The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ayase said:
NormanicGrav said:
I get that it's a joke but y'know, if they'd put a bit more thought into that and actually asked HG how much they'd sell the rights for they might have actually been able to pull that off.

It's still hilarious though. And the rewards are so badly done it's never going to reach it's goal.

NormanicGrav said:
ayase said:
NormanicGrav said:
I get that it's a joke but y'know, if they'd put a bit more thought into that and actually asked HG how much they'd sell the rights for they might have actually been able to pull that off.

It's still hilarious though. And the rewards are so badly done it's never going to reach it's goal.

Its goal of 100 million dollars? I really don't think it would reach that even if they had the best set of rewards ever.

Dannielle said:
Usagi Drop & Watamote (along with the other's announced on Friday) are up for pre order on MVM's site.

Usagi Drop is DVD only due on November 10th, 2014
Watamote is DVD & BD due on December 15th, 2014

- http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home ... n=0&page=1
MVM continue their policy of taking all my money. I reckon at least 80% of my anime purchases this year will be MVM titles.

Elaniel said:
I'll be getting Hal and BL, both blind buys but they sound interesting and I've heard good things about them. Blood Lad is the only one I'll be preordering though, thanks to MVMs Garden of Sinners boxset being released the same month. I'll probably get Wings at some point, christmas maybe.

Spotted this on a reply from Andrew on the Anime Limited facebook page in regards to Kill La Kill

If you do want to watch anime without breaking the bank - then it's totally cool to watch it via streaming. We're making that a viable alternative as well by supplying titles to platforms like Wakanim, Netflix and soon actually Animax as well.

Forgot to mention this but for those who didn't know:
- A Silent Voice manga will finish
- Ace of the Diamond anime will be extended to March 2015 (in other words should be about 75 episodes overall)
- Ganbare Goemon manga artist passed away
- Media Blasters signing a deal for Yaoi stuff, in addition Holy Knight is getting a dub
- Macross Plus BD-Box is being re-released [Movie: English Subs | OVA: English Dub] in October
- More actors announced for World Trigger
- Seven Seas confirm 3 more Alice manga
- Tamayura franchise gets 4 anime films to complete story
- Terra Formars anime is starting September 26
- Yowapeda/Yowamushi Pedal will get a compilation anime film

GolGotha said:
Spotted this on a reply from Andrew on the Anime Limited facebook page

If you do want to watch anime without breaking the bank - then it's totally cool to watch it via streaming. We're making that a viable alternative as well by supplying titles to platforms like Wakanim, Netflix and soon actually Animax as well.

Wow, I guess that works. It might damage Wakanim though if all of it ends up on other services.

ilmaestro said:
Nice to have you back, Normanic!

Thanks, nice to see you too! I managed to catch up with the news on the previous page (even got confirmation from Andrew regarding RSF: WoH which was nice).

NormanicGrav said:
Wow, I guess that works. It might damage Wakanim though if all of it ends up on other services.

I don't think it will damage them at all. Wakanim offered Kill La Kill via streaming when it aired as well as DTO. And is now simply making the series accessible after it's aired on other services, who as far as I am aware, don't offer DTO, which is what makes them different to other streaming sites.

wow the Ghibli news is pretty sad. They were one of the last true bastions of high quality and traditional-ish 2D animation in Japan, but it looks like even they can't afford it anymore :(

Take me back, I don't care what year it is, as long as it's before that evil hour of darkness that was 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that the Wakanim ads never seem to work (I don't use any ad blocking tools) perhaps it could be argued that showing it elsewhere will actually help them as their cost will be lower ^_^;;

Maybe some competition will increase the speeds for all of the services...!

R

In regards to the Ghibli stuff ..I knew Hosada was part of Ghibli at some point but not to this extent ..... (everyone probably already knows this trivia but hey ho)

"Yoshifumi Kondo, and Mamoru Hosoda were both touted as potential heirs, but Kondo died suddenly from an aneurysm in 1998 which doctors said had been brought on by overwork, and Hosoda left under a cloud in 2002 over creative differences during the planning stages of his directorial debut, Howl’s Moving Castle. "

I cannot help but think Hosada would've been perfect to take the helm, his films feel very Ghibli (which is probably why they're good sellers over here), especially Wolf Children...

What could've been eh ...

Dannielle said:
In regards to the Ghibli stuff ..I knew Hosada was part of Ghibli at some point but not to this extent ..... (everyone probably already knows this trivia but hey ho)

"Yoshifumi Kondo, and Mamoru Hosoda were both touted as potential heirs, but Kondo died suddenly from an aneurysm in 1998 which doctors said had been brought on by overwork, and Hosoda left under a cloud in 2002 over creative differences during the planning stages of his directorial debut, Howl’s Moving Castle. "

I cannot help but think Hosada would've been perfect to take the helm, his films feel very Ghibli (which is probably why they're good sellers over here), especially Wolf Children...

What could've been eh ...
I think ultimately though, it's probably better this way. Miyazaki has his own way of doing things and Hosoda has his. If you expect someone to work within a particular system or guidelines you're essentially limiting their creative output, which just leads to stagnation (for a good illustration of that you need look no further than the Hollywood studio machines).

Ghibli was great, yes. But the choice is clearly "evolve or die" and I don't think there's any shame in choosing the latter if they feel that to continue would dilute what the brand stood for.

Andrew has also said the following about Kill La Kill

Well - you say that but we've also made it available (so far) on Netflix and Wakanim.tv - we'll also be branching out to iTunes and other areas for screening soon digitally. So it can't really be argued we're not trying to get this the widest audience legally that we can.

ayase said:
I think ultimately though, it's probably better this way.
I broadly agree with this. There can definitely be drawbacks to having a shadow as large as Ghibli's hanging over an industry, or over individual creators trying to break through. If it does have to come to an end, this definitely seems like a dignified way for the company to go.

lelouchnarukami said:
Looks like the highly expected second season for Attack on Titan has been green-lit; it's now in pre-production.
Finally, good grief.

animefreak17 said:
lelouchnarukami said:
Looks like the highly expected second season for Attack on Titan has been green-lit; it's now in pre-production.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1242001

Well I know alot of fans are going to go mental over this.....I haven't seen it yet but I heard it's over the top good

It was airing just as I started watching anime - it was impossible not to hear about it. :)

The show deserves it's hype, but I personally feel it isn't amazing - some areas of the show were slow-paced (mainly a problem when watching the show weekly).

Is Hosoda really even that good though? The only film I've seen of his so far is Summer Wars and found that to be a very forgettable load of mumbo jumbo (http://uk.mumboandjumbo.com/ great website that is. It's like a whole world of secret information I shouldn't be privy to. Even found a "home salon" hairdresser in my local area on there. Though it's uncertain if she cuts men's hair.) that was in no way special. The only thing I do particularly remember about it is how incredibly twee it was, which is something that most Ghibli movies crucially manage to avoid.

Back