The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Terraformars is an interesting one, nobody can quite work out why it's been handed a second season. Apparently it sold an average of 1.1k per volume, and didn't boost manga sales that much. So everyone's assuming they're trying to hype up the live action film, but it seems like an incredibly expensive and incredibly niche promo tool.

While I was very disappointed by how they handled the OVAs and the first couple of episodes, I did enjoy the later episodes. I guess a second season can't hurt since I guess the show got better views once the uncensored version was finally released on CR etc. I'm up for watching for the second season. I should really get more TF volumes... (I waited so that the manga surpasses the anime in English).

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why that Prison School stuff would cause any problems, censorship wise. There's plenty of similar material in other shows that do fine. I guess I can't say for sure without seeing the actual show though.

The material being fine wouldn't necessarily stop the BBFC demanding cuts though, they are kind of irrational. I'd hope they wouldn't though, it just seems to depend on who ends up getting to see the show for them.

Smeelia said:
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why that Prison School stuff would cause any problems, censorship wise. There's plenty of similar material in other shows that do fine. I guess I can't say for sure without seeing the actual show though.

The material being fine wouldn't necessarily stop the BBFC demanding cuts though, they are kind of irrational. I'd hope they wouldn't though, it just seems to depend on who ends up getting to see the show for them.

Tonally the show reminds me of Inbetweeners and Workaholics style comedy. Despite the impression people are giving, it's not that far removed from Western comedy, just with a lot more nudity than either of those. It's very crude and quite childish, but in it's own way perhaps kind of smart...

The problem the BBFC may have would not be the content, but the age of those involved in the content. The only character to be given an age is 15, but it hasn't been mentioned in the show, so maybe they'd get away with it, but given the fact "School" is in the title, probably not...

We're excited to announce that we will be launching Zavvi Exclusive Steelbooks for Studio Ghibli classics: Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service. (Release date and artwork TBC.)
Nice, will double dip :)

To watch Mononoke again for the first time, you've got an incredible film ahead of you. I own all the Ghibli films on multiple formats (LD/DVD/BD) and actually own duplicates of many of the Blu-rays (UK and Japanese imports) but I'm still going to buy these Steelbooks. Studio Ghibli are phenomenal, nobody comes close in the animation industry (Japanese or otherwise). Mononoke itself is an incredible film but funnily enough not my favorite.

I've only ever actually seen 2 Ghibli films, Spirited Away and Totoro. They've always been films I've meant to watch but never really got around to. I guess these new steelbooks gives me an ample chance for these two.

qaiz said:
To watch Mononoke again for the first time, you've got an incredible film ahead of you. I own all the Ghibli films on multiple formats (LD/DVD/BD) and actually own duplicates of many of the Blu-rays (UK and Japanese imports) but I'm still going to buy these Steelbooks. Studio Ghibli are phenomenal, nobody comes close in the animation industry (Japanese or otherwise). Mononoke itself is an incredible film but funnily enough not my favorite.

You're Ghibli crazy! :eek: I'm excited to get the Steelbooks, though. They look great next to one another. :)

I like Mononoke, too, but my favourite is Only Yesterday. Interested to know what yours is, now. :p

I'd happily double dip on Princess Mononoke for the 400-minute making of documentary. Sadly, I don't think that's ever going to get an English subbed release but I'm sure it would be fascinating. I wonder if a fansub group would take a commission? :p

I'll double dip for Ghibli steelbooks. Spotted a few studio canal zavvi exclusive steelbooks... I wonder if a deal was done...

Mononoke is probably my fav. Howl's moving castle is probably up there. Watched it once under the influence of hallucinogens and it was absolutely terrifying... that black colour on the door... (Long time ago... I no longer partake in such things).

msgeek said:
I'll double dip for Ghibli steelbooks. Spotted a few studio canal zavvi exclusive steelbooks... I wonder if a deal was done...

Mononoke is probably my fav. Howl's moving castle is probably up there. Watched it once under the influence of hallucinogenics and it was absolutely terrifying... that black colour on the door... (Long time ago... I no longer partake in such things).
That would be a, experience...

Jatz said:
You're Ghibli crazy! :eek: I'm excited to get the Steelbooks, though. They look great next to one another. :)

I like Mononoke, too, but my favourite is Only Yesterday. Interested to know what yours is, now. :p

Snap, my favorite is Only Yesterday too :) I think Whisper of the Heart is close behind that and I'd say both Porco Rosso and Grave of the Fireflies are also in that upper echelon of Ghibli films in my opinion. I am Ghibli crazy, but I don't see that as a bad thing at all haha, I love them to bits. Most of my anime collection is pretty much Ghibli, if not over half of it is Ghibli with various duplicates and imports. I will say that my passion for Ghibli has sullied everything else as I've often become more harsh with anime, high standards and all that. But again, don't see that as a bad thing!

IncendiaryLemon said:
I've only ever actually seen 2 Ghibli films, Spirited Away and Totoro. They've always been films I've meant to watch but never really got around to. I guess these new steelbooks gives me an ample chance for these two.

I like those two but they're no where near my favorites. You've got a lot of catching up to do :thumb:

qaiz said:
Snap, my favorite is Only Yesterday too :) I think Whisper of the Heart is close behind that and I'd say both Porco Rosso and Grave of the Fireflies are also in that upper echelon of Ghibli films in my opinion. I am Ghibli crazy, but I don't see that as a bad thing at all haha, I love them to bits. Most of my anime collection is pretty much Ghibli, if not over half of it is Ghibli with various duplicates and imports. I will say that my passion for Ghibli has sullied everything else as I've often become more harsh with anime, high standards and all that. But again, don't see that as a bad thing!

x3CU2lH.gif

Glad to find another Only Yesterday fan. I'm guessing you're excited by the news of a potential blu ray release for it. :)

I have Whisper of the Heart as a close second, too! I have Arrietty after them, though. :p Have you posted your collection on here? I can imagine you having a few dozen Ghibli sets, then. :eek: I'm critical with a lot of series too. I know your pain. :lol:

Nichijou gifs... Mesmerising...

I'm not sure I could really choose between Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart, probably depends on my mood at the time as to which is my favourite.

I don't hear people talk about My Neighbours the Yamadas much. I guess it's a particularly unusual one but I like it a lot.

Anyway, I have three of the previous steelbooks (Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicaa). They're okay but I don't know if I'm a steelbook fan.

Back