The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Cancellations, delays, epileptic fit-inducing subtitles. UK anime Blu-ray market, you are officially dead to me.

I'll be ordering the Sentai releases of Angel Beats and Mardock Scramble soon.

Mardock Scramble is on time though, right? And we're getting both versions for cheaper than the US version?

I'm annoyed about Angel Beats though...

Welcome to the club! Thankfully, MangaUK's official corporate Twitter account recently condoned importing iPads from the US to save money, so my conscience is completely clean.

(I'll buy a region B player the moment region B gets something region A doesn't already have. Otherwise it's in my interests to let blu-ray die over here so the regioning foolishness stops, permanently.)

R

Rui said:
Welcome to the club! Thankfully, MangaUK's official corporate Twitter account recently condoned importing iPads from the US to save money, so my conscience is completely clean.

(I'll buy a region B player the moment region B gets something region A doesn't already have. Otherwise it's in my interests to let blu-ray die over here so the regioning foolishness stops, permanently.)

R

Since region free bluray players aren't really any more expensive than region locked ones and since many companies don't region lock blurays anyway... I don't see why regioning is such a big deal?

I bet the moment Region B has something Region A doesn't have will be an Australian release rather than a UK release though :(

Yes, but I have two region A players already (one's my PS3, which isn't available unlocked and has some other features I need), so region B has to have a compelling reason to exist. The way things are set up now, we gain nothing from region B existing, since we still get things later than region A and with the same content restrictions, and all that seems to happen is that things are made more inconvenient for the consumer. It could be interesting if the US anime industry collapsed due to having to put huge restrictions on everything to avoid Japanese reverse importation, and the UK versions were then superior, except what actually happens is we just inherit the US materials several months after their version ships, and we get discs with the same mistakes or omissions the US versions had (or more mistakes, since redoing all of the work to press new discs just adds more opportunities for errors to slip in).

I just don't see the point of the UK industry doing blu-ray, with the way things are.

(Unfortunately I have Roujin Z on DVD and don't want to upgrade it ;_; )

R

Rui said:
Yes, but I have two region A players already (one's my PS3, which isn't available unlocked and has some other features I need), so region B has to have a compelling reason to exist. The way things are set up now, we gain nothing from region B existing, since we still get things later than region A and with the same content restrictions, and all that seems to happen is that things are made more inconvenient for the consumer. It could be interesting if the US anime industry collapsed due to having to put huge restrictions on everything to avoid Japanese reverse importation, and the UK versions were then superior, except what actually happens is we just inherit the US materials several months after their version ships, and we get discs with the same mistakes or omissions the US versions had (or more mistakes, since redoing all of the work to press new discs just adds more opportunities for errors to slip in).

I just don't see the point of the UK industry doing blu-ray, with the way things are.

(Unfortunately I have Roujin Z on DVD and don't want to upgrade it ;_; )

R

Even if it's on DVD (having seen the trailer on Samurai Girls (French menu), it's worth the upgrade. The CPM DVD sucks quality wise.

It's not good. They've also put pretty much every other anime title they were releasing on indefinite hold. Even if you don't personally like Ikkitousen, it's plainly the kind of title which sells well, so not even being able to get that out to make some fast cash is extremely worrying.

R

Rui said:
lolwut?

Personally, it's got to the point where with anime, I will only buy a Region B blu-ray if either:
1) Financially I can't justify spending the money before it's out in the US, or between the US release date and UK date.
2) It's cheaper than the Region A counterpart.
3) Region A counterpart is a much better deal than the Region B (as in, more content etc).
4) No UK release announced.

Needless to say, since getting a multi-regional player, I haven't purchased any UK Blu-ray anime other than Arrietty. Even before then though, all of my collection aside from Eden of the East and Summer Wars/TGWLTT have been A/B (just means now I can get Region A locked stuff xD)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Just Passing Through said:
Lodoss War also cancelled

That one isn't remotely surprising given how long it's been since the announcement with no word of a release, but I would've thought Ikki Tousen was a decent seller.

At least they're continuing with Queen's Blade, which should cheer up T&A fans.

Trying to get some quick money with some rereleases too in June/July

Otoboku – Maidens Are Falling For Me: Complete Collection (Classic Collection) – 325 minutes – $14.99 – 7/24/12
Simoun: Endless Melody Collection (Classic Collection) – 650 minutes – $19.99 – 6/12/12
Step Up Love Story: Complete Collection (Classic Collection) – 120 minutes – $14.99 – 7/10/12
Strawberry Panic: Complete Collection (Classic Collection) – 650 minutes – $19.99 – 6/26/12

Some ridiculously cheap prices, if they ever see the light of day that is.

EDIT: Missed out on Mongolian Chop Squad a.k.a Beck?

Funimation are re-releasing the SAVE edition in June

FourthLion said:
Simoun is such a bargain at that price. Not sure about the other 3?

I thought there was already a SAVE Beck?

Which is why I said re-release. It was out for a few months, and then a whole lot of copyright nonsense forced them to put the brakes on and take Beck off all the merchandise. It's only Mongolian Chop Squad now. A lot of people missed out on the first SAVE release.

Bit sad about Lodoss war as I don't own/haven't seen the OVA or the TV series but by all accounts the Media Blasters version wasn't looking good as they couldn't get the source materials to do it justice.

On the other hand more Queen's Blade can't be bad. So long as it's on blu-ray like the previous releases I'll get it. Pity about Ikki Tousen Great Guardians - hopefully it is just a delay rather than an indefinite cancellation (need to speak to Planetaxel as I had it in my last order).

Of those cheap rereleases - I already own Step Up Love Story: Complete Collection. Might consider the others though.

Don't need Mongolian Chop Squad S.A.V.E as I have the R1 Beck singles & artbox.

ConanThe3rd said:
Yeah, Media Blasters are just about done. Queen's Blade is about as arousing as being punched in the balls with the round end of a hammer.
or as arousing has having paizuri between two leaking car batteries.

Back