The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

NormanicGrav said:

Thanks for the transcript, I rarely bother with podcasts so it was a nice read for me. It really saddens me that so many releases don't get blu-ray releases in the UK and yet they do across Europe. I know with some anime the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD is fairly minimal (when upscaled) but it will be the standard at some point and UK companies should really invest in it more, even if they choose to do say a minimum 1000 preorders before printing and if they get that 1000 preorders then print them, I don't know the production market costs so I don't know what a minimum profitable figure would be.

Cel said:
K-On didn't sell well? :(

How many UK fans waited for the Blu-ray that was then cancelled... then waited for a Blu-ray upgrade later down the line a 'la FMA:B, and then gave up and imported?

Raises hand...

They mention being tied to the original release format... but since Sentai are re-releasing Season 1 as a complete collection, on remastered Blu (Lossless Japanese) and DVD, that shouldn't be an issue. It's probably too late now for Manga.

Cel said:

I wonder how much its sold thus far ..

Makes me miss those figures Andrew used to post, those were pretty interesting. I would love to see a "top 20 sellers" of the year or "top 10 sells of 2014 released anime" or something.

Podcast:

Happy to see Manga are going to be getting some more titles on Netflix. I 100% believe this is the way forward, with the lack of Anime on TV there has to be something in place for the younger generation to be introduced to Anime and Netflix is the best way.
Be funky if MVM could try to get some titles on Netflix too.

I'm surprised Jeremy isn't watching Aldnoah.Zero, that seems to be a very "Manga" show and something I could see them getting hold of.

Will be getting that Bayonetta steelbook, love me some steelbooks.

Regarding the license announcement next month, they hope to have some box art to show off too .. wonder what it could be to garner that type of attention at an expo. please no more dbz or one piece

Possible sign that Cardcaptor Sakura may go to Anime Limited:
User 1 Cant believe the Cardcaptor Sakura boxset is region locked :( aswell as the Ranma 1/2 sets come on @MangaUK @AllTheAnime @MVM_UK get it done.

Manga UK ‏The Licensor isn't that keen on my offer for UK rights. It happens. >JM

All the Anime We'll take a look - one of those projects that would be 2015 for us though now!

User 2 As proven by NISA, a lot of people would pay for a pricey LE. Would love to see something like your GR LE.

All the Anime It's not impossible for sure - let me look into it.
Why don't we give the impossible/big titles to them (AL)? I still want to know if they can convince Geneon to get Index.

And Gurren Lagann will be delayed to the end of September, approval reasons:
@AllTheAnime is Gurren Laggan Ultimate BD still on track for a 1st Sept release, guys? Thanks

All the Anime Sadly going to slide to end of September, we'll update as soon as we're certain of date though. Approvals have been crazy. (AP)

Under the Dog Kickstarter
- Really looks great, I'm all in for the Blu-ray! But yeah, if you seriously want to get anywhere near that $580,000 goal in one month, which is already a near-unattainable goal for any anime Kickstarter, you absolutely must have one or two pledge levels between $40 and $60 that includes physical disc media (at least a basic, bare-bones Blu-ray or DVD offering) to bring the crowds in, or else this Kickstarter will just flounder around the $200K level. I already see posts on some anime forums responding negatively about the lack of a Blu-ray pledge at a more reasonable or affordable level than $100, so a lot of people won't even consider pledging...

- Absolutely. We are seeing those forums as well and we are strongly considering the addition of 1-2 tiers between $40-60 for barebones DVD and/or Blu-ray. We will send out updates once we make a decision.

Just Passing Through said:
Cel said:

How many UK fans waited for the Blu-ray that was then cancelled... then waited for a Blu-ray upgrade later down the line a 'la FMA:B, and then gave up and imported?

Raises hand...

They mention being tied to the original release format... but since Sentai are re-releasing Season 1 as a complete collection, on remastered Blu (Lossless Japanese) and DVD, that shouldn't be an issue. It's probably too late now for Manga.

I ended up just buying all the DVDs, but I certainly would get any blu-ray collections of it day one. Sad.

NormanicGrav said:
Possible sign that Cardcaptor Sakura may go to Anime Limited:
User 1 Cant believe the Cardcaptor Sakura boxset is region locked :( aswell as the Ranma 1/2 sets come on @MangaUK @AllTheAnime @MVM_UK get it done.

Manga UK ‏The Licensor isn't that keen on my offer for UK rights. It happens. >JM

All the Anime We'll take a look - one of those projects that would be 2015 for us though now!

User 2 As proven by NISA, a lot of people would pay for a pricey LE. Would love to see something like your GR LE.

All the Anime It's not impossible for sure - let me look into it.
Why don't we give the impossible/big titles to them (AL)? I still want to know if they can convince Geneon to get Index.

And Gurren Lagann will be delayed to the end of September, approval reasons:
@AllTheAnime is Gurren Laggan Ultimate BD still on track for a 1st Sept release, guys? Thanks

All the Anime Sadly going to slide to end of September, we'll update as soon as we're certain of date though. Approvals have been crazy. (AP)
I remember Andrew saying Ranma 1/2 is one of his favorite series. I'd say more chance of Anime Limited getting that than Cardcaptor, and given that they're releasing Blood Lad (another Viz Media title) you never know :p

NormanicGrav said:

The problem with Geneon was explained at an industry con panel a while ago.

Geneon is owned by a large studio which has complex compliance requirements, meaning that Manga Entertainment - also owned by a large media corporation - is unable to do business with Geneon as their parent companies are unwilling to reveal certain trade secrets to one another. It's important to note that these circumstances only affect Manga. Kaze and MVM are able to deal with Geneon in the normal way (and indeed they already do, as Tony interjected).

So there's actually no problem at all, it's just that Manga can't license Geneon works due to Starz. Presumably AL should be able to grab titles in the normal way if they decide to bid for them.

R

Rui said:
So there's actually no problem at all, it's just that Manga can't license Geneon works due to Starz. Presumably AL should be able to grab titles in the normal way if they decide to bid for them.

R

I guess that explains why a lot of people were asking MVM to pick up Index. I prefer that Anime Limited handle the franchise since I personally would like a nice special release (Funimation screwed up the consistency - DVD LEs for Index & Railgun, then standard DVD parts (No LE) for Railgun S and standard BD/DVD (Blu-ray sized) combo parts (again, No LE) for Index II) and MVM probably relies on Australia which I don't think has been released or is DVD only.

Jon O Fun said:
I remember Andrew saying Ranma 1/2 is one of his favorite series. I'd say more chance of Anime Limited getting that than Cardcaptor, and given that they're releasing Blood Lad (another Viz Media title) you never know :p

Damn, now I don't know whether to keep buying the Viz sets for Ranma (they're so nice) in favour of keeping up my AL collection :?

Just got back from holiday and catching up on things.

I adore Nisekoi and would definitely love to own the series on blu-ray, but as a sub-only release spread over four volumes with minimal extras? Considering the usual stuff Aniplex USA pump out, I'm admittedly disappointed by this. They're basically asking me to pay £8 per episode, with the only bonuses being things like postcards and posters? :/

I'll wait to see what Kazé or whoever in Australia has licensed it are putting out first.

Joshawott said:
Just got back from holiday and catching up on things.

I adore Nisekoi and would definitely love to own the series on blu-ray, but as a sub-only release spread over four volumes with minimal extras? Considering the usual stuff Aniplex USA pump out, I'm admittedly disappointed by this. They're basically asking me to pay £8 per episode, with the only bonuses being things like postcards and posters? :/

I'll wait to see what Kazé or whoever in Australia has licensed it are putting out first.

In all fairness Aniplex are releasing the series 10 months after it aired in Japan, that's honesty too early for localisation (same goes for Kill la Kill). The minimum is usually about 15 months at least (that's how Haganai NEXT and Devil is a Part Timer was like).

I'm hoping Aniplex release a chipboard artbox with Volume 4, that would make up for the lack of content.

And welcome back by the way!

britguy said:
Jon O Fun said:

Damn, now I don't know whether to keep buying the Viz sets for Ranma (they're so nice) in favour of keeping up my AL collection :?
Those Viz limited editions are beautiful, and to be honest just the thing Anime Limited need. I think we can all agree they've done an amazing job with the releases they've had but what they need is to get some titles out the door! Take the Viz limiteds, slight tweek the box design, ship them, hungry fans buy, jobs a good un ;)

FUNimation have nabbed Haruhi (seems to be everything sans Disappearance), Lucky Star, the Steins;Gate movie and the Strike Witches movie. Also, home video rights for D-Frag, BlazBlue: Alter Memory, Freezing Vibration, Riddle Story Devil and Unbreakable Machine Doll.

Joshawott said:
FUNimation have nabbed Haruhi (seems to be everything sans Disappearance), Lucky Star, the Steins;Gate movie and the Strike Witches movie. Also, home video rights for D-Frag, BlazBlue: Alter Memory, Freezing Vibration, Riddle Story Devil and Unbreakable Machine Doll.

HOLY ****. HOLY MOTHER OF HARUHI OMG.

Back