The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Rui said:
Hmm, could it be that Japan won't let them, because Japan is region 2 like us? The PAL/NTSC issue would have been a natural barrier in the past for casual importing (and indeed, all of the foreign imports I saw over there were R1s). It can't possibly be a technical issue since other companies release NTSC here already.

Shame.

R
I agree that that's most likely the issue. I'm sure MangaUK would happily jump at the chance of doing so (As they said it could cut 50% of the costs).

And hell I checked the other day and my little crappy TV-DVD-VHS combi that I've had for 4 years can play NTSC discs perfectly.

Mohawk52 said:
If it comes that I am priced out of watching it, I'll just concentrate on reading it on paper.
I wouldn't give paper that long, either. Probably longer than cheap DVDs, but not more than a few years.

ilmaestro said:
Mohawk52 said:
If it comes that I am priced out of watching it, I'll just concentrate on reading it on paper.
I wouldn't give paper that long, either. Probably longer than cheap DVDs, but not more than a few years.

I think I commented on this earlier.

There's a way to go before print publishing is dead. As in, more than a decade. Don't believe what anyone else tells you about that.

Digital comics publishing needs to be standardised, and publishing as an industry needs for the current mad scrabbling to get ANY kind of digital platform going to subside before it's embraced as the way to read stuff.

There are a great deal of factually incorrect assumptions floating around about this stuff. If you look at the actual sales fgures and circulation of digital comics, it's quite sobering. Even the bigger publishers aren't hitting the kinds of numbers you might expect them to.

Considering the recent controversy surrounding Apple, Penguin, Hachette etc in regards to eBook pricing (with the companies setting the prices as opposed to retailers, allowing them to control how much ebooks cost more), I doubt eBooks will take over print any time soon, as I have to wonder how the majority of book stores would feel about having the publisher throw a set price on them.

Personally, I don't want them to. I like holding a physical book.

@HdE - Print publishing in some form, absolutely, "more than" more than a decade I would say, perhaps it will still exist until the end of my lifetime.

No-one really tells me anything about it, I tend to draw my own conclusions, and I stand by the one I have drawn there - that it will be a matter of a handful of years at most that the printed English language manga industry survives past the point at which we are no longer able to buy "cheap" anime and people are being "priced out" of it by Japanese distributors trying to sell directly world wide.

I think you thought I was making a far more general statement?

Joshawott said:
Considering the recent controversy surrounding Apple, Penguin, Hachette etc in regards to eBook pricing (with the companies setting the prices as opposed to retailers, allowing them to control how much ebooks cost more), I doubt eBooks will take over print any time soon and personally, I don't want them to. I like holding a physical book.
Actually that will only drive the uptake of eBooks even more quickly, since prices will now drop. And believe me, the "feeling" that people have towards books in that manner is generally a fallacy. I thought the same thing for a long time - I was wrong. I still buy some physical books, but it is a fairly lunatic-level practice these days, all things told.

edit: hmm, that sounds really aggressive, sorry. Although I can't think of a more accurate way to word it. And fwiw, I guess I do still prefer paper for manga specifically (I use Marvel's online stuff, but that is more an issue of cost than preference).

I will be intrigued to see what I do when/if Kindle finally gets going in Japan. It would make sense to use it for LNs (outside of my favorite few series), but it would be Sad Times to miss out on the artwork until they make a decent, affordable color Kindle.

They also let slip (believe this was on Facebook but I read it via TFP) that it was possible someone might grab the repeatedly delayed Ikkitousen GG from them, though they're hanging onto the second series of Squid Girl and trying to keep Bakuman coming. I would have thought their fanservice titles would have been particularly lucrative, too, so it's not looking good.

Anyway, if MB is in trouble the alternative was no QB at all, so I'm glad Sentai has it and they'll probably do a blu at the outset to match my existing collection. Score.

R

fabricatedlunatic said:
The final nail in Media Blasters' anime coffin? I thought QB was one of their better selling titles, and they said they were dubbing more of it.
Good. Live by the crappy titty anime, die by the crappy titty anime.

May they never darken my door again, I have a better man in Discoteck.

ConanThe3rd said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
The final nail in Media Blasters' anime coffin? I thought QB was one of their better selling titles, and they said they were dubbing more of it.

So you don't like stuff like Queens Blade. We get it. Doesn't mean the rest of use hate it.

Since Sentai have the next part of QB do you want them to close now? What about Funimation who released Masters of Martial Hearts and Sekirei?

ConanThe3rd said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

Yes, good riddance to the English language Blu-ray releases of those notorious titty shows Twelve Kingdoms and Moribito.

Imagine if we all wished ill on everyone who released something not to our tastes occasionally :D

Media Blasters have released some of my favourite shows ever in their time, even looking past their awesome fanservice titles. Without them, I might not have been able to grab Rurouni Kenshin, Berserk, 12 Kingdoms and Seirei No Moribito. Respect where it's due.

R

Rui said:
Imagine if we all wished ill on everyone who released something not to our tastes occasionally :D

Media Blasters have released some of my favourite shows ever in their time, even looking past their awesome fanservice titles. Without them, I might not have been able to grab Rurouni Kenshin, Berserk, 12 Kingdoms and Seirei No Moribito. Respect where it's due.

R

I have also purchased and enjoyed the above shows. I am hoping that I will enjoy Squid Girl when I can get the blu-ray (it is on backorder at Planetaxel).

Squid Girl is weird, I like it well enough (albeit not enough to put it in the same sentence as those others) but some of my friends have a crazy level of affection for it. When I played it at one of our gatherings they wouldn't stop until they had watched every single episode I had. Unfortunately I have the DVD version since I was tricked by the silly release pattern >_>;

R

Unless you're a die-hard blu-ray fanatic, I wouldn't think Squid Girl is a series that really demands to be seen in high definition.

Just out of curiosity, does the MB release have all the squid puns in its translation?

ilmaestro said:
@HdE - Print publishing in some form, absolutely, "more than" more than a decade I would say, perhaps it will still exist until the end of my lifetime.

No-one really tells me anything about it, I tend to draw my own conclusions, and I stand by the one I have drawn there - that it will be a matter of a handful of years at most that the printed English language manga industry survives past the point at which we are no longer able to buy "cheap" anime and people are being "priced out" of it by Japanese distributors trying to sell directly world wide.

I think you thought I was making a far more general statement?

Not really - I just think that with regard to that particular discussion, it's a good idea to look at things in the most general way possible.

Digital comics publishing is a subject of great interest to me - partly because working in comic is slowly but surely becoming a source regular income for me, and digital is regarded by many as the future.

Thing is, I've been privy to a few discussions regarding circulations, readership, accessibility and all that marketing jazz. I'd best not repeat any specifics for fear of blabbing something somebody would rather I hadn't.

But I think you're correct where manga is concerned. Where entertainment is concerned, anything that could be considered 'niche' is certainly being squeezed. Such are the economic times, unfortunately.

My bigger concern is, there's STILL not a properly established universal standard for reading comics electronically. Sure there are some popular platforms like Comixology, but they all have their own particular quirks and drawbacks. I think it's entirely possible that those issues - unless they're worked out - could actually account for a prolonged lifespan for print media.

Of course, how it would affect manga is anyone's guess right now. All I can tell you is that niche material seems to suffer with regard to digital sales.

With digital comics, I remember that Vertical mentioned they couldn't put much out on Kindle because of issues with the file sizes needed for decent looking manga versus the file sizes Amazon requires them to use. I assume over time these logistics will be smoothed out, especially as networks improve and Amazon eases up, but for now it's just punitive for them to do it for longer titles. Indeed when I bought my Kindle I was disappointed that I couldn't get much in the way of manga for it other than BL one shots.

Viz's SJ app for iOS was pretty decent when I tested it (surprisingly so, as I hadn't expected to be able to read it so easily on a phone screen). I'd be happy buying a subscription to that for my other half... if they allowed people in this country to do so. Regioning once again rears its ugly head with digital comics, and that's why I'm sticking with paper for now :/

VoxPhantom said:
Just out of curiosity, does the MB release have all the squid puns in its translation?

Yep, it kept the crazy squid subs :D

R

ConanThe3rd said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

Is there any company that you actually don't want to die?

Manga (pretty much daily), MVM, Beez, AOD, Crunchyroll, Viz, Sentai, ADV, Media Blasters [insert other Japanese/NA/Europe Companies]...None were safe from the wrath...

News Just In: Discotek, Funination and Kaze are safe from the wrath...for now!

Lets hope MB bounce back, I've not delved ino their catalogue yet but they definitely have some decent titles in their catalogue!

Back