The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ConanThe3rd said:
On the Tiger & Bunny sponsership thing, I was under the impression Sunrise made some deilberetat choices (Most of the Heroes when Suited are CGI models (I belive only Dragon Kid and Blue Rose arn't) ) so that if they needed to remove adverts, much like when they had to remove all the refrences to Pizza Hut in Code Geass, that it would only require some minor editing.

Which, given re-render times and everyhting, I wouldn't be surprised if they just rendered two versions out when they were remastering for BR/DVD.
Aye, I think I said that earlier in this thread too. I specifically remember someone from Sunrise saying it in an interview (also, they kind of did do that half way through the series when Amazon started sponsoring Barnaby). Also, with Blu Rose and Dragon Kid, the logos are in rather "out of the way" places (like the corner of Blue Rose's headpiece and in the middle of the giant er...things on Dragon Kid) so removing them wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I asked MangaUK about it anyway. This was my question:
Heya,
I have a rather minor question about the upcoming Tiger & Bunny release from yourselves and Kazé. I've noticed that the US press material doesn't have the character's sponsorship logos on them and apparently the Taiwanese DVD release had to remove them due to the Japanese enterprises not authorising their use overseas.

However, the UK cover art still features them. So will our release feature the characters' corporate sponsorship logos or not?

It's not a big deal if they are or not either way, just a small curiosity.
This was their answer:
Hi, I've watched the UK discs and can confirm the logos and whatnot are still present. I'm not at liberty to discuss sensitive licensing information, but I will say everything changes once something becomes an 'international' license. Hence why it varies in different territories and countries. Does that help? ^JG

devilrules666 said:
Hey A Certain Scientific Railgun has finally been given a release date of 20th April from Funimation! woo hoo been waiting a while for that one!
Yes!

Also, Aniplex USA are releasing Oreimo and Nisemonogatari on blu-ray in America on 27th and 26th of February for $150 and $350 respectively.

The Oreimo DVD upscaled looks pretty darn amazing as it is...I hope Crunchyroll got the prices the wrong way round though.

Joshawott said:
devilrules666 said:
Hey A Certain Scientific Railgun has finally been given a release date of 20th April from Funimation! woo hoo been waiting a while for that one!
Yes!

Also, Aniplex USA are releasing Oreimo and Nisemonogatari on blu-ray in America on 27th and 26th of February for $150 and $350 respectively.

The Oreimo DVD upscaled looks pretty darn amazing as it is...I hope Crunchyroll got the prices the wrong way round though.

Definitely getting both Oreimo and Nisemono! I was waiting for Oreimo to arrive on Bluray! :D

Joshawott said:

I checked Crunchyroll and they have it the other way around. $150 (pre-discount) for Nisemonogatari and $330 for Oreimo, which is correct.

According to some posters on ANN, the Oreimo BD set would be cheaper to import from Amazon Japan - and it's exactly the same thing. Either way, a big fat PASS from me. I like the show but for that kind of money I find myself feeling a renewed appreciation for good old DVD. Almost certainly will be passing on Nisemonogatari, too, though that one is at least sanely priced.

Yeah I got it the wrong way round. $350 for Oreimo is ridiculous, especially as the DVDs upscaled look absolutely beautiful as it is.

Despite the fact that Nisemonogatari was pretty **** compared to Bakemonogatari, I'll still probably be buying it. (No Commentary tracks this time though?)
And here I was thinking that I would only be getting the Baka and Test OVA this February.

As for Oreimo, is the show really that darn popular to warrant releasing BD imports for it?
A, the price is ridiculous for what it is, and B, there are better shows out there which warrant sane, or even insanely priced re-issues like the Garden of Sinners Bluray.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:

I checked Crunchyroll and they have it the other way around. $150 (pre-discount) for Nisemonogatari and $330 for Oreimo, which is correct.

According to some posters on ANN, the Oreimo BD set would be cheaper to import from Amazon Japan - and it's exactly the same thing. Either way, a big fat PASS from me. I like the show but for that kind of money I find myself feeling a renewed appreciation for good old DVD. Almost certainly will be passing on Nisemonogatari, too, though that one is at least sanely priced.

Ouch on that price, double that of another show of a similar length? is this just becuase it's the same set as Japan and it's coming out at the same time as their BR?

Damn, I knew AOA would be releasing Oreimo on BD at some point, but I was expecting $150RRP. Looks like I might only be picking up Nisemonogatari in this case, although I still haven't seen it in any form. Apparently the Oreimo LE sets go for a tidy (read: ridiculous) sum on eBay and Amazon, so I may attempt to flog mine and put the money towards Oreimo.

AntAce said:
Damn, I knew AOA would be releasing Oreimo on BD at some point, but I was expecting $150RRP. Looks like I might only be picking up Nisemonogatari in this case, although I still haven't seen it in any form. Apparently the Oreimo LE sets go for a tidy (read: ridiculous) sum on eBay and Amazon, so I may attempt to flog mine and put the money towards Oreimo.

I was expecting $150 mark aswell. No way I can justify spending that much for a double dip.

Now that i've looked into Nisemonogatari i've realised it's only 11 episodes aswell, at least its $40 less Bakemonogatari's price.

I hope these don't sell because **** no am I buying Sword Art Online for double that.

I'll agree in part, I don't mind putting up some cash to support things but some of these prices are rediculous, i'm looking at you fate/zero.

Rosencrantz said:
I hope these don't sell because **** no am I buying Sword Art Online for double that.

I'll agree in part, I don't mind putting up some cash to support things but some of these prices are rediculous, i'm looking at you fate/zero.

Wasn't Fate/Zero a direct import though, released on the same day as the JP release? It all comes down to the (ir)rational fear the bigwigs in Tokyo have of 'reverse importation'. As long as the Japanese fans keep shelling out stupendous amounts of money (although that is entirely subjective) for their anime fix, these direct-imports are going to keep coming. Luckily, being in the Region B, there is always a chance one of the European distributors will give one of these high RRP series a chance. Kaze are releasing Fate/Zero in mainland Europe, aren't they? While it's not a certainty, it's a possibility we'll see it across the Channel, in a similar fashion to Manga's Madoka Magica release.

AntAce said:
Wasn't Fate/Zero a direct import though, released on the same day as the JP release? It all comes down to the (ir)rational fear the bigwigs in Tokyo have of 'reverse importation'. As long as the Japanese fans keep shelling out stupendous amounts of money (although that is entirely subjective) for their anime fix, these direct-imports are going to keep coming. Luckily, being in the Region B, there is always a chance one of the European distributors will give one of these high RRP series a chance. Kaze are releasing Fate/Zero in mainland Europe, aren't they? While it's not a certainty, it's a possibility we'll see it across the Channel, in a similar fashion to Manga's Madoka Magica release.

That'd be my hope aswell, being region B might finally start to pay off at some point

AntAce said:
Oh god no. I hope Kaze don't get the rights for the series here.
I want a proper release, not a heavily compressed single BD half series.

Mangaranga said:
AntAce said:
Oh god no. I hope Kaze don't get the rights for the series here.
I want a proper release, not a heavily compressed single BD half series.

Anime Limitedgot more than just duty free coming back from the US it seems.

Just Passing Through said:

At this time it seems we are relying solely on Anime Limited to kick ass

Manga are too variable with the quality control
Kaze seem to like locking subs and cramming too much onto 1 disc
MvM generally do a good job but arn't willing to commit to BD

Lets hope Anime Limited meets our lofty expectations

Just Passing Through said:
Fate/Zero and Garden of Sinners Bluray please please please?!
Rosencrantz said:
At this time it seems we are relying solely on Anime Limited to kick ass

Manga are too variable with the quality control
Kaze seem to like locking subs and cramming too much onto 1 disc
MvM generally do a good job but arn't willing to commit to BD

Lets hope Anime Limited meets our lofty expectations
You forgot about MVM's uninspiring Cover art ;)

But yeah I do agree, I am pretty much relying on Anime Limited to come in and scoop up the big titles which the other companies won't go near and give them a proper release.
Hell, I'll say it, grab the good titles and give them a proper release. As you said, Manga QC seems unreliable and they mainly only do DVD anyway, MVM are pretty much DVD only, and I won't start on Kaze again.

I'm probably just getting my hopes up too high, but I hope that they get everything down to their presentation right, even if it's something small like disc/cover art. It would be nice to have a NISA/AniplexUSA type company here, or even just a consistently reliable company which puts out quality releases.

As a side not though, if something would have to be DVD only, if Andrew can get NTSC DVDs here instead of PAL conversions I would be more likely to buy them. PAL DVDs I always skip.
ConanThe3rd said:
Really, I'll pay £40+/- £10 for a good BD Part release.
I have no problem with paying £30-45 for American Blurays, so if they can get appealing products out here, I would have no problem paying that much for domestic releases here either, maybe even a bit more. (Barebones Sentai Blurays are ~£38 each per half series with no extras before shipping from UP1.)
If they release something like Garden of Sinners, I would be easily be willing to pay over £100 for it though.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else find it odd than Manga chose to release This on Bluray? I just don't see it doing well for them at all.

Back