The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I'm shocked (in a good way!) that the Discotek announcement also includes Yowamushi Pedal. Some really solid titles in there!

R

NormanicGrav said:
Food Wars! is airing in April 2015

Next Naruto Shippuden Arc airs in January 2015

---------

From ANN:
The new issues of Neo and MyM magazine report the following:

Anime Limited
The label will provisionally release Gekijō-ban Tiger & Bunny -The Rising- (Blu-ray, DVD) 'early' in 2015 - this is the feature film sequel to the Tiger & Bunny series. Short Peace (the four short films) is also planned for Q1.

Mai Mai Miracle is planned for Q2, along with a Blu-ray and DVD of Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (pictured right); a Blu-ray and DVD of Samurai Flamenco; A Letter to Momo; the Blu-ray edition of Baccano!; and a "Shinkai Collection," which Neo describes as 'the combined works of director Makoto Shinkai in one set.'

Tokyo Ghoul (Blu-ray, DVD) will follow in Q3, along with a Collectors Edition of Full Metal Panic!, plus PSYCHIC SCHOOL WARS.

Q4 will see Terror in Resonance (Blu-ray, DVD), along with a Blu-ray 'Ultimate Edition' release of Vision of Escaflowne (pictured left); this will follow the lines of the Gurren Lagaan Ultimate Edition.

Andrew Partridge of Anime Limited also referred in Neo to 'a yet to be announced film that's out of the usual and a shorts series that blew us away online.'

MVM
MVM will release tsuritama (pictured right) as a complete DVD collection in March. ef: a tale of memories and ef: a tale of melodies will appear as a single set on March 9.

No Game, No Life will be on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Manga Entertainment
Manga Entertainment will release the final two episodes of Hellsing Ultimate on Blu-ray and DVD, date unconfirmed.

Live-Action
Warner Home Video will release the live-action film version of Black Butler on February 23, both as a DVD and a Blu-ray steelbook.

The live-action Tokyo Tribe, directed by Sion Sono, will be released by Eureka in spring.

The World of Kanako, a live-action film which includes animation by Studio 4c (director Tetsuya Nakashima), will be released by Third Window in summer.

"...and a shorts series that blew us away online"

I wonder what this could be. The only current shorts series I'm enjoying are those from the Animator Expo.

Bloody Anime Limited, taking all my dolla.

Is that Shinkai Collection the one everyones waiting for & not the twinpack? If so I'm very interested in learning what they have in the collection, given KAZE have Journey & Manga 5cm's.

Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei and Tenchi Muyo are all titles we're constantly looking to get back. Lain and Ergo Proxy are a high possibility for BD as well, but the trouble with doing titles that have been available on BD for import for ages, tends to affect our sales - Samurai Champloo was just recently released on BD but hasn't fared particularly well. Still, we're actively chasing them and hopefully might have news come May Comic Con.

MVM said:
Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei and Tenchi Muyo are all titles we're constantly looking to get back. Lain and Ergo Proxy are a high possibility for BD as well, but the trouble with doing titles that have been available on BD for import for ages, tends to affect our sales - Samurai Champloo was just recently released on BD but hasn't fared particularly well. Still, we're actively chasing them and hopefully might have news come May Comic Con.

Champloo was Region AB from the US and cheap to import.

Ergo Proxy hasn't had a Western Blu-ray release yet, while Lain is Region A from the US and more expensive Region B from AU, and Tenchi is Region A from US only at this point, so they should fare better in the UK if only for that reason. Then again, Champloo is the most popular of those titles...

I agree with Just Passing Through.

Samurai Champloo has been out for ages in the states, and can be picked up for $22 (about £15). I still haven't picked it up, and was waiting for the UK set, but the cheapest I can find it for is £27. Quite a bit more in comparison.

I understand matching that price is simply not how it can work over here, but I imagine this is what attributed to lower sales than expected.

If you import Serial Experiments Lain from Australia, you also run the risk of getting a copy with the out of sync subs. I picked a copy up whilst I was over there on holiday and Sony Home Video haven't answered any of my emails about replacing the disks.

VoxPhantom said:
If you import Serial Experiments Lain from Australia, you also run the risk of getting a copy with the out of sync subs. I picked a copy up whilst I was over there on holiday and Sony Home Video haven't answered any of my emails about replacing the disks.

Try contacting them through The Viewing Lounge on Facebook. That's how I got my discs replaced.

Just Passing Through said:
VoxPhantom said:

Try contacting them through The Viewing Lounge on Facebook. That's how I got my discs replaced.
Will drop them a message in the New Years, cheers for that.

MVM said:

I hope things like Champloo doing badly doesn't put you guys off doing Blu-Ray rescues/re-releases in the future. My personal opinion, but although Champloo is popular, I think to a certain type of anime fan, it doesn't hold as much appeal - plus also, as others have said - it's been available on DVD for a long time (as well as a BR as an import).

I'd like to think, and hope, that a title like Lain that has been OOP in the UK for ages would sell a good deal more.

Just Passing Through said:
Champloo was Region AB from the US and cheap to import.
Other than being half the price, the US release was also pretty visually pleasing when it came to cover/packing/disc design. The UK release looks like a bootleg.
Presentation is a pretty big thing to me, and being brutally honest I find most MVM releases pretty ugly. I actually imported Funi's FLCL months ago purely because it looks a million times better.
That said, MVM have definitely made steps in the right direction recently in that regard.

MVM said:

The american BD release of Lain has very poor picture quality compared to the japanese BD.

If MVM can release something that is superior to the American product. I'm sure people will upgrade. I didn ot buy Lain US BD because of the poor quality,
so if MVM do go through with it and Lain will be a superior BD release, my money will go to MVM.

NormanicGrav said:
Kodansha puts Vinland Saga on suspension temporarily. Rumours say the manga sold poorly and could be dropped.

Honestly though they did release them in 2-in-1 hardback volumes at a high price.

Shame really, I was really interested in picking up the series since I hear it's basically Berserk with a Viking setting.

It's kind of depressing to think stuff like that could still happen in this day and age - I thought we were past the age of incomplete releases.

Though the cynic in me says that anything that doesn't fall easily into the 'moe' look of the moment automatically has the odds stacked against it.

Also - surely in an age of digital releases, going e-book only for some more risky manga should be an option too?

Back