The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

1241511982544.jpg

Now that is genuinely mind blowing news. And we've had English subbed Dirty Pair TV - what's actually left on my list of "Things I really wanted, but never truly believed would ever exist outside the realms of fantasy?" I need to add things because they keep coming true against all odds.

Now I just need to win the lottery and learn Japanese (actually if I won the jackpot, I'd pay to have them translated and released in the UK and subsidise any losses just for the Hell of it - that's how much I love you all and/or myself).

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
Now I just need to win the lottery and learn Japanese (actually if I won the jackpot, I'd pay to have them translated and released in the UK and subsidise any losses just for the Hell of it - that's how much I love you all and/or myself).
Ha, I had similar plans for Legend of the Galactic Heroes if I ever won the lottery jackpot. Course, I'd have to actually play the lottery first.

You never know, these BD sets may include English subtitles. If they do, I could probably afford the MI ones by selling my DVDs - boxes 7 & 8 go for obscene amounts. But I much prefer the MI manga over the anime, so if had the money I'd definitely go for UY instead. Animeigo are wonderful, and they did great in getting the whole show out, but those discs look like **** and that cover art is what the term half-arsed was invented for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosencrantz said:
Mohawk52 said:
Joshawott said:
You know this will be sanitized to bits.

It's a late time slot so it might not have to be cut, though perhaps they will use the original version that aired in Japan that is also more TV friendly?
So then to rate it as a "children's show" is a bit pointless, unless Auzzy parents let their offspring stay up late as well.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Ha, I had similar plans for Legend of the Galactic Heroes if I ever won the lottery jackpot.
I should really watch that at some point.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ou never know, these BD sets may include English subtitles. If they do, I could probably afford the MI ones by selling my DVDs - boxes 7 & 8 go for obscene amounts. But I much prefer the MI manga over the anime, so if had the money I'd definitely go for UY instead. Animeigo are wonderful, and they did great in getting the whole show out, but those discs look like **** and that cover art is what the term half-arsed was invented for.
Quick, get the MI DVDs on eBay before they're worthless! I'm kicking myself over my damn UK Elfen Lied set... Could have re-bought the US one and made a tidy profit.

And yes, AnimEigo were equalled only by the late CPM in terms of having great classic licences, but abysmal packaging design skills.

Mohawk52 said:
So then to rate it as a "children's show" is a bit pointless, unless Auzzy parents let their offspring stay up late as well.

Well when I looked at the Channel it's on it's definately a Cartoon Channel, one that stops airing at 9pm. The preview is in an 8:20 time slot, thats the kinda time you'd hope they'd show the more grown up oriented shows, but from what I saw it's not that kind of channel

Does anyone actually give a sh*t when or why they're airing Madoka in Australia, or how it's being presented? Surely the good thing is that they are actually airing it in the first place?

ayase said:
Does anyone actually give a sh*t when or why they're airing Madoka in Australia, or how it's being presented? Surely the good thing is that they are actually airing it in the first place?

It's nice that it's attracted enough attention to be aired, and for someone to want to air it yes. But this is like when they went from Akira to trying to shock with Overfiend, approaching this in the wrong way could do more damage than good long term.

Damage to what? The reputation of anime amongst readers of the Daily Mail (or whatever Australia's equivalent is)? That's only going to make kids want to watch it more.

ayase said:
Damage to what? The reputation of anime amongst readers of the Daily Mail (or whatever Australia's equivalent is)? That's only going to make kids want to watch it more.
That may be true, but they won't be able to if it gets pulled after the bloody bits, and the freak-outs show up and noticing parents are ringing the station, or cable provider screaming bloody damnation. You know it's a good bet it will happen.

The Australian authorities do have a bit of a track record of when it comes to bringing the banhammer down hard on questionable content, but that would be dependant on anyone bringing it to their attention. Do that many modern parents really give a damn? When we talk about parents of young children, we're largely talking about people who grew up in the '80s and '90s now. And in this case, Australians. Neither are particularly renowned for their socially conservative views.

Parents born after '96 would be getting into particularly liberal territory yeah, but '90s births does now include 23 year olds... Scary but true.

And in 'Most Unsurprising News of the Week'

No Anime Nominated for Oscars

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nominees for the 85th Academy Awards on Thursday. No Japanese-animated titles were nominated, although Goro Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's From Up On Poppy Hill and Isamu Imakake's The Mystical Laws were submitted for the Animated Feature Film category. Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy, Memories) and Sunrise's "Combustible" ("Hi no Yōjin") short was also submitted for consideration in the Short Film (Animated) category. There were no Japanese nominees in the Foreign Language Film category.

The Animated Feature Film category has five nominees:

Brave Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
Frankenweenie Tim Burton
ParaNorman Sam Fell and Chris Butler
The Pirates! Band of Misfits Peter Lord
Wreck-It Ralph Rich Moore

The Short Film (Animated) category also has five nominees:

"Adam and Dog" Minkyu Lee
"Fresh Guacamole" PES
"Head over Heels" Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly
"Maggie Simpson in "The Longest Daycare"" David Silverman
"Paperman" John Kahrs

Miyazaki's Spirited Away became the only Japanese animated feature to win an Oscar in 2002. Kunio Katō's "La Maison en Petits Cubes" won in the Best Animated Short Film category at the 81st Annual Academy Awards in 2009.

Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's Ponyo qualified for a nomination in the feature film category in the 82nd Academy Awards, but did not receive one. Similarly, Mamoru Oshii and Production I.G's The Sky Crawlers and Masahiro Ando and BONES' Sword of the Stranger were among the 14 films submitted for the same category for the 81st Academy Awards; both were eventually accepted in the category but were not nominated.

In similar vein, can we have a Still No Non-Product-Tie-In Anime On TV This Week once a week on the front page, unless there's the odd Ghibli airing?

Back