The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Funimation November 2014 Line up:

Certain Magical Index, A Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete (Hyb) - $49.98 11/18/14
High School DxD New (Season 2) DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Limited Edition - $69.98 - 11/11/14
High School DxD New (Season 2) DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - $64.98 - 11/11/14
One Piece Season 6 DVD Part 1 (Hyb) Uncut - $39.98 - 11/18/14
One Piece Season 6 DVD Part 2 (Hyb) Uncut - $39.98 - 11/18/14
Toriko DVD Collection 2 (Hyb) (Eps 27-50) - $34.98 - 11/4/14
Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei DVD/Blu-ray Complete (Hyb) - S.A.V.E. Edition - $19.98 - 11/4/14

Not up on Shop Funimation so region specs are TBC. Is this it? Surprised.

- Also DxD New is out way earlier than planned so that's even more interesting. Still no sign of the OVAs missing from Season 1 but it looks like they have the Extended Cut for that episode in DxD New.
- B Gata H Kei on S.A.V.E. is depressing, but thankfully fans won't be ripped off given it's also on Blu-ray (unlike Baka & Test & Princess Jellyfish)
- One Piece is now back on track as usual
- A Certain Magical Index doesn't look like it's on Classic Line judging by the listing so that's a first for this year.

Confirmed for December 2014:

Cowboy Bebop DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - 12/16/14
Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - 12/16/14
Cowboy Bebop DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Amazon Exclusive Premium Edition - 12/16/14
Cowboy Bebop DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Funimation Exclusive Premium Edition - 12/16/14
Fairy Tail DVD/Blu-ray Part 14 (Hyb) - 12/2/14

Most likely going to arrive in Later November / December 2014:

Certain Scientific Railgun, A Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete (Hyb)
Certain Magical Index Movie: The Miracle of Endymion, A DVD/Blu-ray (Hyb)
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Complete Collection TBC (???)

Professor Irony said:
Frankly, when it comes to older, longer shows like this, I'd much rather see them available to stream than as a physical item. Good though LoGH may be, I can't see myself watching right through it more than once.

Whereas I'm of the polar opposite opinion. I REALLY want those older shows on my shelf, so I can dust the off and re-watch them as desired. I've developed a real appreciation of old-school anime lately.

Also: I will not stream. Ever.

When I say that, I don't mean that they should not exist on physical media for those who want it, but given the choice between having a legal stream of something and not having it at all due to production costs, I'd rather take the option that does not involve dealing with torrents and bootlegs.

HdE said:
Also: I will not stream. Ever.

May I ask why? I mean, I admit that when I got back into anime, streaming felt odd, I was so used to watching anime and other media on a TV rather than a PC. But in this day and age, it's really helpful, especially with the amount of titles being released. I mean, you can't blind buy everything and they don't really make trailers like they used to - that's how I bought a lot of my anime.

Not only for deciding what shows to pick up once they have finished streaming, for us and distributors, but as Prof said, as a legal alternative to shows that would never get released here - like Gintama or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

No Battle of Gods , how bizarre. Considering Manga releasing it Nov 10th.

I would also expect DBZ S9 on 9/12/14 since that's in line with the 6 week schedule, good news of DxD and ACMI and I was already thinkng on picking up B gata H kei so yeah not a bad month

Baggie_Saiyan said:
No Battle of Gods , how bizarre. Considering Manga releasing it Nov 10th.

I would also expect DBZ S9 on 9/12/14 since that's in line with the 6 week schedule, good news of DxD and ACMI and I was already thinkng on picking up B gata H kei so yeah not a bad month

It's quite possible they're planning on releasing Battle of Gods alongside Season 9.

I can sense DxD New regions being A B | 1 2 4 and Index being A | 1 for obvious reasons (Geneon).

Ooo. I have MangaUK's High School DxD, so I might wait for their inevitable license, so I have matching releases. I'll definitely be looking at picking up that complete first season of Index though.

Hmm.. I'm not convinced with the Base prices so I'm still waiting for Andrew & Co. to put up the new titles on their Anime Limited Shop site.

I'm surprised I haven't brought this up at all, but SHAFT is very well known for altering their shows on Blu-ray (as we all know). But Nisekoi is actually 50% better and 50% worse.

Kira Reviews have done a screenshot comparison with the first BD Volume (Episodes 1 & 2) - Note: Kira Reviews is rather NSFW.
Otakutale have more screenshot comparisons throughout the show - Note: Contains spoilers.

It's also said that the episode with the hot bath has more censorship on the Blu-ray version than the Broadcast version, what?

Here is Aniplex USA's announcement trailer (slightly NSFW + slightly spoilerish):

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested to see what Funimation do with Cowboy Bebop. This retailer-exclusive business is annoying but in Amazon we at least have an accessible retailer.

£60 retail for 8/9 episodes of Kill la Kill? Say it ain't so. I'm guessing the price is due to a combination of packaging and extras and Aniplex being Aniplex but it's a bit too rich for my blood. Probably. We'll see.

It's positively great value compared to HAL, though, which is a movie with a 60-minute runtime and isn't even supposed to be all that great. I'm afraid I have to go Funimation on that one.

NormanicGrav said:
Confirmed for December 2014:

Cowboy Bebop DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - 12/16/14
Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - 12/16/14
Cowboy Bebop DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Amazon Exclusive Premium Edition - 12/16/14
Cowboy Bebop DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Funimation Exclusive Premium Edition - 12/16/14
Fairy Tail DVD/Blu-ray Part 14 (Hyb) - 12/2/14

I'm Glad they're releasing more Fairy Tail as I prefer the Dub over the sub but when are they going to start releasing the collections???

Kurz Weber said:
I'm Glad they're releasing more Fairy Tail as I prefer the Dub over the sub but when are they going to start releasing the collections???

As far as I know, Part 5 and 6 (7 and 8 etc.) need at least a certain amount of time (like 15 months) each before they could bring out another collection. Either December 2014 or January 2015 is a good possibility for Collection 3.

NormanicGrav said:
Certain Magical Index, A Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete (Hyb) - $49.98 11/18/14

High School DxD New (Season 2) DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Limited Edition - $69.98 - 11/11/14
High School DxD New (Season 2) DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - $64.98 - 11/11/14

Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei DVD/Blu-ray Complete (Hyb) - S.A.V.E. Edition - $19.98 - 11/4/14

- Also DxD New is out way earlier than planned so that's even more interesting. Still no sign of the OVAs missing from Season 1 but it looks like they have the Extended Cut for that episode in DxD New.
- B Gata H Kei on S.A.V.E. is depressing, but thankfully fans won't be ripped off given it's also on Blu-ray (unlike Baka & Test & Princess Jellyfish)
- A Certain Magical Index doesn't look like it's on Classic Line judging by the listing so that's a first for this year.

So they can finally do a BD for Index I see. Good news on the early DxD, though I'm wondering about those OVAs aswell now (not sure that recent twitter message necessarily pointed towards them) perhaps a Baka & Test OVA style release?

I agree it's depressing seeing Yamada goto SAVE rather than classics, but at least it'll be available and on BD too.

Rosencrantz said:
So they can finally do a BD for Index I see. Good news on the early DxD, though I'm wondering about those OVAs aswell now (not sure that recent twitter message necessarily pointed towards them) perhaps a Baka & Test OVA style release?

I agree it's depressing seeing Yamada go to SAVE rather than classics, but at least it'll be available and on BD too.

I'm hoping for a return of the OVA Collection set as well (last one was Baka & Test). C'mon High School DxD was probably their biggest seller of 2013 so they have to at least try.

NormanicGrav said:
Rosencrantz said:

I agree it's depressing seeing Yamada go to SAVE rather than classics, but at least it'll be available and on BD too.

I'm hoping for a return of the OVA Collection set as well (last one was Baka & Test). C'mon High School DxD was probably their biggest seller of 2013 so they have to at least try.

Depends on the profit margins I guess, 2 OVAs must cost less to dub and get onto a BD, but also because they are 'premium extras' cost more to licence and might be tied up. As long as they were not tied to Manga releases I'd have hope we'll see them (anything tied to Manga seems to have a 3rd party that's hell bent on not letting us have it)

sniper_samurai said:
Dannielle said:
Looks like Fate/Zero BD Collectors Edition is out of stock on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fate-Zero-Pt-Co ... ywords=mvm

DVD is still available but if you don't have the BD I'd say get it soon, looks like it'll be OOP soon.

They got MVMs last 12 copies of the Fate/Zero collectors bluray, it is definitely out of print now on bd, id you find a copy grab it.

Selling out in less than five months... Won't be surprised if this gets a second print run, or a complete series BD collection a'la Bakemonogatari.

Back