The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Nichijou is still top of my list (ideally a Blu-ray release). I really like some of the other suggestions here though (especially Natsume's Book of Friends, that's a nice thought).

Newer stuff wise, I'd agree with Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. I'd also really like to see some kind of special edition of Shirobako at some point, though I guess that might actually happen with Sentai.

I guess that'd cover most/all of the announcements, not that it's very likely this is what they'd be.

I mean I guess I'll throw mine into the mix too, I'd love to see Blu-ray releases of these by anyone really: The Big O, Giant Robo, Gunbuster, Angel's Egg and Memories since siren visual are releasing that. I mean SDF Macross/DYRL would be great too *grumble*

It's easy to see that I like Mecha :!:

I recently watched Do You Remember Love for the first time and I have to say, the climactic battle sequence soundtracked by the film's title song is one of the most incredible pieces of animation I've ever seen in my life - it's hard to believe it was completely hand-drawn, back in the mid 80s. I'd pay serious bucks if it ever came out in the UK on Blu Ray.

Totally agree re. Gunbuster too - would love to see that out here as another early Gainax work, following on from the release of Nadia.

Memories is incredible too - the Magnetic Rose segment alone is crying out for a Blu Ray release.

Lutga said:
I recently watched Do You Remember Love for the first time and I have to say, the climactic battle sequence soundtracked by the film's title song is one of the most incredible pieces of animation I've ever seen in my life - it's hard to believe it was completely hand-drawn, back in the mid 80s. I'd pay serious bucks if it ever came out in the UK on Blu Ray.

Totally agree re. Gunbuster too - would love to see that out here as another early Gainax work, following on from the release of Nadia.

Memories is incredible too - the Magnetic Rose segment alone is crying out for a Blu Ray release.

Glad that you agree, I did a little review for DYRL here in the review thread if anyone is interested and want to give it a watch, and as you can imagine I'm head over heels for that film. The soundtrack, the characters, its all just phenomenal and a great love letter to the impeccable series that everyone should without a doubt watch.

Also that's a good point, a few early Gainax releases have finally made their way here with Royal Space Force and Nadia and with the successful Kickstarter for Otaku no Video, lets hope that Gunbuster makes it way to the top :p

I loved Magnetic Rose to bits, but both Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder were also very very enjoyable to say the least. The editing and the way shots were strung together for Cannon Fodder had me enthralled and the hilarity of Stink Bomb had me in stitches. Just a great collection and I can't wait for Robot Carnival to come out on DVD this September as its another masterpiece. I'm going to pick up the AUS BD release for Memories unless anyone else wants to bring it over *wink* :wink:

Man...so much great stuff without an audience waiting to be discovered and loved, it makes me really sad :(

Latest BBFC Updates:
Dragon Ball Z Kai (Season 1)
Overall: 12
Disc 1 [moderate fantasy violence - 12]
Disc 2 [mild fantasy violence - PG]
Disc 3 [moderate fantasy violence - 12]
Disc 4 [moderate violence - 12]

Knights of Sidonia (Season 1)
Overall: 15
Eps. 01-04 [strong violence, bloody images, nudity - 15]
Eps. 05-08 [strong violence, nudity - 15]
Eps. 09 [mild threat - PG]
Eps. 10-12 [moderate threat, injury detail, nudity - 12]

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions (Season 1)
Disc 1 [moderate sex references - 12]
Disc 2 [moderate sex references - 12]

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Part 1)
Eps. 01-06 [strong bloody violence, nudity, sex references - 15]
Eps. 07-08 [strong violence, sexual threat, sexualised images - 15]
Eps. 09-12 [moderate bad language, moderate fantasy violence, occasional gory moments - 12]

Naruto Shippuden (Box 21)
Disc 1 [moderate fantasy violence - 12]
Disc 2 [moderate fantasy violence - 12]

One Piece (Collection 11)
Disc 1 [moderate violence - 12]
Disc 2 [moderate violence - 12]
Disc 3 [moderate violence - 12]
Disc 4 [moderate violence - 12]

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1: The Beginnings
Film [implied strong language, moderate threat, violence, suicide references - 12]

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 2: Eternal
Film [moderate fantasy violence, occasional bloody moments - 12]

Samurai Bride
Disc 1 [strong sex references, sexualised nudity - 15]
Disc 2 [strong sex references, sexualised nudity - 15]

anime_andrew said:
What titles would excite you :3?
Anything from my long time "never been licensed anywhere" wishlist; Mahoraba, Night Wizard, Magipoka, Gigantic Formula, Nijuu Mensou...
Specifically for the UK: Dennou Coil. I've already double-dipped, but a UK license would make me very happy, especially BD since there were only DVDs at the time I imported it from Japan and Australia is DVD-only.

Just Passing Through said:
msgeek said:
Hmmm do Manga still have rights to the original FMA...? Could we be getting a UE off the back of the funi BR release?
Manga never had the rights to FMA. It was an MVM license until volume 8, then Funimation pulled their deal, and the license transferred to Revelation. [...]
I'd guess right now that no one has FMA in the UK.
It's always been a FUNimation license and still is; MVM and Revelation distributed it for them.
Why Manga has never sub-licensed FMA or any of the shows that pre-date their relationship with FUNi, I do not know.

Smeelia said:
Nichijou is still top of my list (ideally a Blu-ray release). I really like some of the other suggestions here though (especially Natsume's Book of Friends, that's a nice thought).

Newer stuff wise, I'd agree with Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. I'd also really like to see some kind of special edition of Shirobako at some point, though I guess that might actually happen with Sentai.

I guess that'd cover most/all of the announcements, not that it's very likely this is what they'd be.

Mah Dude!
How did I forget Shirobako, I'd be all over a special release of that show, modern day classic I tell ya.

Weird how the BBFC rated the Puella Magi Madoka Magica television anime as a 15, but gave the recap movies a 12.

In regards to the license speculation, if Anime Limited announces that they will be releasing Shirobako in Collector's Edition volumes featuring production artwork from both the series itself and the in-universe shows, I will be the happiest person in the world. Andrew, please tell me you have Shirobako - PLEASE!

I'd also really appreciate if someone announces Your Lie In April and is able to include the original soundtrack in the release.

I'd also be very up for Shirobako.

Also, regarding the BBFC for Madoka, IIRC only the second disc was a 15, the other 2 were 12, and again, going from memory, I think the 2nd disc was a 15 due to Language (Probably Kyouko) so it's possible that either the dub script change had less swearing or there is simply less swearing due to the scenes she swears in being cut from the recap film.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'd also be very up for Shirobako.

Also, regarding the BBFC for Madoka, IIRC only the second disc was a 15, the other 2 were 12, and again, going from memory, I think the 2nd disc was a 15 due to Language (Probably Kyouko) so it's possible that either the dub script change had less swearing or there is simply less swearing due to the scenes she swears in being cut from the recap film.

When I emailed the BBFC querying K-ON! The Movie's 12 certificate, the answer I received was actually incredibly in-depth. I imagine that if they were contacted, they would probably give a rather detailed comparison. You are right though in that the second disc was rated a 15 for "brief strong language", as well as for "nudity" (Off the top of my head, I think Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie #2: Eternal might have actually changed the scene where Madoka makes her wish and says farewell to Homura in space, to show less nudity?). I can't find my blu-ray player's remote, so I can't confirm though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back