The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

As revealed in the new issue of NEO, out today, MVM will be releasing Log Horizon and Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse in the UK.

Log Horizon as two sets in the Spring (BR and DVD)

Muv Luv in the second half of 2015, in two sets (BR and DVD)

Joshawott said:
Aniplex USA will be importing the Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works blu-ray boxes from Japan....but I think I'll wait for MVM's eventual release.

That price-tag. Ouch.

I think they did something similar with Fate/Zero. I personally don't think it's worth it, especially since I haven't found UBW anywhere near as good as Zero, but that's just me.

Hopefully MVM do a Collector's Box release again. :p

Lutga said:
As revealed in the new issue of NEO, out today, MVM will be releasing Log Horizon in the UK.

Nice!! I was just about to order from TRSI. Now I don't need to. :)
Was a bit concerned that MVM were slowing their Blu-Ray sets down after their Q1 being DVD only besides Monogatari's.

Invisible Crane said:
Joshawott said:
Aniplex USA will be importing the Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works blu-ray boxes from Japan....but I think I'll wait for MVM's eventual release.

That price-tag. Ouch.

It's prices like that which make me wonder if it's worth buying anime BDs anymore
Holy crap is that $400 for 13 episodes?!?! For that price i could get most of FUNi's Q3 AND Q4 releases!! and have enough left to buy me some pocky :p

Wait, MVM having Log Horizon is apparently new? I could have sworn that I heard something about it ages ago.

And yeah, that's Japan prices for you - Aniplex USA's Fate/stay night release is basically just importing the Japanese sets. Did they ever release a cheaper version of Fate/Zero down the line?

Joshawott said:
Wait, MVM having Log Horizon is apparently new? I could have sworn that I heard something about it ages ago.

And yeah, that's Japan prices for you - Aniplex USA's Fate/stay night release is basically just importing the Japanese sets. Did they ever release a cheaper version of Fate/Zero down the line?

They did, but only after the English dub finished. It cost something like $150, and was in two parts as well. I'm almost certain it will be the same with UBW.

Lutga said:
As revealed in the new issue of NEO, out today, MVM will be releasing Log Horizon and Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse in the UK.

Muv Luv in the second half of 2015, in two sets (BR and DVD)

Hmmm, I really did think Manga would have Log, seeing as Jerome was interested in it, I guess his departure put an end to that. Yay for MVM releasing it on BD, now here's to hoping they don't use that lame art work for the sets :S but happy we get it on BD regardless :D

Not heard much on Muv Luv, will look into it seeing as MVM are releasing it on BD.

Joshawott said:
And yeah, that's Japan prices for you - Aniplex USA's Fate/stay night release is basically just importing the Japanese sets.
Well, technically it's them importing the Japanese sets, printing a translation booklet and charging a premium for it. It's far, far cheaper for everyone to just import the BD Boxes via Amazon Japan.
An interesting post from TFP, bearing in mind the list price on Rightstuf is $420.
Here's where we're at as of right now:

LE
Amazon Japan listed MSRP: ¥42,120
Amazon Japan listed discounted price (26% off): ¥31,168
Actual Amazon Japan discounted price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥28,859
Shipping to North America: ¥800
Handling for one Blu-ray disc item: ¥300
Total: ¥29,959
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $251.17

LE w/ Amazon Japan exclusive tapestry
Amazon Japan listed price (full LE MSRP, no discount): ¥42,120
Actual Amazon Japan price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥39,000
Shipping to North America: ¥800
Handling for one Blu-ray disc item: ¥300
Total: ¥40,100
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $336.18

So, really what it comes down to for some folks is this (compared to the LE at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet and a yet-to-be-detailed wall scroll worth an additional $162.81 (give or take) to you?

Alternately, if you really want something to hang on your wall (compared to the LE with tapestry at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet worth an additional $77.80 (give or take) to you?

Personally If Fate/Zero was airing now instead of 2012 I most likely would buy the BD Box. Fate/Stay Night on the other hand? It's pretty unlikely. The series just hasn't really done anything to wow me so far.
I'll be all over the AniplexUSA domestic release for it - although going by Zero we won't see that until late 2016.

Joshawott said:
Did they ever release a cheaper version of Fate/Zero down the line?
It got a domestic release in November & December 2013 respectively as two $150 sets. I thought they were completely worth it - apart from the Dub Audio being bloody Dolby Digital @192kbps. JP track is 24bit LPCM @ 2304kbps for comparison.

Colour me excited for a UK release of Muv-Luv. SUPER mecha designs in that show, and it appears to have had very little exposure in the west. And on blu ray as well? I'm IN!

Also, way too busy to actually do any research on this today, but on the Fate / Unlimited Blade Works thing, I'm compelled to say that $400 for 13 episodes of anime... yeah. Really hope that's not right. Because if it is, it's UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL.

HdE said:
Also, way too busy to actually do any research on this today, but on the Fate / Unlimited Blade Works thing, I'm compelled to say that $400 for 13 episodes of anime... yeah. Really hope that's not right. Because if it is, it's UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL.

We've debated the merits/downside a few times over the years, but essentially the Japanese business model is high priced collectors sets. Experiments with lower price higher volume didn't work out, only a select few want to own a show even if many enjoyed it on TV and thus they target those collectors. It's far removed from our model where people quite happily buy dozens of shows a year.

Rosencrantz said:
HdE said:

We've debated the merits/downside a few times over the years, but essentially the Japanese business model is high priced collectors sets. Experiments with lower price higher volume didn't work out, only a select few want to own a show even if many enjoyed it on TV and thus they target those collectors. It's far removed from our model where people quite happily buy dozens of shows a year.

Ah - this is what I get for reading the forums in a hurry! I managed to gloss over the Japanese import detail. The dollar price tag had me assuming it was the USA price. D'oh!

It's been that kind of day.

Here's a question. Have you guys been considering getting a certain magical index. both seasons are dubbed in america and has good reviews.
Also has there been any news on Shakugan no Shna season 3?

MVM Entertainment
We get asked about this loads of times both online and at conventions. We have looked into it but I think there's a huge licensing situation involved. Also with Shana 3, no news at this time.

What about shows like Higurashi or Log Horizon? Would the same problems exist?

MVM Entertainment
Higurashi is another one - Anything that was released by Geneon USA, even though they no longer exist, the license is still held with them, which is what makes it such a difficult situation. For Log Horizon, I suggest reading the newest issue of NEO...
Source - Facebook

Basically don't nag MVM with regards to titles like A Certain Magical Index, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Higurashi, Serial Experiments Lain, Shakugan no Shana & Tenchi Muyo!

NormanicGrav said:
Basically don't nag MVM with regards to titles like A Certain Magical Index, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Higurashi, Serial Experiments Lain, Shakugan no Shana & Tenchi Muyo!

All interesting titles to be brought up...he says in passing.

AP

anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:

All interesting titles to be brought up...he says in passing.

AP

Is that a hint I going to be double dipping on Index, Railgun, and Shana? Interesting about Shana as it's part licensed already.

I've just placed an order for Index Season 2 (both parts). Should I be cancelling if I prefer to get UK Blu-Rays (particularly if you have licensed them?)

A simple :thumb: emoticon will give me all the hint I need. :D

Back