstream, instead focussing on alternative, unexpected undercurrents in modern Japanese life. Radio 3’s adventurous music programme Late Junction will dedicate the week entirely to music from the country, coupled with immersive recordings of the diverse and often unexpected soundscape of Tokyo late at night, created by Late Junction presenter Nick Luscombe. The Late Junction Mixtape will be by legendary Japanese composer and musician Yoshihide Otomo.

Meanwhile a dedicated Sunday Feature documentary will examine the supernatural and the role ghosts and the ghostly have played in Japanese culture. The season will also feature special editions of Music Matters recorded in Japan, Jazz Now with Japanese jazz pianist Makiko Hirabayashi and The Verb with a line-up of Japanese writers and poets. Music Planet will feature a session with Japanese drummer Joji Hirota. There will also be special editions of Between the Ears, Free Thinking and Exposure.

BBC - BBC Radio 3 announce new After Dark zone, refreshed weekend programmes and new presenter line-up - Media Centre

Back