The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

NormanicGrav said:
Just out of curiosity Andrew, since Aniplex USA didn't realise Kill la Kill is getting an OVA (Episode 25) with the reaction the announcer had during their live shows (probably explains the lack of details with the rest of the sets), do you have the rights to the OVA episode?

And any ideas for what Part 2 and 3 will include in terms of collectible items. Since Part 1 has the artbook I was wondering if you'll be hunting down other special stuff that the JP Volumes received such as Trigger Production clips and I think you were keen on the second original soundtrack?

I think there's a difference between a presenter not knowing and the business team ;)! Regardless if it was meant to be a surprise the OVA is definitely included in our contract and will go on the last release in 2015 (hoping for in time for MCM Expo in May).

We have a few options:

1. Continue picking the best artbooks that came with the show in Japan (there was one per volume, 9 volumes).

2. Add a nice rigid box at the end to hold the show.

3. Push for Remix CD 2 - but that one is very complicated always to clear rights (but it is super good so I am pretty motivated).

4. Create something cool of our own (Trigger is very strict so this one is unlikely).

I'm pretty aware of costs too so if we're asked to enforce £59.99 SRP then I'll look at whatever we can fit in. Part 1 actually exceeds our usual cost for production : Actual Income ratio we have - but I want to deliver real value as that price really demands it IMO.

If we have the option I'd like to get Part 2's price down at least somewhat but we'll see. Odds are hazy on that alas.

AP

Mohawk52 said:
anime_andrew said:
How so xD?

AP
Small limited run. Premium RRP. When it's gone, it's gone. No re-release or additional print run. But you wouldn't do that to us, would you? :wink:

2000 copies is not exactly a small run when most other companies seem to have 1000 as their start point for a run of standard releases.

You already know it's a premium release that won't be re-printed, You've had months to come to terms with that fact.

I for one appreciate the efforts that are being made to bring something a little bit bigger than the barebones we normally get and understand that the extra materials and effort this requires does increase the price.

I still think 2000 copies is rather large for the TTGL Ultimate Edition, I do hope it sells extremely well, maybe US fans who wouldn't stump for the AoA set might bite.

britguy said:
I still think 2000 copies is rather large for the TTGL Ultimate Edition, I do hope it sells extremely well, maybe US fans who wouldn't stump for the AoA set might bite.

Didn't Andrew say about 60% of the stock was pre-ordered? That's at least 1200 of 2000. I'm curious to know how much pre-orders they manage to achieve. I won't be surprised if the US is helping out given they are suffering from an £400 import and £60 barebones Movie recaps.

NormanicGrav said:
I won't be surprised if the US is helping out given they are suffering from an £400 import and £60 barebones Movie recaps.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's pre-orders from Australia (Also region B), America (Seen loads of posts from people saying they own region B players for Aniplex stuff) and France (Considering the set has french audio and subs).
It's also not like this is a random new title being released. It's a complete edition of a pretty well known and well received series from 2007, which has an excellent Bluray transfer, nice packaging and a crap ton of extras.

Mohawk52 said:
anime_andrew said:
How so xD?

AP
Small limited run. Premium RRP. When it's gone, it's gone. No re-release or additional print run. But you wouldn't do that to us, would you? :wink:

TL;DR - I prefer to keep things in print in some capacity even after Collector's / Ultimates sell out :).

Long answer: Not at all - hence why the standard edition is coming out at the same time too :). Or are you referring to the set itself? Because the amount it costs to print & retail at - I think it's actually only good for one print run. That at the rate it is selling is likely to be done with by latest end of Q1 2015, which is a bit unsettling. 60-70% stock is already accounted for on Day 1 sales too - not got exact figures to hand there.

But to answer the point - I really don't intend to not re-release in some capacity - I just don't think re-releasing the movies separately offers that much value right now. May test that out though on our own store or something though - need to look at costs for a very limited Amaray print run on that. Need to see though if it's really viable based off the US sales of their movie set too.

Does that put your mind at rest though :)?

AP

britguy said:
NormanicGrav said:
If it gets that figure, I wonder how Jerome would react.

Likely some sort of twitter meltdown berating fans

Let's not tell him that we paid for our copies out of our Manga UK spending budget ^^;

Just ordered the set along with a new BD player (region B - exclusively for Anime Limited releases). What an expensive evening.

R

Rui said:
Let's not tell him that we paid for our copies out of our Manga UK spending budget ^^;

Just ordered the set along with a new BD player (region B - exclusively for Anime Limited releases). What an expensive evening.

R
Well this is news Rui! I never thought you'd end up buying a region B player.
For how long have you maintained you've no intention of buying one until now?

Mangaranga said:
Rui said:

R

I don't know that I'll actually use it much, but at least it can also play all of my region-free discs. I couldn't keep watching Andrew singlehandedly modernising the UK marketplace without joining in ;_;

(I still think all BD releases should be region-free though.)

R

Rui said:
Mangaranga said:
Rui said:

R

I don't know that I'll actually use it much, but at least it can also play all of my region-free discs. I couldn't keep watching Andrew singlehandedly modernising the UK marketplace without joining in ;_;

(I still think all BD releases should be region-free though.)

R

Very very touched by this *__*.

Also re-quoting as I share the sentiment and in many ways I see that as the future - you're looking at a world where centralisation is key so you may get Anime Ltd, Manga UK etc. But they'll be part of bigger structures managing the output locally of works that are region free. I think right now it's harder because so many different people have the rights that it's hard to say who gets the % that belongs to the licensee when a region free sale is made right now.

That said - I can only see it moving towards the bigger picture not away from it now so I guess it'll be interesting to see what happens with use of region codes over time...especially while they remain an issue for those in the [A] region!

Best,

AP

anime_andrew said:

AP
If I appeared worrried I can asure you I wasn't. Still waiting for you to actually release the titles I'm interested in though. There are a few. :wink:

NormanicGrav said:
britguy said:
1200 is a great figure if it is an accurate representation of how many sell on day 1 :)

If it gets that figure, I wonder how Jerome would react.
You've got to think that Manga have been paying close attention to Anime Limited's releases (its just good business sense). Instead of doing it yourself let someone else take the risk (Even MVM took the chance with Fate/Zero) I'd bet good money Manga release an actual 'limited/collector's edition' sometime in 2015 after the success Anime Limited have had and constant pressure from the fans.

Mohawk52 said:
anime_andrew said:

AP
If I appeared worrried I can asure you I wasn't. Still waiting for you to actually release the titles I'm interested in though. There are a few. :wink:

Hah! I feel dumb now xD! We'll work on that too then - which titles :D?

AP

anime_andrew said:
Hah! I feel dumb now xD! We'll work on that too then - which titles :D?

AP
I thought you already were!

Mai Mai Miracle, HAL, 009 Re: Cyborg, Tiger and Bunny the Rising, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy, Letter To Momo, And last but not least Garden of Words.

Back