The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Yeah, I don't ever try to compare a movie to the book, mainly because I don't read anymore, so I have nothing to compare a movie to, thankfully. I get to enjoy all of my movies or anime unadulterated. I went through my big reading phase well over 30 years ago; now I'm old and mentally feeble enough that I'd rather be spoon-fed my visuals, instead of having to try to imagine them in my head, lol. :confused:

Last edited:
In case you missed it, ERASED Part 2 was recently rated by the BBFC:

DTX-M16W0AAIZoX.jpg

Neo Magazine... The folks who every year ignore the existence of Seven Seas Entertainment..

You know, the company that releases a fair few titles, have partnered up with J-Novel Club and recently made a new mature reader imprint called Ghost Ship.

No, Never heard of them? Oh OK then

I'm not bitter... TRUST ME

Neo Magazine... The folks who evy year ignore the existence of Seven Seas Entertainment..

You know, the company that releases a fair few titles, have partnered up with J-Novel Club and recently made a new mature reader imprint called Ghost Ship.

You know the moment Seven Seas deserves Best Manga Publisher when they introduce a new imprint dedicated to the real goods. And they also have Cutie Honey and Devilman so there's that.

I believe Manga also won "Best Asian film distributor" ...huh now.

Neo Magazine... The folks who every year ignore the existence of Seven Seas Entertainment..

They don't tend to double check release date information they push out either, irritates me to no end to see them stating a certain show is out that week when a delay was announced weeks before.

They also called Log Horizon trash while it was airing. Kids arc of the second half of the second season I can understand a trash comment being put forward but the first part of season 1? Get out.

Yeah, I keep hearing that as a criticism of it. It doesn't remotely interest me. I haven't read the original novels and have no intention of. I'm judging Ghibli's film purely on its own merits.

Same here, but I'd still single it out as one of the worst films (and certainly the worst anime) I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through in a cinema. The nonsensical, piecemeal way that they've adapted Le Guin's work is evident and probably responsible for most of the film's failings - Arren's motivations you mentioned, but also the poor characterisation of the rest of the main cast as well which ultimately left me uninvested, uncaring and downright bored. I can fully understand others not having as negative of a reaction towards the film as I do, but I can't quite understand not having it dead last when ranking Ghibli's features - none of the others come close to having the number of problems as it does.

They don't tend to double check release date information they push out either, irritates me to no end to see them stating a certain show is out that week when a delay was announced weeks before.

In defence of NEO Magazine on that count, they do check release dates, and regularly at that. The issue that they face is that they're a print title in a fast-moving industry, so a lot can change and shift in the time between going to print and an issue arriving on newsagent shelves.

I can't quite understand not having it dead last when ranking Ghibli's features - none of the others come close to having the number of problems as it does.
I put Marnie easily last in my list:
Lastly, if we're including Cagliostro, here's my modified list:
  1. The Wind Rises
  2. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  3. The Cat Returns
  4. Kiki's Delivery Service
  5. Porco Rosso
  6. Ponyo
  7. My Neighbours the Yamadas
  8. From Up On Poppy Hill
  9. Spirited Away
  10. Grave of the Fireflies
  11. Tales from Earthsea
  12. Howl's Moving Castle
  13. Only Yesterday
  14. My Neighbour Totoro
  15. The Castle of Cagliostro
  16. Pom Poko
  17. Princess Mononoke
  18. Whisper of the Heart
  19. Arrietty
  20. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  21. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
  22. Ocean Waves
  23. When Marnie Was There
Earthsea nearly made the top ten.

In defence of NEO Magazine on that count, they do check release dates, and regularly at that. The issue that they face is that they're a print title in a fast-moving industry, so a lot can change and shift in the time between going to print and an issue arriving on newsagent shelves.

Ah, I should've explained myself better. It's their Twitter account that's the culprit. I can totally understand in print dates not being up to date :)

It wasn't on my cinemas list. But I also dont count a 11 year old film as good as they did ASV or Hokusai

Showing at:

ICA - 11 February 2018
QUAD - 11 February 2018
HOME - 18 February 2018
Dundee Contemporary Arts - 27 February 2018
Queen's Film Theatre - 1 March 2018
Depot - 3 March 2018
Brewery Arts Centre - 11 March 2018
Macrobert Arts Centre - 12 March 2018
Broadway - 17 March 2018
Midlands Arts Centre - 25 March 2018
Exeter Phoenix - 27 March 2018

It is, overall, quite an uninteresting list this year on the face of it but the choices of the Japan Foundation are always eclectic. Only they would choose to celebrate the centenary of Yuzo Kawashima, a little-known director here with only one film available on DVD, with a film of his that's relatively little known in his home country. But that's part of their charm, I suppose!

I put Marnie easily last in my list:

Earthsea nearly made the top ten.

That's an interesting ranking, I'll give you that! Marnie would certainly be lower tier on mine as well, though I don't think it's poorly made. To be honest, other than Earthsea I'd probably give every Ghibli film a 7/10 or equivalent minimum.

I love that the NEO awards are still going! Did Koei sponsor and Dynasty Warriors win Game of the Year again? I don't say this out of mean spirited-ness, I say this out of fondness. If only Dynasty Warriors won more game of the year awards, the world would probably be a better place. I say this as someone who regrets every mean word I ever said about that stalwart of the strategic action game genre, Dynasty Warriors.

I must say, NEO is something of a stalwart of print publishing. How on earth is it still going? It'll outlive the newspapers. It must be their cosy relationship with that stalwart of the anime merchandise world, Tokyo Toys.

I feel this post has somehow done a disservice to Dynasty Warriors.

Back