The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ayase said:
Jeremy_Graves said:
Thought you guys might like to know that Gundam Origin I is available for streaming now: http://blog.alltheanime.com/gundam-the- ... e-limited/
It's nice that people have the option, but not for me. I said I wasn't interested in DTO and I started DTO (the low low prices convinced me), I swore I wouldn't stream and I stream, but I think pay to rent is my final, absolute, will not cross line (at least until I have a full HD projector and a 100+ inch screen and can justify it as being much the same as visiting the cimema).

However, I do hope Anime Limited and Gundam have a long and prosperous relationship ahead...

Just to throw this out there, we know the streaming option isn't ideal for everyone but do take into account that Gundam The Origin itself is a unique title given how it's being distributed to fans simultaneously worldwide (and that's with an English dub too.) As you said being able to stream it is a nice option for those who want to. But if it's any help I will say we are working to see if a DTO version might be an option in the future - though as things stand I don't know if it will be.

Jeremy_Graves said:
ayase said:
Jeremy_Graves said:
Thought you guys might like to know that Gundam Origin I is available for streaming now: http://blog.alltheanime.com/gundam-the- ... e-limited/
It's nice that people have the option, but not for me. I said I wasn't interested in DTO and I started DTO (the low low prices convinced me), I swore I wouldn't stream and I stream, but I think pay to rent is my final, absolute, will not cross line (at least until I have a full HD projector and a 100+ inch screen and can justify it as being much the same as visiting the cimema).

However, I do hope Anime Limited and Gundam have a long and prosperous relationship ahead...

Just to throw this out there, we know the streaming option isn't ideal for everyone but do take into account that Gundam The Origin itself is a unique title given how it's being distributed to fans simultaneously worldwide (and that's with an English dub too.) As you said being able to stream it is a nice option for those who want to. But if it's any help I will say we are working to see if a DTO version might be an option in the future - though as things stand I don't know if it will be.
Thanks for letting us know Jeremy - AL already have a good record with Gundam in my eyes as your DTO release of Reconguista in G is incredible value really - I wouldn't expect a premium release like Origin to come that cheap but like I say, pay to rent just isn't for me. I guess I'll wait and see what happens further down the line.

Sad news as it was a great show - no surprises really though, felt like one of those shows that people loved as it was streaming but forgot about very quickly afterward - there certainly didn't seem to be much hype around a second season as far as I could see.

I had no idea there was even a second season of Gargantia being mooted.

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is EXCELLENT. I enjoyed literally every moment of it (and the line 'go to hell, tin can' has to go down as one of the ALL TIME punch-the-air moments in anime!) Sad that this news kills any hope of hearing Matt Mercer's fantastic Chamber again.

On the other, I do feel that maybe what's out there is enough. I'd hate to see a Psycho Pass type situation where the first season is real A+ quality, and the follow up appears to leave people thinking 'what was the point of that?'

BUT, earnest plea to UK distributors: SOMEBODY PICK UP THE OVAS! PUH-LEEEEAAAASE!

I really, really love his show. Anybody with an eye for mecha shows or broad character and plot driven sci fi should snap it up if they haven't already.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the OVAs picked up over here.

From what I gather, the show sold reasonably well - but suppose it fell into that difficult time period where Manga were literally just on the brink of Jerome etc. leaving, and AoT was out at the same time so perhaps slightly overshadowed it.

But yeah, I felt it kind of told the story it needed to within its initial run. Agreed, re. above - nobody wants a show to end up outstaying its welcome.

Kodansha Comics have announced some news:
- Kotaro Sekine's Ninja Slayer Kills has been licensed.
- Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu (Itō Junji no Neko Nikki Yon & Mū) has been licensed.
- Satoru Matsuba's Devil Survivor has been licensed.
- Sou Tobita's Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Side P3 has been licensed.
- Mizunomoto's Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Side P4 has been licensed.
- Vinland Saga omnibus volumes 6 and 7 will go as planned. Kodansha confirmed their license goes up to omnibus 7 (volumes 13 and 14) and further volumes will depend on sales.
- Attack on Titan volume 16 will receive a special edition release with a set of playing cards.

In anime website-related news, Fandom Post suffered a DDoS attack but the main site is now back up. However the forum area won't be up for a little while, a fix is being planned tomorrow.

Yen Press will be releasing a bunch of manga in English! HOLY MOLY.

- Wataru Watanabe's Yowamushi Pedal - To be released as a 2-in-1 omnibus edition
- Izumi Tsubaki's Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
- Akira Hagio's Sakura no Himegoto
- Tsuyoshi Watanabe's Dragon's Rioting
- Olympus Knights and Pinakes' Aldnoah.Zero Season One

The following will be digital only unfortunately:

- Satsuki Yoshino's Handa-Kun (a spinoff of Yoshino's Barakamon, which Yen Press also licensed)
- Ato Sakurai's Today's Kerberos
- Dan Ichikawa's Shut-In Shoutarou Kominami Takes on the World
- Karino Takatsu's Servant X Service
- Tsumuji Yoshimura's Unknown
- Chisaki Kanai's When a Magician's Pupil Smiles
- Higasa Akai's The Royal Tutor
- Hanjiro Tsukioka and Hikaru Tanaka's Scarlet Empire

Lutga said:
Agreed, re. above - nobody wants a show to end up outstaying its welcome.

My point exactly. And after watching the TERRIBLE first episode of Ghost In The Shell: Arise, I'm actually wishing more studios would take this to heart.

HdE said:
I had no idea there was even a second season of Gargantia being mooted.

And that's most likely because no one involved in the project had clearly said that there was going to be a 2nd season prior to this announcement, which I also find quite strange. Why announce that you were planning to make a 2nd season, but now you're not going to? Wouldn't it create a lot less flak by just saying that a new novel will be published in the summer of 2015?

While it might just be wishful thinking on my part, I can't help to shake off the feeling that this might be a PR trick to create some buzz around the new entry in the Gargantia series. Whether that's for the novel or for the prospect of adapting the novel into an anime later on I can't say...

BUT, earnest plea to UK distributors: SOMEBODY PICK UP THE OVAS! PUH-LEEEEAAAASE!

While I think the chances of this happening are slim, since Viz would first have to pick it up most likely, I could recommend getting the Japanese Blu-ray Box for the OVAs as they do come with English subtitles! Not to mention they look far better in the video quality department than the Viz release.

A supportive purchase of the Japanese Blu-rays might help with the producers changing their minds into eventually making an anime of the new novel too ( ^▽^).

DesuDayo said:
Not to mention they look far better in the video quality department than the Viz release.
Any other release would probably look better than the Viz release. I posted some screenshot comparisons on Bluray.com a while back comparing a fansubbed BDrip to Viz's release, and it looks like it was encoded for a stream rather than a Bluray release. The picture is so soft and washed out with very obvious compression artifacting. The same fools who did the Sailor Moon release also handled Gargantia, which probably explains why it looks like garbage. Someone else reported that they also screwed up the Japanese audio levels and the subtitles...

DesuDayo said:
While I think the chances of this happening are slim, since Viz would first have to pick it up most likely, I could recommend getting the Japanese Blu-ray Box for the OVAs as they do come with English subtitles! Not to mention they look far better in the video quality department than the Viz release.

A supportive purchase of the Japanese Blu-rays might help with the producers changing their minds into eventually making an anime of the new novel too ( ^▽^).

Nice idea. But I'm not paying Japanese prices for anything. End of.

Quite right.
ypDwEzb.jpg

Back