The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
That reminds me actually, I keep meaning to ask about 009 RE Cyborg. Is that delayed on Funi's end or something?

Ours, the dubbing process was rather complex - it's a pretty dense film :).

Andrew

Well, all this hype around the GL Ultimate edition has persuaded me to cancel my order for the complete collection and go for the Ultimate. First time ordering from Zavvi too (as Amazon are taking the mick with their pricing at the moment) so I hope it arrives unscathed.

It makes such a difference when the company reps sound so enthusiastic about their product, doesn't it? Suddenly it's a hundred times more appealing *_*

R

I actually made a bunch of pre-orders in March for basically the whole Summer, right before Amazon cancelled the free postage to overseas. Lucky me, GL Ultimate Edition was one of my pre-orders (it was considerably cheaper than when it first showed up on Amazon (I believe when it first showed up it was 100+£, and I pre-ordered it when it was 86,54£... Still pricey, but quite cheaper). Can't wait!

Rui said:
Let's not tell him that we paid for our copies out of our Manga UK spending budget ^^;
If it's any consolation, he can rest assured that my Manga UK spending budget was completely unaffected by the preorder I just put in.

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
Let's not tell him that we paid for our copies out of our Manga UK spending budget ^^;
If it's any consolation, he can rest assured that my Manga UK spending budget was completely unaffected by the preorder I just put in.

Yeah that rings true for me, although I am buying their release of Psycho Pass next month......

I think this kickstarter deserves some notice - A group of Japanese veterans led by Director Masahiro Ando (Sword of the Stranger, Blast of Tempest. Hanasaku Iroha & Canaan) are kickstarting a anime called Under the Dog, a sci-fi thriller "that will explore what it means to live and die well, testing the limits of all we hold dear".

It's goal is $580,000 (basically what Robotech Academy tried to achieve) and while it's pretty high they do have a lot of interesting bits towards the goal like adding additional OVA episodes and then turning them all into a film if they reach a hell of a lot of donations.

$100 is for the Blu-ray/DVD and OST Soundtrack (not limited).

Uh oh, another project to divert money away from my imaginary Manga budget. I like the designs, though it doesn't seem guaranteed they'll meet their target.

R

Aniplex of America have announced the next title to be released on Blu-ray - Nisekoi!

rTyEIdW.jpg

Except it's in four parts, which is no surprise considering the JP Volumes haven't finished yet.

Starting November 25th, contains collectible ending card pin-ups, deluxe poster and box. Box format is similar to Monogatari Arc Volumes. Suggested that each Volume will contain 5 episodes. My guess it's about £50.

UPDATE - Righstuf info:
Contains episodes 1-5, plus collectible ending card pinups and a deluxe poster, all housed in a premium chipboard artbox!

Special Features: Textless Opening, Textless Endings.

Spoken Languages: Japanese, English subtitles.

Meanwhile Box Set #2 of Kill la Kill is out October 21st.

V9fBSsb.jpg

UPDATE - Rightstuf info:
This limited edition includes a special "Making Documentary" DVD, a postcard set, and a double-sided poster! While supplies last, this edition will also include an exclusive Bushiroad's Weis Schwarz Collectible PR Card!

Contains episodes 5-9.

Special Features: Textless Opening & Ending, Web Version Previews.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles.

Nisekoi: False Love - Volume 1 (S) - SRP $64.98
Kill la Kill - Box Set 2 (Hyb) - SRP $74.98

Nisekoi is also SUBTITLE ONLY. I was kinda hoping this would get a dub. You'd think it would be a good choice for one, unless they're gonna do one later in which case 4 volumes at £50 a pop is a no no for me.

Jon O Fun said:
Nisekoi is also SUBTITLE ONLY. I was kinda hoping this would get a dub. You'd think it would be a good choice for one, unless they're gonna do one later in which case 4 volumes at £50 a pop is a no no for me.
SRP price is $64.98, which is around £38.74. And if what Rightstuf says it's true, I'm surprised it could be a chipboard artbox.

NormanicGrav said:
Jon O Fun said:
SRP price is $64.98, which is around £38.74. And if what Rightstuf says it's true, I'm surprised it could be a chipboard artbox.
My bad '$50' a pop :p and yeah apparently it is a chipboard. My theory is $200 for a series i'm gonna have to double dip on if i want a dub isn't smart for me as there's so many different series and so little money :'(
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ray/.77448

Just found out the Chipboard thing is incorrect:
Whoops! My apologies, we had our information wrong, Nisekoi will not have a chipboard box according to our info, it will be a normal box illustrated by the character designer and chief animation director, Nobuhiro Sugiyama. This has been updated on our listing. Sorry about that!

And also all of the news + Q&As from the Aniplex panel over at Otakon:
17:10:44 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Kill la Kill vol 2 the limited edition set...
17:10:51 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> is actually a BD, DVD and a making of DVD
17:10:53 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Coming soon

17:18:24 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Nisekoi
17:19:11 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> coming 11/25
17:19:14 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> BD vol 1
17:19:21 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> subtitled only
17:19:24 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> 4 volumes
17:19:30 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> collectible ending card pin-ups
17:19:36 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> deluxe poster and box

17:22:49 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: P3 movie?
17:22:54 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: we did the import...that's all so far

17:23:09 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: Will we ever see a complex boxset of all of SAO I instead of 4 vols?
17:23:27 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: Right now we only have the 4 vols.... eventually... down the line... we hope to put it in a set

17:23:35 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: Dub or release of Rebellion (madoka movie)?
17:23:42 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: We brought it on import, no info on it yet

17:24:43 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: Releasing the older Bandai titles?
17:24:50 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: other companies might have the license and haven't announced it yet...

17:25:08 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q:...think you guys picked up WHR?
17:25:15 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: no information on the bandai releases...
17:25:27 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> (don't think they have any)

17:27:56 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: Garden of Sinners info?
17:28:16 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: None right now... Check the website

17:28:54 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: More premiere events for movies in the US?
17:29:10 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A; We're always looking at them... anything you are looking for?

17:29:28 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: Day Break Illusion... physical release?
17:29:36 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: No new news... only confirm it's streaming right now

17:29:47 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> Q: For Oreimo S2, can we expect bluray the same as S1?
17:29:54 <bay|Ota|Aniplex> A: Can't say anything right now, just the DVD set that's now available

Also if I remember correctly, there might be possible news regarding Evangelion 3.33 at the convention (if I recall in the last expo, they couldn't say anything except maybe in the next one [i.e. Otakon]).

NormanicGrav said:
I think this kickstarter deserves some notice - A group of Japanese veterans led by Director Masahiro Ando (Sword of the Stranger, Blast of Tempest. Hanasaku Iroha & Canaan) are kickstarting a anime called Under the Dog, a sci-fi thriller "that will explore what it means to live and die well, testing the limits of all we hold dear".

It's goal is $580,000 (basically what Robotech Academy tried to achieve) and while it's pretty high they do have a lot of interesting bits towards the goal like adding additional OVA episodes and then turning them all into a film if they reach a hell of a lot of donations.

$100 is for the Blu-ray/DVD and OST Soundtrack (not limited).
I'm in. How lucky for Manga that this also doesn't change how much money I am going to spend on their releases this year.

Via Podcast

- Steelbook version confirmed for Bayonetta: Bloody Fate.

- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods *is* coming out '10th November' and will contain 'something that may be included in our version'. More news regarding the release very soon. Theatrical screenings are confirmed but for now it's Scotland Loves Anime and for fans to allow requests to get the film in certain cinemas but does not indicate a date, assumed it will be dubbed. Manga pays £200-500 per screen to sort them out.

- Harlock: Space Pirate is coming out February 2015 (confirmed earlier as 2nd February). The film on Netflix expires end of January. Blu-ray version will include 3D version. International Theatrical Edits with the English dub and Japanese language. Possible steelbook for the UK (Jerome wants it).

UPDATE: MORE INFO

- Ghost in the Shell poster was exclusive to San Diego because there was no one to go with in the UK to help out. The company that helped out in the end was American (Mondo).

Ask Manga UK:

- Difference between Jormungand and Index licenses? They got their distribution through Funimation. They love to get Index franchise but Geneon are holding on to the UK rights. Manga can't overcome some of the legal rights that are required for the license.

- Shows they watched from the Summer 2014 season? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Re:Hamatora, Sword Art Online II, Terror in Resonance & Tokyo Ghoul (they dread for an uncut version). Jonathan watched Maoyu (they think MVM has it, it's streaming on Animax).

- How easily is it to keep a stay legal message? Jerome 'check Crunchyroll, Animax, Netflix' and 'how do you do it?'. Jonathan thinks people don't know a difference between legal and illegal. Jerome says you don't have to pay anything with Animax and Crunchyroll (that's false with Animax as a majority are restricted to a payroll). Jerome "£7 a month isn't that much to ask". They didn't mention Viewster and Wakanim until the last minute. Jerome 'do try all of those sites first'. They're aware that Gatchaman is on iTunes. Blinkbox has some anime.

- Anime Limited is now expanding their catalog onto other streaming services (like Animax), will you be doing the same (not including iTunes)? I have nothing against iTunes by the way, my point was that Manga should get their stuff onto Animax (outside KAZE), Crunchyroll, Netflix, Viewster and Wakanim to allow fans to watch the stuff for free legally like Funimation (try before buy reasons). They prefer to get their stuff on iTunes since it helps them but they should get more on Netflix, focusing on shows for now but they'll love to get Akira & Ghost in the Shell.

- Is there a special reason US companies seem more likely to get anime on Blu-ray? Jonathan 'More companies'. Jerome loves to get shows on Blu-ray since it's now cheaper (sometimes they need CMF file with all the data ready to go and press the disc since it's HD and not a PAL format). Jerome doesn't buy DVDs anymore and 'Loads of people don't realise DVDs can be played on Blu-ray'.

- In an age of communications, how easier is it to license anime than it was years ago? Deals are being done face to face in Japan to do it than E-Mail. Film Festivals is a good way to get license rights with Japanese folks. Jerome 'Four to five face to face meetings a year'.

- Jerome had to go so a lot of the unanswered question will go to the next podcast.

- I wonder why there aren't any UK sourced audio commentaries for anime these days? It's been ages since I listened to a classic Clementary, and now that Manga are authoring more titles in-house, it seems the opportunity is there for some UK localisation in terms of extras. Jonathan 'It's quite expensive, very time consuming and have to hire certain people or everyone and (what Jerome specially hates) get them rated by the BBFC'. Ghibli don't want films discussed in commentaries for the localised releases. Appleseed was Jonathan's first commentary. Jonathan paid the commentary from Ninja Scroll for the Manga UK Steelbook 20th Anniversary release. Jonathan was offered to do commentary for Optinum's Castle of Cagliostro, he agrees but was told he can't because they don't have enough space for the trailers (LOLWUT).

- Of course the sticking point to getting them on disc might be the Japanese licensors, so how about podcast commentaries? Jonathan 'It would be awful'.

- Is there any news on possible Black Butler and K-ON! Blu-ray releases? Especially with the new series of Black Butler putting the title back in the limelight.. Jerome 'Unfortunately not'. K-On! apparently didn't sell well in all territories.

- Obviously we can't expect you to give out official figures... I would be interested in knowing if the licencing price changes if it's been released before in the UK. Jeremy 'We'll answer the rest of her questions in the next podcast'. Andrew 'I can't speak on behalf of Jerome but yeah it probably would'. Jonathan 'no one is quite sure how by what degree the price could vary'. He used Pioneer's Akira release as an example as it was required that they had to include 3x3 Eyes and Iffy. Manga Entertainment had dozens of titles in deals like Vampire Wars (never released in UK but apparently it was bad). Whether they would buy a license that was released before in the UK is a question. They picked up Weapon of Death by accident as it was a Korean anime (the anime was a worse version of Fist of the North Star).

- With the World going Eco, do you think a reboot of Marine Boy is in order? Jeremy 'Uhhh No, a reboot is not needed'. Marine Boy is a problematic show with grain likely and only for nostaglic folks (Fun fact: it's been released quite recently in the US).

Next Podcast is before or maybe after Glasgow Comic Con.

UPDATED FIXES: Corrections and highlighted text in Blue to include my opinion/thoughts on it.

Back