The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Emulsion said:
Wow, sounds good. Out of curiosity, seen as you have upped the bitrate, have you had to increase the disc count for the series from 4 to 5? or was there still enough disc space to use 4 discs?

Still 4 discs - had space to spare on the BD50s as most discs don't max them out anyway and this was no real exception there.

Best,

AP

Sora Takeuchi said:
Sounds great, I have been wondering will the book be a Hardback or Paperback?

We pushed it to hardback on this one but I am waiting for the final white samples before I sign off on it - all hinges on how strong the bind on teh sample we get is. If it holds up to the Idiotic Partridge Flick Through test, then it'll stay - which I think will be the case. Failing that softback at that range definitely will be sturdy - so really hinges on the sample as I say :).

For now - it's hardback but will confirm before we blog!

AP

Andrew are you the mastermind who put that plush Wolfs Rain book of the moon collectors edition together a few years back? I still think that was best UK anime limited edition ever released. That Gundam Wing one wasn't a slouch either. It's good news if we're still getting limited editions of that quality coming out!

anime_andrew said:
Sora Takeuchi said:
Sounds great, I have been wondering will the book be a Hardback or Paperback?

We pushed it to hardback on this one but I am waiting for the final white samples before I sign off on it - all hinges on how strong the bind on teh sample we get is. If it holds up to the Idiotic Partridge Flick Through test, then it'll stay - which I think will be the case. Failing that softback at that range definitely will be sturdy - so really hinges on the sample as I say :).

For now - it's hardback but will confirm before we blog!

AP
Good to hear, can't wait for it to be released now

anime_andrew said:
Well between yourselves, we'll blog on this soon - but because we keep getting revisions to the artbook the best solution I could find was go bigger! This means instead of a standard sized BD box size (like DRR but a bit wider) and book that fits inside you will now get:

- An 116 page, 18.1CM x 21CM book
- Collector's packaging that fits the book and Digipack inside with all discs.
- Art card certifying the number of the edition.

The packaging has been done upwards too - I'm adding a very cool Spot UV layer to the characters on the cover just now! Means they'll stand out a bit more, a trick used more on books than homevideo but is really cool.

Oh also while the book has been in approval we bumped the bitrate up on the video too based on user feedback so it averages out at >30MBPs which is basically unheard of in western authoring houses for this kind of project. Having watched the re-done discs, I'm happy with what we've done anyway!

TL;DR - This may be the longest approvals project I have ever worked on in my 11 years in the industry - but boy I'll be damned if it isn't a crowning jewel of my work to date by the time we're done.

Andrew
I'm very glad that you're not only improving the packaging, but also the video quality as well. It definitely helps add to the premium feel of the overall product, and it makes little sense to me to leave so much space unused when you've got 200gb to play with. Two quick questions, does this bump in video also apply to the movies too, and did you manage to get a fix for the audio?

Overall the amount of love and care you're putting in to the project is really showing here, and I can't wait to have the final package.

anime_andrew said:
They only had 50 copies available on their online shop.

I think this is probably a move to not alienate Amazon, after all you can't really ask Amazon to stock your titles if you then go ahead and also sell them from your own store in large numbers at prices that beat theirs because you've cut out the middle man.

Partially - but also if you have only 2,000 units - you really want to ensure everyone gets their fair allocation and if we kept the lion's share then it'd put our friends in retail in an awkward position :).

It's all about balance anyway too as people have commented on - definitely something I believe in personally :).

AP
There I was thinking you just pulled a page out of AniPlex USA's policy book. Silly me. :wink:

Hyped for Durarara Season 2! I had a suspicion it'd be airing during Winter season, Andrew said something somewhere very soon after the announcement and I felt some heavy hints, such a rascal. Looking forward to the obvious release of the second season by Anime Limited ;)

ayase said:
You shouldn't leave K-On in a hot car without the window open.

Ha! That was pretty good .. Just came back from going into work on my time off to sort out a major issue and this softened the immense stress. Cheers!

EDIT: Sankarea has been moved back to January 5th, 2015. - http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... =59&page=4

Mohawk52 said:
anime_andrew said:
They only had 50 copies available on their online shop.

I think this is probably a move to not alienate Amazon, after all you can't really ask Amazon to stock your titles if you then go ahead and also sell them from your own store in large numbers at prices that beat theirs because you've cut out the middle man.

Partially - but also if you have only 2,000 units - you really want to ensure everyone gets their fair allocation and if we kept the lion's share then it'd put our friends in retail in an awkward position :).

It's all about balance anyway too as people have commented on - definitely something I believe in personally :).

AP
There I was thinking you just pulled a page out of AniPlex USA's policy book. Silly me. :wink:

How so xD?

AP

Just out of curiosity Andrew, since Aniplex USA didn't realise Kill la Kill is getting an OVA (Episode 25) with the reaction the announcer had during their live shows (probably explains the lack of details with the rest of the sets), do you have the rights to the OVA episode?

And any ideas for what Part 2 and 3 will include in terms of collectible items. Since Part 1 has the artbook I was wondering if you'll be hunting down other special stuff that the JP Volumes received such as Trigger Production clips and I think you were keen on the second original soundtrack?

Back