The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Speaking of Gurren Lagaan on BD (Found this on ANN, so I'm not too sure whether or not it's legit):

ib23V6J0R5EjnL.png

theirsbailiff said:
Speaking of Gurren Lagaan on BD (Found this on ANN, so I'm not too sure whether or not it's legit):

People saying it's too pricey, which i'd expect to a certain degree. We all know that prices in Japan are high and there's reverse importing fears, the question is what % of people this represents.

I also find it funny they complain it doesn't go back to the animators, sounds like a legit concern, but it's a production comitee, everyone has a stake in trying to make a profitable Anime and not all of them do make a profit.

-edit - Ok spoilering that image did not have the desired effect of making it nice and small

Joshawott said:
Doesn't the Production Committee also include all of the sponsors, who would obviously be taking a cut?

It's only to be expected that if you put cash/work in you get a cut of the profits though, to be fair I don't know exactly how they split the proceeds up, so maybe the Animators really don't get a big cut. Seems unlikely though as thats the core of what is being sold and who'd agree to make something if they got totally shafted on the end profits?

Rosencrantz said:
Joshawott said:
Doesn't the Production Committee also include all of the sponsors, who would obviously be taking a cut?

It's only to be expected that if you put cash/work in you get a cut of the profits though, to be fair I don't know exactly how they split the proceeds up, so maybe the Animators really don't get a big cut. Seems unlikely though as thats the core of what is being sold and who'd agree to make something if they got totally shafted on the end profits?
Maybe they could be annoyed at how it's become a corporate thing? Which would be silly considering how popular Tiger & Bunny was...

I dunno.

It's simply a justification to make them feel better about importing the cheaper foreign release when it comes out. You hear the same logic all the time when people try to justify stealing music - although in this case, since no laws are being broken and it makes no sense to sell the same product for a fraction of the price in one region compared to another to begin with, I think that reverse-importation is justified. If the corporations agree that it's fair that westerners get the same thing at a fraction of the price for no logical reason, it's only common sense that people with the patience would turn things around for their own benefit.

I get a perverse enjoyment from it anyway since we are always being screwed over by region-related decisions -_-

Of course, when it sells badly and the companies see people saying stuff like this, chances are the foreign release will be stripped down and given the 'Persona 4' treatment. Which I don't think is a terrible response in this case as buyers can then choose between a fully English-equipped import at an eye-watering price or a terrible yet cheap western version. At least that way around there's some sense of balance to the arrangement and the cheap pricing the west enjoys - it's not like TTGL hasn't already had multiple well-priced western releases already. This is one for hardcore collectors.

R

So if you're like myself and enjoy Bakemonogatari and such, the new season in the Monogatari series starts in July and has been confirmed to be half a year long, or two cours if you prefer. This is pretty fantastic news.

Source

Arbalest said:
So if you're like myself and enjoy Bakemonogatari and such, the new season in the Monogatari series starts in July and has been confirmed to be half a year long, or two cours if you prefer. This is pretty fantastic news.

Source

Agreed, cannot wait :D . Nekomongatari: Black continued the standard of excellence for the series so I have no fears over any potential disappointment.

Back