The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Depends what your tastes are I guess, from my standpoint I agree that the majority of school-based slice of life shows are becoming quite tiresome. I'm beginning to find it difficult to differentiate between characters in different shows, the vast majority just aren't for me.

That being said, shows that break the mould somewhat, or are exceptional in other ways can still break the monotony I find in the setting every now and then.

There are good and bad examples of every sub-genre of anime, from slice of life to sci-fi - it's the variety that makes the medium so good.

I do like how different art styles can attract or repel you to shows regardless of genre though - for example, I enjoyed Peach Girl as a 'school' anime but really dislike the art style.

I don't like any Gundam type animes other than Escaflowne. Only spacey ones I've seen are Bebop & Outlaw Star but I agree I'm getting bored of Slice of Life and Harem ones but they seem to be all that's out nowadays. AoT was the last one I properly got into and hold aside animes like Baccano, Berserk, Black Butler, FMA etc. Just something about them, something I could get my teeth into where the characters were interesting and likeable. As Anton says in Slice of Life they all seem to be the same now. No individuality.

-Danielle- said:
I don't like any Gundam type animes other than Escaflowne. Only spacey ones I've seen are Bebop & Outlaw Star but I agree I'm getting bored of Slice of Life and Harem ones but they seem to be all that's out nowadays. AoT was the last one I properly got into and hold aside animes like Baccano, Berserk, Black Butler, FMA etc. Just something about them, something I could get my teeth into where the characters were interesting and likeable. As Anton says in Slice of Life they all seem to be the same now. No individuality.

It's like your the female version of me, haha

I haven't checked out Black Butler, so I'll add it to my list, another reason to get Netflix.

Btw I wouldn't call myself a typical anime fan. I don't do a lot of the shows out there and wait for things Danielle mentioned but I'd add Death Note, Psycho Pass & Vampire Hunter D (I want more D). I guess I go for the more serious & violent stuff. If it's clever aswell then Jackpot.

Dan said:
-Danielle- said:

It's like your the female version of me, haha

I haven't checked out Black Butler, so I'll add it to my list, another reason to get Netflix.

Btw I wouldn't call myself a typical anime fan. I don't do a lot of the shows out there and wait for things Danielle mentioned but I'd add Death Note, Psycho Pass & Vampire Hunter D (I want more D). I guess I go for the more serious & violent stuff. If it's clever aswell then Jackpot.

Black Butler is well worth checking out, especially if you're British. I know the overall look and feel of the show put me off it for a while (I thought it was going to be like Ouran, which I didn't really enjoy) - but it's a properly chilling Victorian tale, and probably has one of the best English dubs out there (they do the British accents and everything).

Eh. I thought it was more camp than chilling, to be perfectly honest. There are a couple of decent moments of horror in it, but having gone into it expecting a kind of poor-man's Hellsing, I was gravely disappointed.

Lutga said:
Joshawott said:

I swear, if this gets as big as Pokemon got back in the day, I sort of await with equal nervousness and excitement to see if it kickstarts a second anime bubble...
I'm personally very excited about Yo-Kai Watch - from both the perspectives of someone who writes about video games, as well as someone who writes about anime. If the franchise achieves even 10% of the success it currently has in Japan, then it will still be pretty big.

For reference, last year Bandai announced that the property beat Gundam's multiple decade record of being their highest selling toy franchise, while the games have sold over 7 million units since the series' debut in 2013 and last year's movie had the highest grossing opening of any Japanese movie since at least the year 2000.

NormanicGrav said:
Joshawott said:

Wait a minute. I'm probably wrong but does this mean KAZE is releasing the show then since that tweet is from the European branch? and we all know KAZE is Viz Media Europe.
Nothing has been said in regards to a home video release, but I'd say it's highly likely that Kazé UK will be distributing the series. That in turn, could be a massive win for Manga Entertainment UK.

Of course, there is always the chance that Yo-Kai Watch could not take off and completely flop in the west, but we'll have to wait and see.

Honestly, If I was Viz Europe I'd just shove it down Kix's throat (and maybe give Chart Show TV incentive to get Kix on more platforms) and let them do the rest.

Then again, If I was Viz Europe I'd have Food Wars out on Ebook already so...

NormanicGrav said:
Wait a minute. I'm probably wrong but does this mean KAZE is releasing the show then since that tweet is from the European branch? and we all know KAZE is Viz Media Europe.
Kaze is part of the VME Group, specifically their French arm. VME also includes VM Switzerland and AV Visionen in Germany. We had a similar announcement about Terraformars last season. They also have Tenkai Knights for example, and they detail who's doing what where on that page (which includes Kaze in France).

Back